Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: CV4 art - Tom Dubois  (Read 25376 times)

Offline LuxKiller65

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • My YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 08:45:21 PM »
I understand why he acted like this, in fact most us *collectors* would have done the same (i.e. try to pay less... wait, try to pay as little as possible... wait, try to trade it for something he probably got for cheap/free or whatever).

What is regrettable is the teasing/butthole part, where he came around here and that other forum (maybe others too) to show the artwork in our faces like "Nah nah nah I have this and you don't, and don't try to ask me who the artist is, 'cause I ain't telling you".

He obviously hid the lower part of the artwork because it had either the artist name or some kind of information which other collectors could use to find him, or at least find more information about him. See for yourself.

Artwork pic 1 --- Artwork Pic 2

Next time he can brag about his amazing finds AFTER he's done with his docu-whatever-mentary and AFTER he's done buying out all the artworks he can find. Just so he doesn't look like a total greedy idiot showing us something (for which we thank him, at least I do), but in a way that is very telling about what kind of person he is.

He wants to have exclusive items, avoid the competition, and then he wants people to admire his historical/preservation work or whatever he's doing with the artworks (I suppose it's scanning and providing back info about the author and how the arts came about).

Oh, and I do believe if he sees this thread he'll be thinking "What a bunch of jealous collectors/fanboys". :)

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 06:22:44 AM »
This is awesome!  I've been trying to find out who this artist was.  I was actually just talking to my wife about this last week, showing her all the different art he did.

Thanks a ton for posting this, Freak!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 09:50:44 AM »
Oh, and I do believe if he sees this thread he'll be thinking "What a bunch of jealous collectors/fanboys". :)

If he's thinking that then he's drawn the wrong conclusion based on his arrogance and hubris. Sure he wants to get his hands on some good shit first. So what, everybody does. But he went to extremes to do it as well as rubbing that shit in everyones' faces--Even before getting the stuff. That's a childish attitude on his part. Something you'd see in 6-year-olds. Some people just never leave preschool.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline bronty

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2016, 01:30:44 PM »
Lotsa unwarranted personal attacks amidst errors in fact here guys.   I'll take the high road and avoid returning fire.

Since the biggest beef seems to be that I didn't let the name be public, let me ask you something?   Where do you think Adam Gibney (the owner of that website) got the name?   From information I allowed to be publicized (specifically with respect to the kickstarter).   The reason you're reading that article is because I released the name for purposes of funding the documentary about Tom and some of the other fabulous artists that worked in this area... so that more can be known about these wonderful creators we all admire.

As for people suggesting I held back the name until I could buy the art, not at all true.   The simple fact is the art had already been purchased long before.   I've owned SOME (it was purchased with a friend/partner) of the art for many years now.   I had simply held Tom's name back, as previously stated, so that we could use his name and others in the documentary (and/or book - hitting a snag there with the publisher currently).    In addition, not that its anyone's business, but there have been other times I have sent Tom money. 

Frankly, I was naive to the fact that we'd have to release some names to enable funding of the documentary, and that's what's led to the current situation of Adam Gibney taking my information and scooping me with it.   Doesn't matter.   It was public info at that point, and at the end of the day its all helping more people appreciate Tom's art, and publicizing the name on my terms and timing did lead to excitement and successful funding for the documentary, which I'm very excited about. 

With respect to Technodrome.    I'm not super proud of how I handled myself on the first go around there.   I do feel there was a moderator there who was antagonizing and needling me without really having a clue what he was talking about, but I took the bait when I could and should have handled it better, so that's on me.   

Regardless.   I'd appreciate it if we could channel this energy into something positive like the appreciation of Tom's art.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 03:01:27 PM by bronty »

Offline bronty

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2016, 01:49:16 PM »
NOICE!
I always suspected Sunset Riders, TMNT (I think it was Turtles in Time) and Super CV4 had the same artist or team of artists.  Good to know my suspicion was correct.

Tom did about many, many boxes.

at some point I'll post a list, whether that's here or elsewhere, but the long and the short of it is basically everything konami/ultra from blades of steel through about 1994.

Sure, the style is hard to miss.

Just on the boxes you named -

Look at sunset riders.   Look at the horses - they are done the same as on defender of the crown and on lone ranger.      Now look at the train.   Its the same model train as is on TMNT in time and lone ranger.   

TMNT in time.   Look at the pirate ship.   Same as on Pirates.   Now look at the elongated snarling dino face.   Any time Tom did a snake (or in this case, dino looks similar) face it was elongated with teeth.   Yeah you can see that on CV4 but also on Bad n Rad and Mystical Ninja.

Lots of clues if one looks with a critical eye.    Hopefully some of you will enjoy hunting for them.

Offline bronty

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2016, 02:03:14 PM »

But again, I'm happy you posted this here and for finally knowing who the artist is. This man is part of my childhood. The wiki has been updated accordingly :D

Not super familiar with how wiki works but saw you updated it for cv2 gb.

In the interests of keeping information accurate, the CV pieces he did were

Cv3 NES
cv4 SNES
cv2 gb
cv bloodlines genesis.

No others.

Legends was someone else, Cv 1 & 2 nes were someone else, Cv SOTN was someone else, Cv drac x was someone else, cv1 gb was someone else, etc. etc.   Most if not all of the others came from Japan which I have no knowledge about.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 02:04:48 PM by bronty »

Offline bronty

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2016, 03:11:54 PM »

Now, with the interview, we have connected the dots: bronty is a collector, and withheld the artist's name so he could get the artworks for dirty cheap money. Why, had he told us who Tom Dubois was, I'm 100% certain someone would pay much better than what the artist received for those artworks (a computer, really). I'm sure he also kept the artist ignorant of how much those artworks were worth, because I bet my ass he'd not give them up for a computer when they are worth much more.

