Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Enric Alvarez Interview  (Read 11616 times)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« on: September 21, 2016, 10:30:07 AM »
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-09-20-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-mercurysteam-konami

"The other relevant fact, and for me personally an important one, is gamers' feedback is essentially positive. Not from Castlevania hardcore long-time fans, because they hated us from the day we released the first Lords of Shadow;"

:^)

See, there is a reason why would one want to appease the "hardcore long-time fans" and that is THEY WILL REVIEW YOUR GAMES TODAY. They will review your games and, if they're not reviewers, they will quite easily sway the opinion to their side.

The long-time fans disliked your game because they were essentially regarded as nostalgia-google-wearing buffoons. You can't sprinkle references and namedrop things on your game and call it a day.

That said, LoS1 was a masterpiece. LoS2 is pure garbage with a nice texture.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 04:16:10 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 10:58:27 AM »
Lords of Shadow is a hard one, I personally enjoy them for the most part.
I wouldn't exactly call it a lose-lose situation, but I really wish LoS1 for the most part was seen in a better limelight, it's fun and the story is rather top-notch given that Castlevania isn't exactly a game known for a strong driving narrative.

If LoS1 were received fairly, maybe the quality of the sequels wouldn't have been so off, morale in the workplace is a hugely underestimated factor.

Still, I wish MS could revisit Lords of Shadow and release a Director's cut of LoS2, though it's unlikely

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 03:20:26 PM »
I loved LOS1. But man these guys are in denial about 2.

Batman VS Superman had that same drab, dull god I wish the was awesome but it's not feeling.

They're out of touch assuming that all longtime CV fans hated them. I was rooting for them.
They just blew it. It's not fair to blame that on longtime cv fans and critics.

I don't think any of us WANTED the game to be bad...

You can tell these guys are really butt hurt about it still. ????
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 06:27:46 PM by Belmontoya »
The worst monsters are human.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 03:36:25 PM »
I honestly feel like there was a bit of douchebaggery on both sides of the table.  The interviewer was asking some seriously nitpicky questions.  On the other hand, they totally dropped the ball so it's somewhat deserved.  I'm very mixed on this interview.  LoS1 itself wasn't a terrible game by any stretch, it just really should have stayed as simply "Lords of Shadow" and I think it would have done way better across the board.  But what do I know...

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 04:37:57 PM »
As I read it, some of the responses really seem to come across like they're still upset and trying to lash back or point back with blame.  Like the kid who started a fight on the playground but lost, and then came back like a week later talking trash and making bogus claims even though everyone knows what really happened.  I mean, maybe they didn't mean to be that way when they responded, I'm just saying that's how it sounds when I read it.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 06:23:09 PM »
Enric Alvarez needs to go have a seat. Jesus, the guy seemed like he was getting really heated. Dave Cox's responses were much more professional and didn't make me cringe when reading through them.

On a side note, why Enric Alvarez look like Jeffrey Dean Morgan
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline TheTextGuy

• Vampire Hunter
  • Rocket punch!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 07:44:11 PM »
So, Unseen 64 made a video back then about MercurySteam's Metroid pitch.  In the interview MercurySteam denied that they pitched Metroid.  However, the person who made the video, Liam Robertson, still stands by his stance, as seen by this tweet

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/778192259787395073

I doubt Liam Robertson has anything to lose by denying his stance to be honest, so I went from giving MercurySteam the benefit of the doubt to being very wary of them (again).  That, and Cox and Alvarez still seem pretty haughty like they've made THE Castlevania and that anything before is inferior.  Some things never change...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 07:46:20 PM by TheTextGuy »

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 09:52:39 PM »
So, Unseen 64 made a video back then about MercurySteam's Metroid pitch.  In the interview MercurySteam denied that they pitched Metroid.  However, the person who made the video, Liam Robertson, still stands by his stance, as seen by this tweet

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/778192259787395073

I doubt Liam Robertson has anything to lose by denying his stance to be honest, so I went from giving MercurySteam the benefit of the doubt to being very wary of them (again).  That, and Cox and Alvarez still seem pretty haughty like they've made THE Castlevania and that anything before is inferior.  Some things never change...

The Halo devs denied there ever being a Halo DS game until the footage was leaked. And even after leaks of Until Dawn's story expansion, the devs denied it being a thing until it was announced. Devs lie.

