Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)  (Read 454191 times)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Re: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)
« Reply #840 on: July 04, 2017, 01:28:02 AM »
Not that hard to realize how he'll be in actually. He'll be the guy behind the master swords and killing portrait from RoB

Not only that, but I also think Brauner's paintings must've something to do with this guy appearing in 1999. Maybe not directly. (or its juts me overthinking again)
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #841 on: July 04, 2017, 01:50:31 AM »
Not that hard to realize how he'll be in actually. He'll be the guy behind the master swords and killing portrait from RoB

Only one of these is correct.

Not only that, but I also think Brauner's paintings must've something to do with this guy appearing in 1999. Maybe not directly. (or its juts me overthinking again)

There is another result of Brauner's actions appearing in 1999, but it's not this character.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #842 on: July 05, 2017, 12:19:51 PM »
There is another result of Brauner's actions appearing in 1999, but it's not this character.

Heh, this statement possibly made me understand far more than I expected to know. Shall I ask it here or via PM?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #843 on: July 05, 2017, 01:05:22 PM »
Heh, this statement possibly made me understand far more than I expected to know. Shall I ask it here or via PM?

Send me a PM!

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #844 on: July 30, 2017, 10:49:18 PM »
That whole thing in Curse of Darkness about Saint Germain "having to go take care of something in the future" was a lost opportunity, just saiyan. 

Offline DarkDiablo1995

• Hunter in Training
  • Novice Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #845 on: July 31, 2017, 12:08:27 AM »
That whole thing in Curse of Darkness about Saint Germain "having to go take care of something in the future" was a lost opportunity, just saiyan.

I'm no Castlevania plot writer, but I'm fairly sure with those closing words of his, he's 100% intended to show up in the Demon Castle War at some point. Although given what he is, I can't blame him for being unmentioned afterwards.
"Ignore a Morris at your own peril, pal. We're not Belmonts, but we can still make your plans go awry like it's no big deal."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #846 on: July 31, 2017, 01:50:18 AM »
Galamoth would be a great excuse to make St Germain intervene, but I think its nothing new and plottwist already thought about that at some point.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #847 on: August 20, 2017, 09:42:40 PM »
+3

Hello. Long time no see!

So, on the past year we spent working on many, many concepts of this project. We planned stories, characters, enemies, themes, atmosphere. And, specially, long, loooong discussions about gameplay were had. Some content was also created, specially on the musical side.

Then, on the past months, we spent our available time working on something greater than simply written concepts, and today I came to speak something about it. For you see, it is our belief that we couldn't pass up on the birthday of Soma Cruz without making any announcements. 2017 is the year that Dracula's soul found a new shot at humanity, and we believe that this day -- the day of the same total solar eclipse that sealed Dracula's Castle in 1999 -- is the day when it happened.

So, to celebrate, I'm here to announce today that we plan to release a Gameplay Demo in December. A gameplay demo starring Julius Belmont.

This gameplay demo is exactly what it says on the tin: We are not showcasing an ACTUAL level from the main game, but instead a demonstration of Julius' basic gameplay. We are building a 100% original stage to demonstrate what to expect from Julius Belmont's capabilities as they are envisioned to appear at the beginning of Umbra of Sorrow, something for people to get a feel at how he is being portrayed, gameplay-wise.

Beyond that, of course, you're also getting a glimpse at the engine itself. Effects, movement, speed, performance, graphical quality. You'll have quite a bit more than a simple screenshot to look at.

So, it's high time we rekindled the flame of our promise. I've shown that the story is being worked, I've shown that the concept art is being worked, I've shown pixel art, music, but there is something you have not seen yet: Programming. This time we want the programming part to be demonstrated -- even if in a simple demonstration, for "consumer" standards -- to finally bind everything together. We hope you keep that flame alive.

So, that's it for today! Feel free to ask any questions, and I will answer what I can.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 10:09:12 PM by theplottwist »

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #848 on: August 20, 2017, 11:55:12 PM »
Dang that looks amazing! If I can ask, why is December being aimed as the target date? Are you trying to get as much of the project smoothened so that it's not a small taste but really a kind of "fullness" regarding what one should expect?

Also, will this demo include a boss and/or music?

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #849 on: August 21, 2017, 04:48:31 AM »
If I can ask, why is December being aimed as the target date? Are you trying to get as much of the project smoothened so that it's not a small taste but really a kind of "fullness" regarding what one should expect?

Exactly what we're aiming for.

Also, will this demo include a boss and/or music?

Yep.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #850 on: August 21, 2017, 09:21:59 AM »
Damn, this looks amazing!

Offline aensland

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Music Concert 1st Place 2017-02-Music Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #851 on: August 21, 2017, 09:44:37 AM »
+2
Reminder that today's eclipse is sponsored by the Umbra Collective ™ and the upcoming Castlevania Umbra of Sorrow demo, please wait warmly!

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #852 on: August 21, 2017, 12:23:28 PM »
Our marketing is going too far, I told you.

Offline eryson

• The Fangaems Connoisseur
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: DraculaXX (SNES)
« Reply #853 on: August 21, 2017, 01:36:41 PM »
Sadly the eclipse is a luxury that we cant enjoy in my country :/

But, as the project is in the way to be a game now, what is planned to be? a metroidvania or classicvania?

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #854 on: August 21, 2017, 01:55:14 PM »
+2
Sadly the eclipse is a luxury that we cant enjoy in my country :/

But, as the project is in the way to be a game now, what is planned to be? a metroidvania or classicvania?

Metroidvania. Huge map, items to collect, all that jazz.

Tags: 1999 Awes