Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Is a Castlevania revival possible?  (Read 11896 times)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« on: December 11, 2017, 04:32:08 PM »
Metroid is undergoing a revival
Mega Man is undergoing a revival
Sonic might be undergoing a revival, depending on Sonic team's next move after Mania started it and Forces blundered it.
Mario and Zelda never left
Platformers are enjoying a resurgence lately

Is it possible?

I WANT TO BELIEVE
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 05:46:10 PM »
Sonic never really left either
There's been many hit-or-misses (mostly misses) but otherwise the franchise never "stagnated"

Rockman has arguably been in worse shape than Castlevania. I believe the franchise has way more notoriety than CV therefore way more fans have been disappointed with Capcom than CV fans being disappointed with Konami

There will be another Castlevania in our lifetimes, it's not a DEAD franchise like say, Alex Kidd or Frogger. If Adventure Rebirth was made today for the Switch i think that wouldve helped a lot. Plus the Netflix series received largely positive reviews I'm sure Konami has been paying attention to that

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 05:50:12 PM »
If there is, Konami definitely will not be developing it in house, or even by one of their second-party development teams. They've burned too many bridges.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline aensland

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Music Concert 1st Place 2017-02-Music Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 06:38:38 PM »
Yes, now that Kojimeme left Konami, there's finally spare cash for other games.
can't wait for a mobile f2p gacha castlevania

Offline Zuljaras

• Castletoria (Game Project)
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 10:19:24 PM »
Yes there is a future but only from the fans.
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 12:55:33 AM »
I hope it's not another pachislot.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 02:43:24 AM »
Plus the Netflix series received largely positive reviews I'm sure Konami has been paying attention to that

That's what I'm hoping can help pull it out of pachislot hell. The franchise really has nothing else going for it right now, especially under Konami's ownership. I hope for the best, but expect the worst.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 07:39:58 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EROcrezHwhE

Check out how much of this is Castlevania themed. Konami definitely still remembers Castlevania.

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 05:57:53 PM »
Even beyond the Castlevania DLCs, the fact they made another Bomberman (especially as a launch title for Nintendo's first system after the failed wii u) gives me hope. Sure Nintendo must've had a lot to do with that but it seems out of character for current Konami

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 09:12:37 PM »
nope enjoy your pachinkos.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 06:07:47 AM »
nope enjoy your pachinkos.

Nonsense.

Of course it’s possible and highly likely given the success of the Netflix series.

The worst monsters are human.

Offline BloodyShadowoftheDarkness

• I don't even know how I came up with this name
  • What a horrible night to have a curse...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 12:57:57 PM »
Personally, I have no hope.
Well... I want it, but I don't believe in the possibility now.

For many reasons, including Konami being Konami. Unlike Capcom, SEGA and Nintendo. Konami barely makes games anymore, it's all mobile and pachislot, which has never been a problem for me, until they started to do only those.

I want to believe that it would happen, but I'm not sure.

Sonic was always alive, it's just that Sonic Mania is a praised game, but that doesn't mean the other games don't exist (and Sonic Team wasn't involved on it, so... unless SEGA makes Mania Team a thing, not sure if that means much).

Capcom and Nintendo have quite a more hopeful side to their series.
Look at Street Fighter now, it's alive and well.
Not so much after 1999 until about 2008.
If you ask enough and support the series, they eventually try to revive it, so I was expecting Rockman 11 to be a thing someday. (and even 9 and 10 were technically a revival of the classic series, that had it last game on the Super Famicom in 1998)

And with Metroid, again... the Nintendo 64 had no Metroid, but then in 2001 the series returned.
Series sometimes go in a hiatus.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 07:53:49 AM by BloodyShadowoftheDarkness »
The morning sun has vanquished the horrible night.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 04:49:51 AM »
Konami PR said Konami was having internal discussions on what to do next and were considering bringing Castlevania to the Switch after how well Bomberman R did, but nothing is concrete right now.

This was back from June.

“All I can say is that there is lots of internal discussions going on within Konami regarding what games we can bring to the Nintendo Switch, other than Bomberman, a game which we are well aware of its heritage and how loved it and Castlevania is," Jones said. "So much so that Castlevania is getting its own show on Netflix and because of that, we’re hearing a lot of desires from our fans for a new Castlevania series.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/08/konami-is-discussing-bringing-castlevania-to-switch

If they follow the Netflix series hype I could see it being a Dracula's Curse remake.

I believe Castlevania will be back again one day, whether Konami develops it internally or not, a new team will pick up the reigns. I just hope whatever comes next is not as drastically different as the Lords of Shadow series.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 04:57:46 AM by OSM »

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 07:57:32 PM »
I cant picture Konami jumping back into that kind of game development any time soon. 
Hopefully, the fans will continue the tradition. We are seeing plenty of indie "metroidvanias", hopefully we can see one that not only capture the gameplay style of Castlevania, but the atmosphere as well.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:25:10 PM by VladOfWallachia »

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 08:10:27 PM »
I'm actually surprised Konami hasn't done anything with Castlevania yet, Wither Bomberman R, Netflix Castlevania, and Bloodstained, one would at least expect a SoTN rerelease.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Tags: