Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: CV4 art - Tom Dubois  (Read 25595 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 12:09:56 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 12:12:05 PM »
NOICE!
I always suspected Sunset Riders, TMNT (I think it was Turtles in Time) and Super CV4 had the same artist or team of artists.  Good to know my suspicion was correct.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 12:24:29 PM »
I still don't get why his name had to be kept obfuscaded and behind 7 proxies like that. It pisses me off slightly, actually.

What I did retrieve I sent to a collector from Canada who tracked me down. In return he sent me a new computer!

Hmm, so I'm connecting the dots now.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 12:29:45 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 01:00:24 PM »
Pretty sure that collector is bronty, who came here posting the same shit he did at the TMNT Technodrome board. Clearly he didn't want to give anyone the name because he wanted to snatch up every bit of remaining original art the artist had—in this case it was a trade for a f***ing new computer, clearly withholding from Dubois what his art could potentially be worth.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 02:19:47 PM »
Pretty sure that collector is bronty, who came here posting the same shit he did at the TMNT Technodrome board. Clearly he didn't want to give anyone the name because he wanted to snatch up every bit of remaining original art the artist had—in this case it was a trade for a f***ing new computer, clearly withholding from Dubois what his art could potentially be worth.

Exactly what I thought too after reading the mystery collector part. Which makes me slightly-er more pissed, as an artist myself.

Dude comes to the forum, sets up a reveal that never comes, withholds information that is quite valuable to the fanbase, while the artist, who should be receiving credit, is none the wiser. All the while he cries "MUH PRIVACY" as if the artist had agreed with this. Pretty shit move. And as you said, he's been doing this kinda shit for a while. I hope that, at least, the computer was a good deal.

I have read that Bronty is doing/is part of some "documentary" stuff, and I don't give a shit. He's been taunting people for years now, withholding collectors from obtaining their art or the artists from possibly getting a job related to this, or selling their works at a good value. I hate this kinda people. For someone saying he admires and respects the artist so much, he sure as fuck doesn't show it.

I'll make sure to get this info to the Castlevania Wiki and everywhere else I can. Fuck Bronty and his documentary.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 04:27:11 PM by theplottwist »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 05:41:04 PM »
Not a documentary but a video game artbook is what he told me; probably high- or decent-quality scans with artist credits and possibly profile information.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 06:58:51 PM »
I wonder if anyone's gonna go track down bronty's old threads and finally reveal Dubois and upstage bronty's bullshit.

It'd be a bit petty, but not at all unwarranted.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 07:17:52 PM »
Sadly, the guy won. I know dudes who would've paid good money for Dubois' original art; now it sounds like they won't have the chance, and we always knew this was the reason for bronty not mentioning the artist's name, because he'd already amassed quite the collection of original game art.

I'm not a person who would buy original art for hundreds of dollars, I'm just happy to finally know who the artist is.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 08:00:14 PM »
Sadly, the guy won. I know dudes who would've paid good money for Dubois' original art; now it sounds like they won't have the chance, and we always knew this was the reason for bronty not mentioning the artist's name, because he'd already amassed quite the collection of original game art.

I'm not a person who would buy original art for hundreds of dollars, I'm just happy to finally know who the artist is.

In fact I'm also very happy you posted this here, dude. I was itching to know who did this artwork for a long time now.

My peeve with bronty isn't even his business practices. He wasn't satisfied with getting the deal, nooo. He had to flaunt the deal he got WHILE keeping the artist away from everyone. "Look at how exclusive I am!" This is just underhanded and unprofessional in more levels than Dante could imagine for his Inferno. You can't simply uncredit the artist you obtained the work from while crying "privacy" if you weren't the one to comission the work in the first place.

This guy is a joke. He obviously did this out of wanting to get a piss cheap deal and lock out any other potential buyer who would certainly have paid for this art very well. Here's the documentary thing I said.

But again, I'm happy you posted this here and for finally knowing who the artist is. This man is part of my childhood. The wiki has been updated accordingly :D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 08:56:54 PM by theplottwist »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 08:45:22 PM »
Holy shit, ha ha! I thought the guy disappeared a couple years ago but there he is, teasing the artist reveal even further and talking about a doc. Sheesh.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 03:18:43 AM »
I wonder if anyone's gonna go track down bronty's old threads and finally reveal Dubois and upstage bronty's bullshit.

It'd be a bit petty, but not at all unwarranted.

Seriously. I would just out of principle, if I could be assed to sign up for a forum I'd probably never post on otherwise. But it sounds like it's a moot point now, anyway.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Danial

• you now possess Dracula's Wallet
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
Re: CV4 art - Tom Dubois
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 02:22:38 PM »
Thank you for posting this article.

I'm glad we finally got the name of the guy who contributed so much to the series' look, although I'm a bit annoyed with what bronty did also.  I'm one of those collectors who would have paid nicely for some of the original art.  I somehow doubt this computer that was exchanged for the art could even come close to the actual worth of those pieces.  And what's even more unfortunate is that if bronty does make a "documentary", he will probably claim the cost of the computer as a business expense.

A true shame.

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 02:45:52 PM »
Wow, that's insane that it took this long to find out.

bronty can eat a bag of dicks, also.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 02:50:26 PM »
Glad to know his name! I always loved that cover. I noticed the style similiarities in the TMNT in time cover too! This is awesome to know.

What's this Bronty drama about?
The worst monsters are human.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 03:06:23 PM »
What's this Bronty drama about?

To give you a quick summary without derailing the thread too much more (thanks in no small part to my ramblings):

Bronty came to the Dungeon a few years back with awesome scans of early, never-before-seen sketches and versions of Castlevania box art. When asked about who was the artist (because of course, since he gave no names), bronty put up the class act of not telling who they were for unexplained reasons. Then he said that "next year" the artist's identity would be revealed along with a lot of surprises. Guess what? Those never came. And I assure you bronty doesn't have the slightest intention of ever unveiling this here.

Then, looking up bronty, you'll discover that he's been pulling the same stunt on another forum for even longer. He's been called out multiple times on his bullshit, and had the audacity of "feeling offended" over the simple "who's the artist?" question.

Now, with the interview, we have connected the dots: bronty is a collector, and withheld the artist's name so he could get the artworks for dirty cheap money. Why, had he told us who Tom Dubois was, I'm 100% certain someone would pay much better than what the artist received for those artworks (a computer, really). I'm sure he also kept the artist ignorant of how much those artworks were worth, because I bet my ass he'd not give them up for a computer when they are worth much more.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 03:08:48 PM by theplottwist »

Tags: