Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania's future  (Read 24173 times)

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 06:15:25 PM »

It's lacking the level design power of other classic CV's. The levels are too long and boring. The controls feel almost too tight (I know that sounds weird). And the music is just lacking depth IMO. Even something about the graphics bothers me.

Something about the presentation of that game seems like they didn't take it seriously. Almost like it's an intentionally nostalgic throwback to classic CV. It just rubs me the wrong way.

It should be one of my favorite CV's. But for me it falls short in just about every aspect.

I totally agree with that.  The  problem for me is that the Hard Mode in Adventure Rebirth is IMPOSSIBLY FUKIN' DIFFICULT and almost everything requires you to fight against RNG and other shit piles.  (Not to mention the Hard Mode stage 5 which is HORRIBLY long and must fight a tough and annoying Grim Reaper at last. I just don't like what their style of stage and boss creations that is to simply piss players off; I suffered from the stage 5 hard mode and failed for countless months but eventually beat the whole Hard Mode with 0.0001% luck. The battles that heavily  relies on luck/RNG is freakin' cheap)

The Rope problem I personality thought it was because the development team themselves didn't like rope action or suffered from some technical problem within rope action and abandoned it anyway. Since I personality don't like it It's not a big lost for me (Or added rope action elements in such an already whole lot of mess hard mode is literally impossible task for players to SIMPLY BEAT THE GAME). But WHY the skeletons can ride on the bloody ropes ? That's the serious question that development team have yet to answer
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 06:37:11 PM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 09:01:49 PM »
Damn, I must be the only one who likes AR.
Although I don't think the graphics are super-polished and there's any specific artwork, it felt like a SNES game to me which I sorely missed and enjoyed playing through at the time. Despite RNG and whatever I really liked the stages and thought that the approach to Stage 5 and the 3d effects added into the game with the spinning blades that go into the foreground and background were a nice touch.

Call me a non-purist but I found the original CV Adventure too archaic control-wise to try and play. Even though it's thought to be the better of the GB games I think there are still examples of GB games executed much better control-wise i.e. Kid Icarus: Of Myths & Monsters, Gargoyle's Quest (no 1), and Metroid 2.

I think the idea of the 4 castles with Dracula's rising out of the ocean is a cool idea though (re-used in COD) and it would be nice if they actually re-made the GB games as they were intended - with updated graphics and controls - at some point. It would almost feel like a Megaman Legacy Collection where you weren't getting ripped off :P
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2016, 06:25:20 AM »
I admit I have a few issues with AR, but it's a great game. Fun to play, has many series staples, amazing soundtrack, but yeah some of their design choices weren't so great. Of all the gameboy games, Adventure definitely needed the remake most, but man I wish Iga attempted to make a new storyline using Sonia, fitting her story into his cannon. Plus Legends needs some level design overhauls.

Speaking of Legacy Collection, I still do want it, but $30 for MM1-6?? Anniversary collection came out for PS2, Xbox and I believe GC... Has MM1-8, plus Power Battles (aka, most addictive fighting game of all time!!!). Wish they just rereleased that for PS4 and XB1, maybe included the X collection's compilation in there, but they're full of greed. Imagine all those MM games, plus all the X games for $30-40??? It'd be incredible

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2016, 09:47:13 AM »
Speaking of Legacy Collection, I still do want it, but $30 for MM1-6?? Anniversary collection came out for PS2, Xbox and I believe GC... Has MM1-8, plus Power Battles (aka, most addictive fighting game of all time!!!). Wish they just rereleased that for PS4 and XB1, maybe included the X collection's compilation in there, but they're full of greed. Imagine all those MM games, plus all the X games for $30-40??? It'd be incredible

They simply should've stuck every single pre-mega man X game ever made onto one PS4 disk. Now THAT would have been an awesome mega man collection!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 09:26:58 AM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2016, 04:48:34 PM »
They simply should've stuck every single pre-mega man X game ever made onto one PS4 disk. Now THAT would have been an awesome mega man collection!

The issue was that 8 was for PSX and SS and so runs in a completely different engine. Development time would've blown out and this was definitely a cash grab.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2016, 09:14:23 AM »
Thinking about Castlevania's future makes me feel sad and depressed so I try not to...