I'll skip being offended, but I'll just point out the gaps in your reasoning:

a) you don't know which pieces I purchased let alone what they are worth
b) you don't know what I paid Tom (the computer was a specific model at his request in lieu of an equivalent amount of cash)
c) you don't know when I purchased them
d) you don't know what the art was worth when I purchased it.

Long story short when I started buying this art from Tom and others nearly ten years ago, no one was interested in it, except myself and one other person.   Almost none of this stuff ever makes its way onto ebay, but on the rare occasions when a piece did, it sat with zero bids except our own.    There was no market at that time.   In recent years, people have started to be interested and paid at times very good money.   That not much different than the history with the games themselves, yes?   Back when I started collecting the games themselves, gamees that are now $1000 and fought over you could buy for $100 or less with very little competition.   

Would I have paid Tom more?  In honesty, yes.  I would have paid him anything I could afford.   I offered him a price I thought was reasonable and almost double what those ebay auctions were getting because frankly I found that in general, I had to pay more privately than at ebay to make people want to bother selling.   He accepted and I'm proud to have known him a little and to have the opportunity to look at some of his artwork from time to time, in the flesh.

Would anyone else have paid Tom more at the time?  Not to my knowledge or belief, no.   Would anyone else pay more now, years later?   Sure.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 03:44:52 PM by bronty »

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2016, 03:48:15 PM »
+1
His name should never of been withheld from the fans for any reason.

It's morally wrong to do that to an artist

You owe the man an apology.

The worst monsters are human.

Offline bronty

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2016, 03:53:29 PM »
His name should never of been withheld from the fans for any reason.

It's morally wrong to do that to an artist

You owe the man an apology.

I don't agree.   I love Tom and I'd apologize if it were necessary, but promoting his art through the documentary and other channels is kind of the opposite of withholding his name, don't you think?

Yes, it happened on my timetable not yours.   So what?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 03:55:56 PM by bronty »

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2016, 03:55:39 PM »
I already gave you too much spotlight, bronty. I was writting a long ass text explaining exactly what and where are your new bullshit attempts on this response to me, but I'm certain the other members here are not dumb and don't need this explained to them, so there is no need to post it at all. You believe yourself to be absolutely correct in all accounts, so at least own it and stop spinning increasingly convoluted plots to justify your bullshit.

Consider this, however: You don't know WHAT I know or not to be telling me that I don't know something. You're bluffing. But I assure you I know quite a lot as of the present moment and I've verified that you're indeed a grade-A douchenozzle. You may skip being offended here too in yet another attempt at buying middle ground, I don't give a flying shit.

Have fun staring at your collection.

but promoting his art through the documentary and other channels is kind of the opposite of withholding his name, don't you think?

Now that it has escaped your control, you can claim whatever you want. Makes no difference to Belmontoya's point: You simply don't post an artist's art somewhere without crediting the artist. SPECIALLY when there obviously are a bunch of people trying to contact this artist. The artist is not your property and you have ZERO right to keep his name away from people. This is "Posting Art That Doesn't Belong To You 101."
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 04:02:26 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline bronty

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2016, 03:58:34 PM »
I already gave you too much spotlight, bronty. I was writting a long ass text explaining exactly what and where are your new bullshit attempts on this response to me, but I'm certain the other members here are not dumb and don't need this explained to them, so there is no need to post it at all. You believe yourself to be absolutely correct in all accounts, so at least own it and stop spinning increasingly convoluted plots to justify your bullshit.

Consider this, however: You don't know WHAT I know or not to be telling me that I don't know something. You're bluffing. But I assure you I know quite a lot as of the present moment and I've verified that you're indeed a grade-A douchenozzle. You may skip being offended here too in yet another attempt at buying middle ground, I don't give a flying shit.

Have fun staring at your collection.

Nothing I've said wasn't true.  Sorry if that's not good enough for you.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2016, 04:08:45 PM »
Yes, it happened on my timetable not yours.   So what?

So what?

It wasn't your creation. You had no right to withhold that from the fans all this time.

You manipulated him and now you're pretending that you did the man a service.

This is a forum made up largely of artists. Not sleeze bags who try to make a buck off of them. What type of response are you expecting here? A thank you?

I've spent many nights trying to figure out who the artist for CV4 was. It's my favorite game of all time. To think the info was sitting in your back pocket the whole time just because you felt like it sickens me.

I can think of a much more fitting response.

Offline bronty

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2016, 04:09:56 PM »
So what?

It wasn't your creation. You had no right to withhold that from the fans all this time.

You manipulated him and now you're pretending that you did the man a service.

This is a forum made up largely of artists. Not sleeve bags who try to make a buck off of them. What type of response are you expecting here? A thank you?

I've spent many nights trying to figure out who the artist for CV4 was. It's my favorite game of all time. To think the info was sitting in your back pocket the whole time just because you felt like it sickens me.

I can think of a much more fitting response.

Yes a thank you would be great.   I spent an hour or two a day for two years figuring out who he was.   

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2016, 04:11:54 PM »
Yes a thank you would be great.   I spent an hour or two a day for two years figuring out who he was.

You left out selfishly in that sentence.

Offline bronty

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2016, 04:14:29 PM »
You left out selfishly in that sentence.

If you say so.   

Well, I don't feel like this discussion is super productive.   Instead of focussing on the new information I shared with you such as the stylistic similarities in the way Tom rendered certain objects (you say you are artists?) you harp on at me about matters you weren't present for or involved in.   

You seem to be more interested in attacking me than in any discussion of Tom's art, and that's pretty sad.   You guys have literally not said ONE WORD about the art itself.

Bye for now.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 04:19:13 PM by bronty »

Tags: