Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: CV64 + LOD questions  (Read 6257 times)

Offline xscientist5000

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
« on: October 05, 2016, 07:44:31 PM »
What is the sculpture in the storage closet in the villa supposed to represent?

Who originally wanted someone to meet them by the fountain between 12 and 1am?

The villa is connected to Dracula's castle through the tunnel / underground waterway. The lake is above both of these, does anyone disagree?

What are all the devices with purposes unknown supposed to do in the castle center and who made them?
(one is similar the refrigerator that the lizard men come out of).
Why is there a blimp?

The hollow metal pillar in the castle center - Someone once answered it is part of the elevator; But the engine to the elevator is in the room where you board the elevator. Does this mean the elevator could go down also?

What happens to Charlie Vincent in the good ending? Does he go down with the castle?

Why does the castle which sinks into the lake not have clock tower or a castle keep?

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 10:01:15 PM »

Dunno. It's just a statue as far as I know of.

Might have been Rose before she was cursed. I'm not too sure since it's been a while.

The villa is connected to Dracula's castle through the tunnel / underground waterway. The lake is above both of these, does anyone disagree?

No. It is what it is. Several different facets of Castlevania in other games have had similar recurrences.

What are all the devices with purposes unknown supposed to do in the castle center and who made them?
(one is similar the refrigerator that the lizard men come out of).
Why is there a blimp?

Advanced knowledge of things yet to exist brought about by Castlevania. Kinda the same instance with the motorcycle skeletons. That's about as good as my guess gets.

The hollow metal pillar in the castle center - Someone once answered it is part of the elevator; But the engine to the elevator is in the room where you board the elevator. Does this mean the elevator could go down also?

It's part of the elevator, I would wager. But it's not like you need to go down since you're character just came up from the underground via a different way.

What happens to Charlie Vincent in the good ending? Does he go down with the castle?

The good endings in either game never shows what happens to the hunter. I'd presume he's still alive and well. and after you beat Dracula he goes off knowing the world is safe. And realising that you were far more then he originally thought you were, decided to leave so as not to hear you brag. In the bad endings you have to fight him though. He's in one of the empty towers leading up to Dracula's tower as well as the merchant if you buy more then 30,000.

Why does the castle which sinks into the lake not have clock tower or a castle keep?

They were too effin' lazy to make the Castle properly reflect the one you travelled through. So we never get to see the clock tower or the two towers leading up to Dracula's tower. The only part of the castle that actually fits it the forest of silence and the outer wall housing the portcullis that you need to open. Everything else about the castle doesn't match up.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline TheTextGuy

• Vampire Hunter
  • Rocket punch!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 10:53:02 PM »
They were too effin' lazy to make the Castle properly reflect the one you travelled through. So we never get to see the clock tower or the two towers leading up to Dracula's tower. The only part of the castle that actually fits it the forest of silence and the outer wall housing the portcullis that you need to open. Everything else about the castle doesn't match up.

Never noticed that until now.  The model seems like "oh, let's make a castle, screw the details" instead of having at least some of the iconic details in there. The fact that the clock tower isn't reflected on the castle itself is a strange omission of detail in a series that, to me, is known for detail.  I mean the castle sprite in Castlevania 1 had a highly visible bridge (stage 3), clock tower (stage 6) and keep (final battle), yet this game doesn't.  The crappy castle model in the SoTN FMVs had a castle keep and a clock tower.  Yet this game doesn't.  Strange, isn't it?

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 05:50:23 AM »
Regarding the thing about 12-1am It could've been Rose but I'm sure that's to do with treasure of some kind coming out of that fountain. I have a vague memory of waiting there and/ or searching the grave stones followed by the top of the fountain to find some goodies, don't think it's anything game breaking.

Charlie Vincent survives in the cutscene pre-Dracula fight and it's assumed he escapes the castle before it crumbles. 

As for the Clock Tower it's laziness and/or directly behind the castle, false perspective maybe.

Funny thing about the Lizard man is you couldn't attack him in 64 but you can in LOD.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline LuxKiller65

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • My YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 07:39:49 AM »
Check this video to see the 3D model of the castle, although it's after it crumbles.

Looks like it' just a bad representation of the real castle, I don't think there's a hidden reason.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 08:09:03 AM »
I don't know if that statue in the storage closet is supposed to be anyone but it does remind me of Shaft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7_9MXlvJrM - pause at 8:58
versus this http://cdn.staticneo.com/w/castlevania/thumb/d/d4/Shaft_SotN_portrait.jpg/300px-Shaft_SotN_portrait.jpg

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 09:29:13 AM »
Regarding the thing about 12-1am It could've been Rose but I'm sure that's to do with treasure of some kind coming out of that fountain.

Yes, that's it! But it's only in LoD as the treasure you get from the fountain will unlock the gate at the center of the hedge maze. That was never an issue in CV64.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline chainsawmidget

• that guy
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 01:07:37 PM »
+1
Dracula sold them and bought a blimp.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 02:12:27 PM »

I always thought it was supposed to be some kind of prayer room and that the sculpture was supposed to represent the Virgin Mary or some other saintly figure.  The fact that there's a save point immediately in front of it where you "kneel" to save always emphasized this for me too, but then I also wondered why there would be anything like "prayer room" anywhere in Dracula's Castle (other than an obligatory save point).

I too always thought it was something to do with Rosa and leading the player to the prizes.

Offline xscientist5000

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 09:50:26 AM »
Check this video to see the 3D model of the castle, although it's after it crumbles.

Looks like it' just a bad representation of the real castle, I don't think there's a hidden reason.

I never understood how Charlie Vincent is fast enough to make it out - much less how he was agile enough to meet up with you for the final battle. He either took some game breaking short cut, or he wasn't bluffing about being the mightiest vampire hunter.

The statue in the closet, to me had something to do with Oldrey and his decent into the dark side. As if he made it to worship his new way of life. Maybe it is "Shaft".

I agree with the castle design; they just !@#%ed up.

Another question: Did Gilles de Rais own the Villa before oldrey + Mary + Henry lived there? Him and Actress are buried out front. We see Giles de Raise in his true form in LOD, but then in CV64 he is disguised as the Dracula from LOD. Dracula now looks like Malus, and later an adult version of Malus.

How did Rosa end up in the Villa? I'm guessing the same way as some of the other Vampire villagers - maybe they came by randomly and Oldrey bit them.

Some of these questions have been bothering me since I was 12 by the way (I have problems) - I even thought about trying to ask the director on twitter, etc., in case there was more of the story written that was never made public. But I can't find him, don't know if he speaks English, or if he would even be bothered to listen to a long time fan. Similar to when the water guy calls Captain Insano.

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 03:07:08 PM »
+1
DAMMIT!  i had a huge, intricate poast typed up and accidentally erased it while proofreading it :(
ah well, here's the abridged version of what i had to say -

I never understood how Charlie Vincent is fast enough to make it out - much less how he was agile enough to meet up with you for the final battle. He either took some game breaking short cut, or he wasn't bluffing about being the mightiest vampire hunter.
two words - TRIPLE JUMP! (as Jorge Fuentes speculated in a similar topic YEARS ago 8))
this mythical technique allows for a TON of shortcuts, many of which i've managed to accomplish myself, utilizing a super cool gameshark code - "press the L button to Levitate", allowing one to bypass entire portions of the game with a quickness!   however, without the triple jump skill, Vincent ABSOLUTELY would never have made it very far AT ALL!  (highly doubtful he'd even manage making it to The Villa *LIGHTNING STRIKES*, or perhaps not even survive the Forest of Silence :rollseyes:)  i can surely tell you that WITHOUT A DOUBT he would not have gotten even remotely close to escaping the crumbling castle after Dracula's savage beatdown.

truth be told, it wasn't actually established whether Vincent had managed to survive the adventure or not - he isn't even MENTIONED in any of the endings, or seen EVER AGAIN after he exposes Dracula's final form.  even if he did make good on his supposed escape, it was still a staggering act of cowardice/self-preservation on his part.  you know why?
BECAUSE HE LEFT ALL SEVEN OF THE CAPTURED CHILDREN TO DIE!  wow!  what a hero! :P  ...though they were thankfully saved by Henry Oldrey.

Did Gilles de Rais own the Villa before oldrey + Mary + Henry lived there? Him and Actress are buried out front. We see Giles de Rais in his true form in LOD, but then in CV64 he is disguised as the Dracula from LOD. Dracula now looks like Malus, and later an adult version of Malus.
not to call you out, but there is no proof whatsoever that Actrise or Gilles de Rais were buried anywhere in the game at all.  The gravestones out in front of the courtyard were empty, but pre-marked for Master J.A. Oldrey, Mary, Henry & an unmarked grave, (presumably for your character :o).

Gilles de Rais (a truly SICK FUCK if you happen to have read his real-life story) could possibly have owned The Villa *LIGHTNING STRIKES* at some point, since he was considered a nobleman who fought in the french revolution alongside Jeanne d'Arc.  now this next part is what i consider to be one of Dracula's most amazingly intricate plans in the entirety of the series - The Oldreys (an innocent & presumably religious family with no ties to Dracula), were compelled by Actrise's sorcery & the vampiric hypnotism of Gilles de Rais to move into.....  you guessed it, The Villa! *LIGHTNING STRIKES* as a way to trip up the hunters and stifle their progress in ways which i won't disclose because it's much more fun to figure it out for yourself...  (Master J.A. Oldrey was especially susceptible to their "suggestions", which initiated his unabating descent into madness, ultimately led to his demise
Meanwhile,  Gilles de Rais was posing as Dracula in a pretty successful attempt to trick the hunters, whereas Malus, through the entire course of the game,
(click to show/hide)

it's a shame my original post was destroyed, as i spent a lot of time typing it up and had some really interesting information in it, but ah well.  as someone who once upon a time transcribed EVERY SINGLE BIT OF DIALOG for both games, i absolutely LOVE discussing CV64/LoD and could talk about it until the end of time.  it has such a compelling story, some truly fascinating characters, and is what got me back into Castlevagina for the long haul.  it's actually the very reason that i ended up becoming a part of the CV community over 15 years ago.  sadly, the game gets bashed on wayyy too much because of the controls & camera (which i have NO problem with,  once you get used to them, they're great!), and this game will forever be a tragically overlooked gem that deserves to be remade almost as much as Castlevania 3 does.

okay, i'm done blabbing.  OR AM I?  yes i am.  but am i really?  hmm, probably not.  but maybe for now! 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 03:22:11 PM by redrum »

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 05:00:30 PM »
Charlie Vincent used a Game Genie and hit "moon jump" several times.
Seriously though there has to be another way to the throne room that the player can't see in-game.

Hypothesis: It's he took the path Cornnell initially took through the sewers etc and it was faster. Alternatively he just takes another path altogether, presuming Reinhardt and Carrie canonically split up after the villa and arrive at the throne room together and nobody sees Charlie Vincent until the end of the game.

The problem is that we don't know because in the game once you descend into the coffin in the villa, you just "appear" in another stage.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline xscientist5000

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 07:54:26 PM »
"Inscribed on the plate, a maiden sings a dirge" - Yet there is no statue on this pedestal. A description on a statue has never been done in a CV game before right? I remember in SOTN there was a part where you could almost make out the inscription plate under a statue. There were also inscription plates in the underground caverns.. always did wonder what was written.

"The woman who blesses and restores" - Why is this one in the game? Do you think it had some original purpose which never made it to the final cut?

"RIP Albert" in the tunnel... who was Albert??? Could he have been a character originally meant for Coller's path?

"Can't read letters because of the dirt" - What do you think was written behind said dirt?

"Books on every topic under the sun" - I don't really have questions on this one, as Dracula is probably interested in why the sun weakens his powers.

"There are books on Astronomy" - Always thought it was interesting how a different description exists on this shelf.

REDRUM - I would be very pleased to read your transcription of the dialogue. Are they in the past posts on here? I wish your original post wasn't destroyed because you said some interesting things in your post. I did do some flying back in my day with the gameshark. I remember finding some cool stuff.. even some development platforms, etc. floating out in space in the maze garden if I remember right.

-- Just wanted to add in - I could discuss this game forever as well - like you, it got me into the series. I always knew what CV was, but was never thrilled (I guess 1,2,3 were too hard as a young kid). The atmosphere of this game made me an instant fan. I was intrigued about the loose ends in CV64 (grave stones at the villa for example), then thrilled when LOD explained some of it. It has an intricate story with amazing cut scenes, and is the survival horror installment of the series. I get why people bash it, but SOTN and this are the pinnacle of CV IMO.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 08:06:37 PM by xscientist5000 »

Offline xscientist5000

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 07:57:25 PM »
I agree with triple jump - but maybe his weapons really are powerful. Maybe he can pole vault with that big cross. He's also sporting several sub-weapons.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2016, 10:32:59 PM »
Some interesting points.

Just to clarify that books on "every topic under the sun" is a manner of speaking, not necessarily a direct reference to the sun itself.

RIP Albert, who knows, that's just so arbitrary. It must've been an additional side character originally meant for N64.

The "woman who blesses and restores", surely must've been a reference to a statue at a save point at some stage.