Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: CV4 art - Tom Dubois  (Read 25630 times)

Offline bronty

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2016, 06:21:24 PM »
Hi yes I mentioned it above but you must have not seen it .

He did cv3 for NES, cv4 snes, cv2 for gb, and bloodlines.    All the rest came from Japan from what I can tell.  No other cv titles.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 06:23:30 PM by bronty »

Offline bronty

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2016, 06:28:48 PM »
Capcom had some of the worst, IMO.

When it comes to Capcom I think it depends a ton on what era you are looking at.    Pre 1990 or so their stuff is just terrible.    1942 and mega man and Commando and so on.    After that time frame, there is a lot of lovely stuff as well, like duck tales 2 and mighty final fight, and that coincides directly  with when they took control of their packaging over from Japan.   

If you put their covers on a timeline, you will see what I mean.   Starts out awful and ends up really nice.  Think mega man 7, X, X2 as opposed to mega man 1
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 06:53:19 PM by bronty »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2016, 06:53:42 PM »
He did cv3

Hah! I knew it! You can tell of his style by the way he colors his images. They all have that flowing quality to them. A misty, smoky look that seems to envelop everything in a complimentary way, but not to overpower, and/or take away from everything else in the images.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline bronty

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2016, 06:58:06 PM »
Hah! I knew it! You can tell of his style by the way he colors his images. They all have that flowing quality to them. A misty, smoky look that seems to envelop everything in a complimentary way, but not to overpower, and/or take away from everything else in the images.

Yes his palette is very recognizable.   When I had the aha moment , I could tell his Christian images were his before confirming just from the colors.   You'll see what I mean

Offline bronty

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2016, 07:02:20 PM »
Yes his palette is very recognizable.   When I had the aha moment , I could tell his Christian images were his before confirming just from the colors.   You'll see what I mean

Lots of pastel like hues as well

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2016, 10:09:02 PM »
Mega Man 7 and Demon's Crest are the two "bad art" games that first came to mind. More respectable than Mega Man 1 but still miserable compared to the Japanese art.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline bronty

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2016, 10:50:17 PM »
Mega Man 7 and Demon's Crest are the two "bad art" games that first came to mind. More respectable than Mega Man 1 but still miserable compared to the Japanese art.

Boy I couldn't disagree more re mega man 7.   I much prefer the North American art.   A classic IMO and the Japanese I find generic?    A matter of taste I guess, but if you haven't seen it google search mega man 7 , there's a lovely high res scan without trade dress on the Internet.   It's a lovely image.    They cropped it and changed the colours when they printed which IMO did the art a disservice.

Demons crest is... very...   early 90s.    Its way over the top but  I sure wouldn't mind owning the art, demon in a codpiece or no.   
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 11:07:00 PM by bronty »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2016, 12:36:02 AM »
Boy I couldn't disagree more re mega man 7.

It's such a cheesedick image. Mega Moobs. I never much cared for US box art that at least kind of tried to look like the Japanese art. To that end, the Mega Man 2 art is better from a design standpoint than Mega Man 3 starring Whoopi Goldberg—sure, Mega Man doesn't have a gun and he's not six feet tall, but at least it's a cool image. The alternative usually looks like bad '90s Disney VHS art: an approximation of the movie art but something's off, be it proportions, facial features, whatever.

If you're the type who doesn't care for manga-style illustrations, I can understand not really digging the Japanese Rockman art, but that stuff always looked great—nicely drawn, well designed.

By the way, I've never seen this ad before:

Shame it's so badly covered up by game screenshots but that's a pretty darn funny ad. I wonder if anyone's got the original piece?
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline bronty

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2016, 07:23:22 AM »
Same piece is on the manual cover if I recall.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2016, 02:38:36 PM »
Ah, right you are. (My brother has a CIB copy; I only have a cart.)

Never realized that was RoboCop and Terminator, lol.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline bronty

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2016, 03:17:08 PM »
Ah, right you are. (My brother has a CIB copy; I only have a cart.)

Omg I still didn't see it until you said it just now

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2016, 06:10:47 PM »

LOL! WTF! I see that now too. Wow. I wonder how many people let this slip by them till they actually caught it?..
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2016, 10:07:18 PM »
So can we make a list of everything we know he did?  So far we have this, and there are likely some errors here:

NES
The Adventures of Bayou Billy
Bill Elliot's Nascar Challenge
Blades of Steel
Castlevania III
Contra Force
Defender of the Crown
Double Dribble
Laser Invasion
The Lone Ranger
Metal Mech
Mission Impossible
Monster in My Pocket
Nightshade
Pirates!
Rollergames
Snake's Revenge
Super C
Top Gun: The Second Mission

SNES
Axelay
Contra III
Cybernator (cover and ad)
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Sunset Riders
Super Castlevania IV
TMNT IV: Turtles in Time (cover and ad)

GENESIS
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Lethal Enforcers II: Gun Fighters
Rocket Knight Adventures
TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist

GAMEBOY
Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge
Nemesis
Operation C
Raging Fighter
Skate or Die: Bad n Rad
TMNT: Radical Rescue
Top Gun: Guts & Glory

SegaCD
Lethal Enforcers

PC
TMNT: Manhattan Missions

(List updated 08/06/16)

I believe I've seen an ad for Castlevania III that was by him; it was a picture of Alucard, Sypha, and Grant morphing into each other.  But I don't have it handy to verify it.  I'm sure there's a ton more, but I can't look into it at the moment.  I'll be out of town the next few days, so I won't be able to update this list - feel free to take over for me, anybody.  And a lot of these just look like his style to me, but I could be wrong - let's pick the list apart until it's correct.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 06:00:30 AM by PFG9000 »

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2016, 10:10:35 PM »
So can we make a list of everything we know he did?  So far we have this, and there are likely some errors here:

NES
The Adventures of Bayou Billy
Blades of Steel ? ? ?
Castlevania III
Contra Force
Defender of the Crown
Laser Invasion
The Lone Ranger
Metal Mech
Mission Impossible
Monster in My Pocket
Nightshade
Pirates!
Snake's Revenge
Super C
Top Gun: The Second Mission

SNES
Axelay ? ? ?
Contra III
Cybernator (cover and ad)
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Sunset Riders
Super Castlevania IV
TMNT IV: Turtles in Time (cover and ad)

GENESIS
Castlevania: Bloodlines
TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist

GAMEBOY
Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge
Nemesis
Operation C
Raging Fighter
TMNT: Radical Rescue
Top Gun: Guts & Glory ? ? ?

SegaCD
Lethal Enforcers

PC
TMNT: Manhattan Missions

I believe I've seen an ad for Castlevania III that was by him; it was a picture of Alucard, Sypha, and Grant morphing into each other.  But I don't have it handy to verify it.  I'm sure there's a ton more, but I can't look into it at the moment.  I'll be out of town the next few days, so I won't be able to update this list - feel free to take over for me, anybody.  And a lot of these just look like his style to me, but I could be wrong - let's pick the list apart until it's correct.

You can find that here.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2016, 05:51:09 AM »
Wow.  I guess I didn't scroll down far enough on that page.

But that list isn't complete.  It doesn't show Metal Mech, Monster in My Pocket, Nemesis, or that PC TMNT game, Manhattan Missions.  It would be nice to get a complete list.  I'd love to see an art book, but it looks like he only sells prints at this time.

Tags:

anything