Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania IV box art  (Read 40533 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 11:06:27 AM »
I definitly prefer the redone art over the Simon pic above. His hair was done better and his whip was a morningstar, chain as opposed to the leather one.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 11:52:44 AM »
What "redone" art?

Offline le052383

• Supreme Newbie From the Kingdom of Newbi
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania IV box art
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 03:21:28 PM »
I definitly prefer the redone art over the Simon pic above. His hair was done better and his whip was a morningstar, chain as opposed to the leather one.

-X

Same here.  The hair shown in the ad always bugged me when I was younger.

Offline le052383

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 03:30:35 PM »
I have a sneaking suspicion that stuff wasn't done by Japanese people.  I think the more awkward stuff like the JP SCV4 box art was, however.  Wasn't the Mega Man 1 U.S. box art done by Americans?  I remember hearing that on a documentary, but I could be wrong.

Other than the ambigious anime designs like Sonic and Mario, japanese boxarts are actually a recent trend that occured in the late 90s.  Before that, videogame companies would use american artist to grab the attention of the gamers.  This was before anime was mainstream, so having anime characters on artboxes back then wouldn't attract people to the title.

Konami is one of the few companies that had good US boxart.  I don't think any of their us designed boxart were bad.  Even their Goemon turned out cool.  Capcom, unforuntately didn't 

They mostly used US art back in the 90s.  Even their post Megaman 3 covers were done by americans.  They just alter bits of megaman's face to make it more western.

However, not every artboxes back then were good.  A lot of the US boxes were terrible since the virtually all characters were drawn in a realistic adult style.  I think a lot of people complained, which promopted the companies to use the japanese covers.

Offline le052383

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 03:32:15 PM »
What "redone" art?

He is referring to the final art.

Offline VampirehunterB

• Vampire Hunter
  • A Genuine Castlevania fan..
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 07:06:19 PM »
I also loved the barbarian Belmont ilustrations, but such themes are not adaptable today..it shall stay within it's classical era. I think Kojima creates stunning illustrations which makes CV unique, hope she will continue with the CV illustrations.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 08:17:58 PM »
To be honest, Barbarian Belmonts were never actually era appropriate...
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Lumas

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 05:59:10 PM »
To be honest, Barbarian Belmonts were never actually era appropriate...

But way cooler..

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 09:32:43 PM »
Barbarian Belmonts are always going to be my favorite Belmonts.

Offline ThePsalmOfNightfall

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2011, 11:34:21 PM »
barbarian belmont is the way to go!

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2011, 11:51:26 PM »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2011, 01:14:02 AM »
Now that's...a Belmont!!  ;)

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2011, 01:20:36 AM »
Dude those arms are so big i bet he couldn't scratch his nose...

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2014, 04:40:05 PM »
Resurrecting this thread because someone elsewhere was wondering the name of the Turtles in Time artist. Just checking to see if it's confirmed yet to be Stephen Poole or if that's the author's name of the GamePro article where that early Castlevania IV art appears. Stephen Poole is the name of an editor at GameSpot (and later Edge magazine) as I found reviews from the late '90s, so it's possible he wrote for GamePro in the mid '90s.

What would be a delicious bit of weirdness is if the artist really is Stephen Poole and it's the same guy who writes gaming articles and reviews.

Either way, I'm REOPENING THIS CASE :O because there's yet to be any concrete evidence of the artist's name.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Somacula

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2014, 04:44:51 PM »
Castlevania needs to go back to that artstyle where everything was action-oriented and the dudes looked like...dudes.

-X

I didn't actually mind the art style from the Lords of Shadow artist(s). There was always this fantastical yet masculine element to them that I just find really appealing.

Tags:

anything