Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: DUSK, The true revival of Classic FPS.  (Read 2382 times)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« on: August 20, 2017, 10:20:50 PM »
http://store.steampowered.com/app/519860/DUSK/

This is insane how this flew under my radar for so long, but LGR didn't let that happen.
Shadow Warrior, RoTT '13, and DOOM, they tried, but DUSK captures the lightning in the bottle as if it still were '97.

Between MMLC2, DUSK, Sonic Mania (still waiting... and still dodging spoilers), Ys Seven, August is by far my favorite month of 2017 in gaming.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Re: DUSK, The true revival of Classic FPS.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 11:18:09 AM »
D44M doesn't exactly try to be an exact  90's FPS. it's just a 90's FPS through a contemporary filter. AKA it brings back the hallmarks of classic FPS design, (no reloading, no stamina management, no limited weapon capacity) in a modern way, while adding some new features, and also reviving classic Doom design philosophy. (metal, stanic imagery, hell, mars, vibrant visual design, etc) after Doom 3 tried to turn the series into the sci-fi horror genre, and the early development of Doom 4 was basically Call of Doom.

That said, I dunno. Something about Dusk puts me off. I'll probably try it, but something about it puts me off and i can't say what.

IMO, while gameplaywise, Strafe has nothing to do with 90's FPS design, it had the right "feel" of it visually and soundwise
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Tags:

anything