Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: RIP Encore of the Night  (Read 3324 times)

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« on: November 17, 2017, 02:42:35 PM »
Since apple stopped supporting 16bit apps in its latest ios, guess it’s no longer possible to play Castlevania Puzzle: Encore of the Night on current apple products.  I’ve still got an old iphone that i refuse to update so i can still use my old apps somewhere, and it’s particularly important now to let me play this Castlevania museum piece now.  Anyone else take steps to ensure that you can play this little thing? Gonna miss playing this game?   I’ve still got an old flip phone with Order of Shadows on it too haha.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 10:42:29 PM »
I have an old ipod for encore, but I think I forgot to charge it for a long time... oops.
I have an existing flip phone that I still use. Don't part me away from my old sony ericsson. LOL It has Order, Aria and Dawn installed.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 12:23:20 AM »
+1
one the one hand

-mediocre puzzle game lost

on the other hand

-apple being the usual hip cool kids club and outdoing themselves yet again on stupid business decisions

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 04:32:01 AM »
I always wanted to play OOS on a Nokia NGage, alas that ship has now sailed and has by now, probably sunk into the briny deep of Gaming Historia.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 04:55:07 AM »
on the other hand

-apple being the usual hip cool kids club and outdoing themselves yet again on stupid business decisions

It's more than trivial on their end actually. Not supporting 16bit apps inst really a way to push you to something new or whatever, it has more to do about the processor they use in the phone. Windows went through this transition too. The 32bit versions of Windows supported 16bit applications, but 64bit processors typically lost their 16bit mode so they were unable to run on those processors. But those routines take up space in the processor, and at some point you have to cut those to progress the chip.

I imagine the same thing is happening here.

And yes, it is technically possible to emulate 16 bit support, but is it worth it for Apple to sink a huge bunch of manpower and cost into that? Then when 32bit gets removed off the chip, then emulate 16 and 32 bit, at more huge cost and manpower? I think you see the problem there. At some point it just doesn't become worth it to them. Not to mention software emulated processor modes are SLOW. Whatever app you're using with it would be heavily slowed down. Not an easy thing to explain to the customers as well.

On top of that Apple gives ample opportunity for you to reupload your app compiled into 64bit. They do hand out the libraries ahead of time. We got them and used them to remain compatible.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 05:37:37 AM »
my dude i don't have IT degrees and certs for not knowing anything  :P

Not supporting 16bit apps inst really a way to push you to something new or whatever, it has more to do about the processor they use in the phone

pushing something "new" is and always has been apple's gimmick so i have nothing to say here as it's business per usual for them

but new doesn't necessarily mean good or smart--look at the whole 3.5 jack fiasco for reference

was it a sound business strategy to pair the devices with a new line of wireless headsets as well as existing ones? sure, but you also cut off a portion of your demographic base who either doesn't want or can't afford those extra gadgets (that so many people fell for the "drill into phone and there's the jack" thing should be indicative of this...well, that and people are stupid)

and yeah, something something "times are changing, stuff's moving away from wired, etc.", but we're not at this cusp of tech utopia godhood where EVERYONE needs to make the switch or be left in the dust like some people (read: apple) seem to think we are

i mean, look at how many businesses and places and people still run on WELL obsolete OS's like XP and even win95 in some circumstances--we're not at the technological revolution of the future juuuuust yet

Windows went through this transition too. The 32bit versions of Windows supported 16bit applications, but 64bit processors typically lost their 16bit mode so they were unable to run on those processors. But those routines take up space in the processor, and at some point you have to cut those to progress the chip.

yes, they did, but i note a significant difference between practices of the two companies (as is their prerogative) in that windows doesn't treat its products like an elite superforce with members only jackets as a door prize--you don't see windows phones going for a thousand dollars for a slightly brighter screen and lack of an audio jack, for example

And yes, it is technically possible to emulate 16 bit support, but is it worth it for Apple to sink a huge bunch of manpower and cost into that? Then when 32bit gets removed off the chip, then emulate 16 and 32 bit, at more huge cost and manpower? I think you see the problem there. At some point it just doesn't become worth it to them.

what problem?

the theoretical business-end cost-vs-supply-vs-demand-vs-practicality problem, yes, but i consider that theoretical

when you're at a point where you can charge a grand for a phone and nobody really questions it and sales figures deliver, i'm pretty sure you can afford to run some backwards compatibility on the next, newer, slightly shinier $1500 model with a 2mm-wider screen

apple has more than the necessary funding to do this, it's not a question of money

it's a question of their business model, which has always focused more on aesthetics and sleekness and their crisp clean image--it has nothing to do with them being able or unable to afford such costs, because they absolutely can afford them if they wanted to implement them

Not to mention software emulated processor modes are SLOW. Whatever app you're using with it would be heavily slowed down. Not an easy thing to explain to the customers as well.

i would imagine the big bad trailblazer trendsetter revolutionary corporation that is apple would find it small potatoes to build a faster processor to accomplish bittage compatibility--but again, they won't do it because it's not in their model to dwell for too long on older generations of hard-soft-firmware

as for the customer end...well, apple people clearly are able to adjust and thrive on the OS's inner workings in spite of the deliberate restrictions and complexities put into them, so i don't foresee this being a huge problem outside of the run of the mill lay user

and in those cases, that's what apple invented store "wizards" for, no?

On top of that Apple gives ample opportunity for you to reupload your app compiled into 64bit. They do hand out the libraries ahead of time. We got them and used them to remain compatible.

which is the only saving grace and free pass that keeps me from actively condemning the entire thing as an irredeemably stupid move

i still think it's ultimately stupid, but that safety net exists and i won't be an ass and pretend it doesn't
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 06:06:40 AM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 10:45:28 AM »
+1
one the one hand

-mediocre puzzle game lost

on the other hand

(click to show/hide)

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 10:18:31 PM »
Castlevania Puzzle was a good game. Only thing it was missing was an online head to head mode and it would have been a contender because it was deeper than your average puzzle game. Bummer to hear Konami pretty much have up on thi, but I'm not surprised.

Tags: