Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Animated series reviews.  (Read 34423 times)

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #120 on: September 05, 2017, 02:53:22 PM »
+1
http://www.cinemablend.com/television/1699639/how-former-castlevania-producer-koji-igarashi-felt-about-the-netflix-animated-series

The man himself chimes in. Iga:
Yes, I have seen it, I thought it was great. We feel that the people that were working on the Netflix series understood what the game was all about and probably enjoys the original titles. We thought it was great because they knew the ins and outs of it. The art style was also very fitting for the series.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #121 on: September 05, 2017, 07:15:20 PM »
Spoilers

that aside, what's really unnecessary is cutting Sypha's hair.  in the source material, Sypha has really long hair (even her sprite in SOTN).  well in CVIII, she had the hood on full time until the cutscene after the castle falls, but still, it's dumb the Speakers hide Sypha's sex by cutting her hair short, when that time and place has some guys with really long hair too.   Why don't they give her a face mask while they're at it then?    Ellis really dropped the ball on Sypha's hair design.   inexcusable.   that's even worse than what the Golden Axe Beast Rider devs did to Tyris Flare's hair.  Like it's so dumb. even as a golden axe prequel, you don't mess with a legendary character's hair length.    and Castlevania III animated series has no excuse, its based on CVIII time period, should it shouldn't mess Sypha's hair.

I don't see the big deal. Her Judgement design had a shorter look to it. And its part of something I loved int he series: Trevor goes to save who he believes to be a man, but turns out to be a woman; similar to how players thought Sypha was a male in the game until completion. Then Trevor claims the "floating vampire Jesus" could possibly be Dracula; while fighting Alucard in the game you think he's Dracula from the look and attacks.

It was very subtle and I loved how they thought of that; reminded me of my first playthroughs of CV3 years ago.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: September 05, 2017, 09:44:44 PM »
Trevor goes to save who he believes to be a man, but turns out to be a woman; similar to how players thought Sypha was a male in the game until completion.

normally i'd present a potential argument in lieu of the in-universe idea of posing as more of a man to move around more easily

but let's be fair here there isn't a thing about netflix sypha that could be mistaken as masculine so this potential explanation is already dead in its crib

plus nobody on tv's gonna do it better than arya anyway

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2017, 11:41:28 PM »
Sypha had long hair at the END of Castlevania III. Maybe a lot of time actually passed between when Trevor meets her and when the castle falls. You assume it takes just as long as it took you to beat the game, but Trevor does travel quite a long distance between locations on the map. It seems ridiculous that Sypha's hair would grow that fast, even then, but maybe her mystic powers had an effect on her hair growth.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: September 19, 2017, 07:18:57 PM »
normally i'd present a potential argument in lieu of the in-universe idea of posing as more of a man to move around more easily

but let's be fair here there isn't a thing about netflix sypha that could be mistaken as masculine so this potential explanation is already dead in its crib

plus nobody on tv's gonna do it better than arya anyway

I agree she couldn't be mistaken from a voice or character design perspective. Seems silly in the show's world but its a small kinda-easter egg for players of CV3. Outside of it being in the game theres no reason for the gender twist in the show

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: October 11, 2017, 01:18:36 AM »
+1
After watching the four episodes, these are the points I want to raise (maybe have been raised before, but what the heck)

1) The first episode: ugh. Hated it. The other episodes were much better IMHO, but I consider the first episode the most half-assed introduction to the story ever. Let's talk about Lisa:
-In a paraphrase to Boromir, You can't just WALK into Dracula's castle! What the heck. Couldn't they think of a better story for how Dracula and Lisa meet each other? Lisa just fearlessly traveling there alone makes no sense.
-Oh, I'm going to disregard the forest of corpses by the entrance to Drac's castle because he's probably not really a bad guy, just misunderstood. Evil vampire overlord? No, he's just misunderstood!
-Dracula is a master of science? What? I thought he's a master of black magic. But I'll disregard that.
-The church is evil and dumb and they burn Lisa just for befriending Dracula, ignoring all his warning. Well, okay. Could you make the church a little less evil, though? I mean, that's almost a cliche.

2) Too much gore and profanity. I mean, I could ignore the gore (though I really do think you can make a good Castlevania film with minimal gore.) And the series has A LOT of gore, which is unnecessary, since CV is supposed to be all about the action.  You could easily make a PG-13 CV film that would still be very good IMHO
But the profanity, ugh! Come on. Turn down the profanity, please! Do I really need to hear dialogue about ****ing goats in a castlevania film? Cringe is all I can say.

3) Other than that, I thought other parts were reasonable. The "Speaker" lore is quite interesting, while maybe too long. Action is good. I liked the action.

6.5/10
(7.5/10 if I disregard the first episode)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:23:10 AM by Mooning Freddy »
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2017, 12:48:58 AM »
I agree she couldn't be mistaken from a voice or character design perspective. Seems silly in the show's world but its a small kinda-easter egg for players of CV3. Outside of it being in the game theres no reason for the gender twist in the show

Except that their precious newcomers that are not fans of the original series and never played CV3 wouldn't know about it at all and have had that detail spoiled. And it was relevant in the original game because the church at the time was, like most of the rest of the world, an extreme patriarchal institution and would have wanted to hide Sypha's gender from the public for a bunch of different reasons. But since the show blindly torpedoed that aspect of the story in favor of demonizing the church as a whole, the gender twist was basically pointless.

This is why changing source material usually infuriates me. Most of the people who are watching these adaptations are not the fans of the original work. They are not going to care if things are different. Some of the fans will care to varying degrees. And the very fact they are adapting something in the first place is because there is interest in the original on it's own merits. Thus, making "artistic" changes to major parts of an adapted source is basically only guaranteeing to piss off a portion of the fan base. That is completely nonsensical, yet they do it all the time. And the kicker is that what they put out is usually sub-par. Hence why in 2017 people are talking about Castlevania for being the first video game adaptation to to get a fresh rating at that cesspool of an aggregation site. I've got some news for you folks, they could have done that a decade ago. [/rant]
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 12:59:22 AM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline gallandryal

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #127 on: October 16, 2017, 08:26:26 AM »
I think Sypha's past will be expanded in season two, and will show her ties with the church. More likely she joined the Speakers and cut her hair to escape the witch hunting orchestrated by the corrupt branch of the church? Makes sense and wouldn't hurt to add a flashback of her past or just mention it casually. Also more likely Sypha would let her hair grow longer after she married Trevor, since being a housewife, she would have no reason to try to disguise as a boy anymore.

Trevor will shit piss in his pants because of too much beer, start strut walking and then decide to walk without pants for the rest of the show?
Please, no spoilers, thanks.
Imagine Trevor fighting dracula drunk and without pants... so epic

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2017, 12:42:56 AM »
+1
Imagine Trevor fighting dracula drunk and without pants... so epic

YES PLEASE!  ;D

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #129 on: November 09, 2017, 05:22:55 PM »
Apparently the assistant director to this wrote the Bradygames Order of Ecclesia Strategy guide. Isn't that just so strange?

Tags:

anything