Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Animated series reviews.  (Read 34684 times)

Offline JohannGralog

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2017, 03:57:14 PM »
Haven't watched Spiderman Homecoming yet anyway so my bad.
(click to show/hide)

I watched the second half. The Cyclops scene and Alucard’s introduction were pretty fun.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2017, 06:06:15 PM »
^^ I deleted my post because someone beat me to it.
It's totally in Spider-Man 2. :D
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Sumez

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2017, 05:22:50 AM »
Castlevania III doesn't have "so little premise" nor it's "pretty much story-less". It actually is the one of the games with the most plot on the NES which, while not hard of a feat to pull off, IS a feat in itself considering how little plot non-RPG NES games had.
Let's just be clear here. Castlevania 3 is one of my favourite games of all time, and I'm familiar with the game's story. I love it for everything it is, and I truly appreciate the way it's told in the game, as a game, basically just depicting Trevor's journey to the castle, and meeting characters along the way that will help him in his battle, never going into details with stuff that it doesn't need to.
After a bunch of Simon games, Konami made the series interesting by introducing ancestors to Simon Belmont in CV3 and the Game Boy games, and the idea that the Belmont clan had an inherent ability to combat monsters that caused the rest of the world to see them as cursed and dangerous was something I found extremely interesting at the time. That's all the premise I needed.

Now, after running for many decades since, Konami has been adding to the story, and I don't think I need to point out how every game doesn't exactly add up, and how a lot of things had to be constantly retconned to make sure things add up (such as games turning non-canon, or the Dracula's 100 year cycle silently being forgotten, etc.). So yeah, games like Curse of Darkness and *shudder* Judgment added new stuff to the canon, but I'm extremely thankful that the show decided to ignore these sporadic attempts at expanding lore that was never intended to be expanded upon. The show is clearly meant as an adaption of Castlevania 3, not of IGA's distraught mind, and I can't imagine anyone believes the show would have been better like that. Instead they took what they needed from SotN, and implemented it really well in the existing story. I think that should be commended.

"Trevor's excommunication"? Not in the game.
I'm sure we have all seen this, but 1:16 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjdwYlvCDXA

(list of other things that are "Not in the game")
I'm genuinely confused by what you really wanted here. If the show is not allowed to tell anything apart from what's already depicted in the game, why would you even want a show in the first place? Just play the games. Adding new elements to an existing story (which is no different from what Curse of Darkness did) does not make it a loose adaption, rather it's what you would expect from an adaption. It would be a loose adaption if it actually changed the existing story, only taking inspiration from the source, which was something I would have expected. I was really surprised that it actually didn't go this route.
The only thing I can think of that's directly constradictionary to the story we were told in CV3/AD, was the part with Sypha being trained by the church, and honestly I fail to see how that makes any kind of impact on the story. In fact, considering the story being built around a church that burns people at the stake for dealing in what they believe to be magic, it would have been pretty contradictionary to have a member of the church practicing magic...

Sypha being a Speaker flies in the face of her origin story given on the manual
According to the manual, Sypha is a guy. :P
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 05:25:26 AM by Sumez »

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2017, 06:30:46 AM »
The excommunication thing is based on the wording of the English version of the game. In the Japanese intro it does say people feared the Belmonts because of their powers but then it goes on say the Belmonts suddenly disappeared one day and nobody knew where they went.

Also, the Japanse version never outright refers to Sypha as a man. In Japanese you can leave gender pronouns without it sounding unnatural and that's the case with  Cv3's Japanse manual. Sypha was always intented to be a woman.

Offline Sumez

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2017, 06:37:50 AM »
Well obviously. :)

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2017, 06:39:23 AM »
The final shot as well with Sypha and Trevor in Sypha's ending is also telling - it's the long, loose hair down her back, and how close she is to Trevor, with his arm around her.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2017, 07:58:30 AM »
+1
As far as the depiction of the church goes, I really don't see any problem.  You have one power-hungry zealot that's got thugs working for his ambitions in a time of crisis, and ignorant followers.  I guess you could point to the archbishop as well, but he barely shows up and is mostly just used to emphasize the hubris of of the people.  So that's two people and a handful of thugs that one of those two people has in his employ.

was the part with Sypha being trained by the church, and honestly I fail to see how that makes any kind of impact on the story. In fact, considering the story being built around a church that burns people at the stake for dealing in what they believe to be magic, it would have been pretty contradictory to have a member of the church practicing magic...
I suspect that this is one of the main reasons why they changed Sypha's backstory.  I suppose they could have gone the route of having multiple groups within the church that were antithetical to one another, but eh.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2017, 08:01:21 AM »
+1
All those reviews are good, the main criticism is just the season being short. Let's hope it gets CV more popular!