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2016, 09:44:21 AM »
Yeah, I'm kinda feeling down about that too... On the bright side at least we've got several fan games on the way to help with that state of depression. But I would definitely prefer to see the CV IP sold off to a more caring group of developers.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2016, 04:59:29 AM »
I'd say Castlevania's future probably lies with other games. The closest resembling Castlevania would be Bloodstained as Iga is making it. Castlevania same as Megaman has a future in transitioning its elements into other titles. When a game franchise dies, the memory the franchise does not die. Some franchises need to die. Its just their time. If I could make a game, I could say Castlevania would be one influence that I would be keeping in mind. Other games such as Chrono Trigger have been major influences of mine which can not be forgotten.

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 09:27:37 PM »
Yeah, I'm kinda feeling down about that too... On the bright side at least we've got several fan games on the way to help with that state of depression. But I would definitely prefer to see the CV IP sold off to a more caring group of developers.

This would be a great 30th anniversary present.

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2016, 07:54:16 PM »
I'd say Castlevania's future probably lies with other games. The closest resembling Castlevania would be Bloodstained as Iga is making it. Castlevania same as Megaman has a future in transitioning its elements into other titles. When a game franchise dies, the memory the franchise does not die. Some franchises need to die. Its just their time. If I could make a game, I could say Castlevania would be one influence that I would be keeping in mind. Other games such as Chrono Trigger have been major influences of mine which can not be forgotten.

I'd say you're right. Bloodstained will fill our metroidvania fix, but there are also tons of other metroidvania style games out there like Koumajou Densetsu 1 and 2, plus for oldschool vania we have older games like Rusty on the PC98. This isn't even mentioning all the fan games based on Castlevania and the ROM hacks for the original games. Personally I'd like to see a CV64 inspired game. I've tried the Souls games but they lack something in their gameplay (guess I'm just tired of EVERYTHING having a leveling system now)

I've said it before, Konami should license some emulators and release the games on Steam or GOG. They'd make a killing, because people do wanna support their franchises and or wanna own an official copy on their PC. Hell they have the Castlevania Contra collection that was released years ago for PC... Why not rerelease that digitally?? Capcom had some great success from MMLegacy Collection, and Konami could've kinda capitalized on that. Even Sega is getting love for allowing ROM hacks for their Genesis games on Steam, Konami could do something like that and get some good press. I don't run a company, but common, you can see some missed potential here, and they'd make a killing with digital releases. 

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2016, 09:52:07 PM »
Well Konami are trying to win back the hearts and wallets of their gaming fans apparently. So you never know what's around the corner, but I won't hold my breath. If they wanted to redeem CV they'd have done it by now.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2016, 09:02:05 AM »
I've heard they have some PR guy trying to get then some good publicity. Hard to do that when you treat your staff like fucking barn animals. CV isn't a money maker anymore I guess, but they're missing the point: they aren't releasing what ppl want from a CV game. Theres demand for it (Iga has proven), and they don't know what their customers want.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2016, 11:07:19 AM »
Hard to do that when you treat your staff like fucking barn animals.

I lol'd hard at this, just imagining a picket fence around the employees who are being prodded with a pitchfork and crapping all over the office.

CV isn't a money maker anymore I guess, but they're missing the point: they aren't releasing what ppl want from a CV game. Theres demand for it (Iga has proven), and they don't know what their customers want.

Thing is CV has always had one thing which is a money maker.. Dracula. The guy was internationally famous before the internet. Possibly one of the most well known mythological figures in history. Even if people don't play Castlevania they know what it is because of Dracula, only no one has done the guy justice for the better part of the last decade.

Also there are other games which in a 3d setting could suit CV's context and gameplay eg Bloodborne for one.

I'm not saying make a carbon copy, but there are ways they could make this thing dance and move copies hard and fast.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline chainsawmidget

• that guy
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2016, 07:47:09 PM »
Thing is CV has always had one thing which is a money maker.. Dracula. The guy was internationally famous before the internet. Possibly one of the most well known mythological figures in history.
So, would you be for or against brining in another major historical or mythological figure as the hero for a game?  For example, Billy the Kid, King Arthur, Sherlock Holmes, Abe Lincoln, Mr. Hyde, Thor, Cinderella, or Blackbeard.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2016, 08:46:30 PM »
The future of Castlevania is extremely uncertain right now, I'm not sure if it will ever get better or make another come back. Sad to say it seems like Konami could survive just fine as a company without any of their major IP's by just focusing on pachinko and mobile gaming.

Tags:

anything