Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles May 2013  (Read 108168 times)

Offline FireSeraphim

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Re: Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles May 2013
« Reply #105 on: July 06, 2013, 02:33:50 AM »
I dunno if it's just me but I decided to check this thing out. For some oddball reason it won't lemme start a new game from the titlescreen or remap the controls in the options menu no matter what keys I press.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2013, 09:24:13 AM »
Uzo is right you guys. The challenge level of this game is matched almost perfectly to the classics.

I think making an easy mode for Lecarde Chronicles would be a step in the wrong direction. It takes actual hardcore gaming skill to beat it, and that's the way it should be.

Mig and I will definitely be bringing a challenge with The Rise of Castlevania. We've even planned a special challenge mode that will allow players to compete by posting their scores online.

The worst monsters are human.

Offline Lecardus28

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: July 06, 2013, 10:52:04 AM »
If I may, and if you aren't tired of working on the game thus far, would it be possible to add a way to replay bosses?
Some of the boss fights in this game were genuinely fun, and I actually wanted to battle them a few more times for the hell of it.
However, if you beat a boss, the only way to re-fight them is to either not save after beating the level, or to replay the entire game over again.

If there was a kind of Boss Rush Mode, where after beating the game you can battle all of the games bosses in quick succession, it would add even more replay value to the game. Additionally, if it was timed, it would create something similar to the score system Montoya discussed.

Or, maybe it would be in lieu with what some of the DS Castlevanias did, and you could unlock different rushes (sets of bosses) to fight by completing a specific rush quickly enough.

I can't do much to improve the game (I have no programming talent at all) on a physical level, but I do want to try and suggest ways to make the game better than it already is.

I hope my suggestion is not unwanted, unneeded or useless in your current agenda. Again, Great job on the game and I love everything you put into making it!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: July 06, 2013, 12:11:33 PM »
Sounds like a lot of BAWWWW in this thread. What did you guys do when you played the classics? Save state your way to victory?

Don't even try to be like Esco, it's not funny. Back when I was playing the classics the internet was still new. My family didn't get internet hookup till around 97, so I was still playing games on my consoles. And yes I conquered them all (at least the ones I had access to which was the NES, SNES, Gameboy, Genesis). The only one I didn't have was Rondo cause I didn't own the turbo-due system nor did I know how to import from other countries back then.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #109 on: July 06, 2013, 12:27:10 PM »
Who would want to be like that idiot?

I don't treat my girlfriend like one of my possessions. I also don't blow up on forums and threaten to hurt/kill administrators for being banned.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 12:28:42 PM by uzo »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: July 06, 2013, 12:33:04 PM »
Haha, fair enough. I'm just really rusty is all. Unless you challenge yourself or find new ways to challenge yourself, you become stagnate. The last challenge I ever did was play through all of PC-98's Rusty, and this was back in 2003. So yeah...ten years later and I'm hella rusty.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: July 06, 2013, 03:25:48 PM »
Question for Mig: Did you play any other game(s) (PC, console) while you were developing The Lecarde Chronicles?

What a wonderful night to have a curse.

Offline mig3

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2013, 09:26:46 AM »
Hi everybody! :)

I have updated the game ( small update). It is available at the same link on my page.
The new datas can replace the former ones without problem with "Save files".

The texts are now corrected ( better professional looking ) ;D
-The soil in Northern Mountains 1 will be visible even if you not  have a "top" gfx card.
- Fast "exit way" in Cave 2 and Maze of curtains 1 after the item is taken.

The Katharina's theme can be found in the Kevin MacLeod site http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/?genre=horror

Horror section.

Katharina.....
(click to show/hide)
Some ideas could be set up as timed BOSS RUSH MODE.
An easier game? I have already thought about that..........Why not but i'm pretty sure that the game is not that hard with a careful use of special moves , subweapons and item crashes.

"Condemned area" is the hardest level in the game. It's because it is the last level before the final part.

FireSeraphim, your problem is really odd! Have you still got the same problem?

kaonstantine i do not remember the game i have played. I have played "Lords of shadows" . It was featured in the early stage of Lecarde's advance.Great game overall but some parts of it are off topic for a Castlevania.. Some areas of the first and third part remember me most Lord of the Rings than Castlevania.Anyway the Castle Part is a Jewel.Some other stuff like Final Fantasy XIII PS3 or Shin Maou Golvellius on my MSX2 + ( I'm pretty sure that nobody here know that game  ;D ).It costed me about 270$  ;D.