That being said, I didn't really interpret Dave Cox as being haughty in this interview. He seemed pretty professional. It was Enric doing all the "MAN WE MADE THE BEST CASTLEVANIA EVER". And to be fair, the LoS games have sold better than any other Castlevania game, so them pointing that out is a decent defense.

I will disagree with their "DURRR DURRR ALL CV FANS HATED US SINCE LOS1" because I was in love with LoS1 and if you go back to old threads I was defending LoS to the death, and I was giddy with excitement over its sequels and even pre-ordered and got LoS2 day of release. He doesn't need to get so defensive; LoS2 kinda sucked.

Also, I do call bullshit on his whole "STEALTH SEGMENTS ARE ONLY LIKE 8% OF THE GAME". That's absolute bull-kaka. They're very apparent in the game and one major section of the game against a boss fight was entirely stealth. They aren't "puzzles". They were garbage. It was a major part of the game that sucked and that's why so many game reviewers gave them crap for it. It's not like a bad menu or a small mechanic that can be ignored. It's a mandatory mechanic that is used multiple times throughout the game.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline TheTextGuy

• Vampire Hunter
  • Rocket punch!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 10:04:20 PM »
The Halo devs denied there ever being a Halo DS game until the footage was leaked. And even after leaks of Until Dawn's story expansion, the devs denied it being a thing until it was announced. Devs lie.

That being said, I didn't really interpret Dave Cox as being haughty in this interview. He seemed pretty professional. It was Enric doing all the "MAN WE MADE THE BEST CASTLEVANIA EVER". And to be fair, the LoS games have sold better than any other Castlevania game, so them pointing that out is a decent defense.

I will disagree with their "DURRR DURRR ALL CV FANS HATED US SINCE LOS1" because I was in love with LoS1 and if you go back to old threads I was defending LoS to the death, and I was giddy with excitement over its sequels and even pre-ordered and got LoS2 day of release. He doesn't need to get so defensive; LoS2 kinda sucked.

Now that you pointed that out, I'm prolly going to have to read the interview again.  Maybe Alvarez was that aggressive :P

Also now that I think about it, LoS1 wasn't unanimously hated around these parts; a base breaker for sure, but not unanimous and total hatred.  It definitely isn't a bad game for sure, just it isn't what me (and prolly others) were looking for in a Castlevania.

To be fair, wasn't that big on Mirror of Fate, and I haven't played LoS2.  October's rolling around, so maybe I might do a Castlevania marathon and include those games in to take a look at.

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 12:08:34 AM »
I liked LoS1. The best thing to come out of those games was this though

(click to show/hide)

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 01:00:14 AM »
Enric Alvarez needs to go have a seat. Jesus, the guy seemed like he was getting really heated. Dave Cox's responses were much more professional and didn't make me cringe when reading through them.

Totally agree. It was like a good cop/bad cop thing, almost. Alvarez sure brought a lot of salt to the table.

I really wanted to see them succeed. I hoped they'd take the criticism of LoS1 constructively and make a game more fitting of the Castlevania title with LoS2. I think they really did the combat well on the sequel, but that's about it.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 09:08:29 AM »
LoS had some wonderful potential.  By the end of LoS1, my heart was breaking for Gabriel, and he'd become one of my favourite Castlevania characters hands down.  I wanted to adore 2, but the modern setting parts just felt so sloppily done, and it felt like so much wasted potential.  It felt rushed, and creativity in places stomped on.  Enric just needs to accept responsibility.  The artbooks and the music were wonderful, and the first cinematic trailer for 2 along with the demo just sublime.  If only they could have matched that level for the full game.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 09:45:07 AM »
I liked LoS1. The best thing to come out of those games was this though

Carmilla is a knockout.  :D
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 03:02:35 PM »
Just because a game does well financially doesn't exactly make it a total success.  I think Alvarez is completely blinded to the fact that sure, it sold a shitload of copies, but it also amassed a lot of bad criticisms.  Money does not always equal success.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 03:40:41 PM »
Would the product cost have anything to do with the claim that it made more money?  If new NES cartridges were $30 and the LoS titles are $60-$80, of course it made more...I dunno!  I mean, I would think that is something that should and would be taken into account -- like inflation or whatever -- but I could also see it being easily overlooked.

I don't suggest this to rail them as the worst ever or anything.  I did enjoy LoS1 and MoF.  I haven't played LoS2...I have it, but sickness/transplant happened and I just haven't picked it back up yet.

Tags: