Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania IV box art  (Read 40548 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« on: January 02, 2011, 04:25:11 PM »
So, who did this illustration anyway? Judging by the drawing style, I take it it's the same person who did the US covers for Contra III, Castlevania III, the SNES Turtles in Time, and this TMNT game, among a number of others.

Really curious to know the artist's name.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 05:03:50 PM »
I love the older box art, everything looked like something off of a rock/metal album. Dracula's Curse and IV especially.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 07:46:33 AM »

I wonder if the very same person did the Bloodlines cover too?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 08:04:31 AM »
There's a distinct air of quality to the box art from CVIII and IV, and also Bloodlines.  There's lots of details on the screen and you can tell the artist knows what they're doing, since not only are they action poses, but the artist draws multiple characters, enemies, positions, and even architecture.  Hell, CV3's box art is Trevor on the Clocktower fighting a skeleton!  I mean, that's kinda greatly accurate, if you think about it.  It really made the gamers use their imagination when they got to the clocktower in the game and had to fight such baddies.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 09:11:20 AM »
I always loved the CV III and Super CV IV Box arts. They are both really great quality and actually do depict the games well. If anyone finds out who did these, I would love to see other non-game art they've done, if any.
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 10:18:01 AM »

This makes me think of a time when you actually bought games depending on the cover. There was no internet, no gameplay trailers, and sometimes even no reviews available before the games were already out in the store. All you could do was look at the artwork on the cover, and the screenshots, and then decide! Castlevania did a great job with the covers in this regard. While I prefer Ayami Kojima I really don't think her covers sell the games like that. They're just pretty to look at.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 11:48:42 AM »
This makes me think of a time when you actually bought games depending on the cover. There was no internet, no gameplay trailers, and sometimes even no reviews available before the games were already out in the store. All you could do was look at the artwork on the cover, and the screenshots, and then decide! Castlevania did a great job with the covers in this regard. While I prefer Ayami Kojima I really don't think her covers sell the games like that. They're just pretty to look at.

I really miss this time.............. :'(
Todays covers, aren't of these quality.......having memories from game boy black & white..........games.........
Ruler of Chaos

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 02:16:05 PM »
Castlevania needs to go back to that artstyle where everything was action-oriented and the dudes looked like...dudes.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 02:37:23 PM »
Castlevania needs to go back to that artstyle where everything was action-oriented and the dudes looked like...dudes.

-X
Castlevania 3DS should use the older art style for the box art. I think that would be pretty great to see.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 03:34:24 PM »
I wonder if the very same person did the Bloodlines cover too?

I always assumed it to be the same dude. Guy's got kind of a wonky style, but I like it—ultra-detailed and manly.

This guy deserves millions of BJs (BJs for me).
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline DragonsAndCarpetBags

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania IV box art
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 04:09:08 PM »
I always wanted to find a nice size poster of the CV IV box art, nothing like that seems to turn up on ebay. :-\

Offline le052383

• Supreme Newbie From the Kingdom of Newbi
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania IV box art
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 12:40:40 AM »
there is actually two diff variants of the art.  I remember seeing a variation of one where SImon has his hairdrawn in a different pose, uses a leather whip andsomeother changes

I assume Konami told him to change it to make it more accurate.

Whereas most 80s/90s boxart sucks for being too realistic, the konami american contra and cv ones are actually good.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 12:47:08 AM by le052383 »

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 07:52:22 AM »
The name of the mystery artist has been revealed :-X

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 07:57:49 AM »
I have a sneaking suspicion that stuff wasn't done by Japanese people.  I think the more awkward stuff like the JP SCV4 box art was, however.  Wasn't the Mega Man 1 U.S. box art done by Americans?  I remember hearing that on a documentary, but I could be wrong.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 10:25:55 AM »
Well, considering it's US box art, I think it's safe to assume it's drawn by US artists.

Stephen Poole, eh? I wonder if that is the artist's name or if the name is that of the writer of the article.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 10:29:41 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Tags:

anything