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2017, 08:09:12 AM »
+2
Let's just be clear here. Castlevania 3 is one of my favourite games of all time, and I'm familiar with the game's story.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:51:34 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2017, 09:51:48 AM »
To be fair though, the above mentioned series aren't as notorious for excellent music in the way CV is, especially in terms of sheer number of excellent tracks overall.  The Batman 60's show would probably be the most iconic of the series you mentioned.

While I agree to your firsts sentence, that doesn't mean Castlevania will be an exception not to use any of it's iconic music in animated adaptation. We could say the same thing with Street Fighter II which has an excellent yet iconic music for each fighters but none of their themes was used in the animated movie version both in Japanese and American version(Same thing as the animated movie version of Street Fighter Zero). Fatal Fury OVAs and Motion Picture is another example, although one track has a hint of Tung Fu Rue's theme in the first OVA, the rest are original tracks. Samurai Shodown too which none of the character's themes was used in the Motion Picture and the two part OVA.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 09:56:40 AM by Shinobi »

Offline Sumez

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2017, 02:38:07 PM »
@theplottwist

I think you're severely misunderstanding my post if you think I'm criticizing anything.
Look, I never claimed there's no story to CV3, just that the game itself doesn't actually tell a story the way that a movie or TV series would. I definitely believe that you are reading way too much into a bunch of games that were thought up one at a time based on what kind of story the developers in question thought would be cool to add. This is a series of video games, not a grand complex and epic mythos that was all mapped out ahead of time. And thank god this show doesn't think it was either.

I don't believe the show changes anything besides minor details in the storytelling that you'd see in any adaptions of any material, while you believe it's constantly contradicting everything that's going on in the canon you have assembled. I guess we will just leave it at that...

Yeah, I have read the Japanese manual, and I have followed the series closely since the 80s, taking in both the Western and Japanese versions of the games' promotion material, reading interviews, and hell even radio dramas and all kinds of other ridiculous nerdy things. I'm not sure what it is you think that I don't get, but the fact that I'm not taking everything literally and super seriously does not mean I "don't understand it". If you're gonna keep up this rude tone I'm not really seeing this going anywhere anyway.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:14:24 PM by Sumez »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2017, 02:52:38 PM »
+3
And there it is.

"You're just reading too much into it, god what's wrong with you? How dare you read into between-the-lines themes that I either didn't notice or don't care about! The canon was never as big as you say it was because I think so!"

And you people wonder why he gets annoyed.

"God, why can't you just let me have my opinion, I know just as much as you because I think so! You're so rude for arguing a different opinion, just let it be what I think it should be!"

And then you people wonder why he gets pissed about being told to shove it or being called rude or whatever else because he has the audacity to share and defend his opinion the same as everyone else is.

Especially when it's been well established that the man has leaps and bounds more connections and insights into the lore than the average fan that were earned by years of digging and work.

The conversation's not going anywhere because some folks can't handle dissent or have their opinions challenged without feeling personally attacked, not because one guy is arguing his opinion against others.

Hell, I'm in the camp that's (mostly) in favor of the show, and you don't see me calling names or arguing a pissing match of who knows more about the series, do you?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 02:56:19 PM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Sumez

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2017, 03:23:04 PM »
I honestly don't care that he has a different opinion about how the Castlevania "lore" should be represented in a cartoon show, I think everyone is free to think what they do. But there's really no reason to take up such a patronizing tone in his way of addressing me directly just because I dared calling Castlevania 3 light on storytelling.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:24:51 PM by Sumez »

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2017, 03:26:57 PM »
Now it's been stated by D9, possibly walking away and having a bit of a calm down might be a good idea.  Things are getting a bit heated.  We're all entitled to having our own likes and dislikes, our own opinions on matters.  Just because a view is different to one's own doesn't mean that their view is any less valid, and it doesn't have any relevance on who might have more, or less, knowledge on a series, as that's how it's certainly come across.  Now though, it's posisbly time to walk away fro the keyvboard for a bit, like I said earlier. 
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Tags:

anything