Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: COTM artist?  (Read 3192 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« on: August 07, 2016, 01:39:25 PM »
This website claims the box art was drawn by Ayami Kojima using a more anime style, but this doesn't sound right, especially considering none of that game's art shows up in her artbook.

Misinformation, then? Anybody know who the real artist is? I've always been curious.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 01:59:30 PM »
This website claims the box art was drawn by Ayami Kojima using a more anime style, but this doesn't sound right, especially considering none of that game's art shows up in her artbook.

Misinformation, then? Anybody know who the real artist is? I've always been curious.

I was about to say that the page was not saying Kojima made it, but then they listed it as hers... *sigh*

Anyway, I think the true artist of this boxart is Kazuko Fujihara. Don't quote me on that, but he is Circle of the Moon's character designer. I can notice some discrepancies on the style between the character designs and the box art, but this could be just  a different technique being employed.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 02:04:33 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 07:45:00 PM »
I notice he's listed as artist in a few sources, but yeah, I wasn't sure if that also meant box/character illustrations or just in-game art.

I've never heard anyone cite Kojima as doing the art so it took me by surprise. IGA didn't work on the game and she seems to only be employed for his productions.

Either way it's always been a cool drawing style that I wish had been used in more games in the series: kind of anime-esque but highly detailed.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 12:07:44 AM »
+2
The Japanese wikipedia claims Kazuko Fujihara is a synonym for Norikatsu Miyoshi. Here's her website:

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/plasma/jungle/
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 12:11:18 AM by Nagumo »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 01:32:14 AM »
This page seems to confirm that. I don't know Japanese, but through the mangled Google Translate text, it seems to say she worked at Konami for seven years after graduating university, stating that she did character designs and package illustration for Circle of the Moon, and that she went freelance in 2002.

I guess that's pretty much set in stone then.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 10:10:42 AM »
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/plasma/jungle/

Ooooo  :o  That's a sexy woman in skins if I ever saw one!
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 06:54:05 PM »
Word, CircleVania would've looked super-wimpy if Kojima got at it.  Good question, Freak. 

Tags:

anything