Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: CV4 art - Tom Dubois  (Read 25633 times)

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2016, 05:54:50 AM »
Castlevania III ad

Turtles in Time ad #1

Turtles in Time ad #2

Offline bronty

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2016, 08:27:28 AM »
All the ones on the list so far are correct (even the ones with question marks) but it's not complete.   I'll try dig up the list I had going.   Plus other ads not mentioned here.   Getting a list of those will be the hard part

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2016, 08:55:51 AM »
What would you call his art style?

Is there a style or genre name for it?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 11:17:05 AM by Belmontoya »
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2016, 02:16:24 PM »
Alls I know is I've always appreciated how duBois fused great cartoony poses with high levels of detail. It's like a mash of comic book and western fantasy art, not unlike the paintings of Glenn Fabry and Simon Bisley.

Except that duBois has a greater sense of movement/action, more in line with someone like Bruce Timm.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 02:20:08 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline bronty

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2016, 05:29:22 PM »
Alls I know is I've always appreciated how duBois fused great cartoony poses with high levels of detail. It's like a mash of comic book and western fantasy art, not unlike the paintings of Glenn Fabry and Simon Bisley.

Except that duBois has a greater sense of movement/action, more in line with someone like Bruce Timm.

His style is his own, I think that's what everyone likes about it.   Very original work and not trying to copy anybody else.   I get why you compare to bisley, and that's a good comparison and one he'd probably like as he thinks well of bisley, but they are as different as they are similar.   He's just his own guy, as is bisley.

Anyhoo, I dug up this pic and thought y'all might find it interesting to see his work on different subject matter.   If you look closely the 7 dwarves and the old witch are all hidden in the background somewhere.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 05:34:11 PM by bronty »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2016, 05:32:02 PM »
Interesting. Found all seven dwarfs and the witch  ;D  not sure if Prince Charming is in there...
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline bronty

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2016, 05:34:46 PM »
I don't think so, at least if he is, its news to me

Offline bronty

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2016, 05:36:37 PM »
I don't think so, at least if he is, its news to me

Here's one more non-game piece and a 180 from snow white.   Made for a playboy article on rock groupies that got cancelled last minute.   Sorry for the shit quality image.

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2016, 07:15:56 PM »
Shit, it's great to have one less life question after all this time. #coolstorybro

Offline Sumez

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2016, 04:32:57 AM »
One thing that really floored me in that interview was the reveal that Tom's only insight into the games he were illustrating for came from VHS tapes that had to be promptly returned to Konami.

Look at a piece like the Contra 3 artwork. This is probably the greatest piece of official American video game artwork to ever be created! It's right up there along with my favourite Japanese ones.
While it's over-the-top cheesy, that's 100% in line with the style and feeling of the game. The image is LOADED with details without feeling crammed or flooded. But there's so much going on there. And EVERYTHING on the image is in the game! And super faithful to boot! From the look of the enemies to multiple actual gameplay elements! (the dual guns, climbing the arms of the flying robot, etc.)

If I didn't know any better, I'd think the image was created by a hardcore fan of the game. If he got it all from a tape recording, it must have been a complete playthrough of the entire game, with the intro sequence included obviously. No doubt, Tom took pride in his work, has an amazing eye for detail, and wanted to deliver the best he could.

I'd really love to see some more of the stuff this guy did. From non-box videogame art, to any commisions or spare time work he's been doing since then.
PFG9000, where did you dig up all these ads?

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2016, 04:38:19 PM »
Castlevania III ad

Turtles in Time ad #1

Turtles in Time ad #2

I've always wondered if anyone won that trip to Transylvania.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2016, 08:07:32 AM »
+1
Late to the realization that Dubois also did Bloodlines and Belmont's Revenge.

I would kill for those originals.

That's right.

KILL.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 08:13:28 AM by Sindra »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2016, 10:51:22 AM »
That...thing...looks like it needs a good long shot from a Proton Pack.  ???
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2016, 09:09:47 AM »
PFG9000, where did you dig up all these ads?

I have an embarassingly thorough collection of game magazines from that era.  Years ago when I was trying to figure out who this artist was, I noticed the similarity in art style.  I'm sure there are more ads that he's done, but I haven't had a chance to go through any of the magazines yet to look for them.

Tags:

anything