Offline Lecardus28

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: July 07, 2013, 01:29:08 PM »
Although I didn't have any trouble with the difficulty, I can see areas that (if slightly altered) would make the game somewhat easier. Not every area in the game would need to be dumbed down: simply altering small parts of a level can make a difference. Just some examples:

The Gardens: The platforming segment where you need to get to the other side of numerous switch activated platforms. If some of the enemies were removed, or an additional switch platform was put near the end, it would make that segment much easier for people who are not good at timing.

The Dungeon: The slowly moving instant kill spike wall is perfectly fine, but the numerous giant boulders (which can send you flying into it if they hit you) can be frustrating to get past. If you make an easier mode, reducing the rate they come out would make this area much less challenging to pass.

The Ghost Town: The section where you have to get to the door after hitting a switch and doing  roundabout platforming could have either reduced or removed bats. The bats spawn ridiculously fast, and considering that you get sent flying if hit while airborne (which is fine), this part can be made easier for less sure footed players.

The Golem Boss: The flying spike ball attack this boss does could have reduced spike balls, making timing a jump less challenging. it would also make the punishment for attempting and failing (which could lead to falling off the platform) much less difficult too avoid.

I hope these suggestions help make the games ease mode if it is to be created.

Offline Lecardus28

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: July 07, 2013, 01:34:18 PM »
Making a harder mode seems like a great idea. Do you guys plan to add incentive to doing so?

Maybe making additional modes only unlockable after beating the game on the harder mode, such as a boss rush or a "Time Attack" where you try to complete the levels the fastest you can.

Offline tom.b.reis

• Awards
« Reply #115 on: July 07, 2013, 07:11:06 PM »
Mig, thanks for the answers, but i don't found the Katharina's Quarter Stage theme on the site. Can you help me again??  ;D

Offline Lecardus28

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: July 07, 2013, 07:31:22 PM »
Unfortunately, the link I had gotten from Mig has expired, so I am unable to post where I got the song...

Offline Ralph

• Professional Lurker
  • Master Hunter
  • Hai.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Ralphy's Nonsense
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #117 on: July 17, 2013, 02:25:20 AM »
+2
After learning the guy who made those old Haunted Castles made another game, I downloaded this in a heartbeat. A friend and I both played this and we were very impressed. To quote my friend, "Are you sure this isn't an official game?"

Personally, I've got to hand it to you... this is probably the best Castlevania fangame I have played to date. The challenge was just perfect, the atmosphere was astounding, and the music placements were very, very fitting.

I eagerly await any further games you whip up in the future!
A wild Ralph appears.
Wild Ralph uses Teleport.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2013, 12:54:50 PM »
+1
Well, I finally managed to beat it (I blame the Condemned Area boss for keeping me stuck for two weeks).

I initially wasn't expecting that for the final boss, but it was quite impressive after a few rounds with it. Though, I personally don't think Toccata into Blood-Soaked Darkness "works" as well for it. That's just me though.

I do have a few bugs to report, too. During Epilogue Stage B, in the tall room with the wall-spears(that shoot out and can be walked on, sorry I don't have a screenshot), Efrain collided with one during a jump and instantly died. I don't know if they're instakill or not, but that isn't the problem. Efrain became invisible and the camera jumped downward. My guess is that he fell because he was airborne and became stuck in one of the other spears, but that's only a guess.

I also found that if Efrain collects two giant hearts (the ones worth twenty) at the same time, he will only gain twenty of them, rather than forty. I noticed this on the final area just before Katherina's first form. I don't know if this applies to all heart forms (since it's pretty rare for two candles to spawn the same heart every time), or if it's just for that one area; but it can and sometimes did affect whether I was able to beat her (in regards to item crashes).

But at the end of the day, though, this is amazing. Outstanding work, Mig, really.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #119 on: July 18, 2013, 03:04:59 PM »
Found a bug that I dont know how someone didnt find first: hold left and right at the same time, Efrain will start his walking animation while stopped.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags: