Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: SOTN Hacked -Updates and Video....  (Read 13808 times)

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Castlevania: SOTN Hacked -Updates and Video....
« on: September 14, 2007, 02:48:48 PM »
+1
As usual... I put all my updates on the havoc forums, but I will put some info up here too since I love you guys so much.  :P

To keep it short and sweet... I'm done with most of the enemies in the game.... out of the ones left, other than bosses they should be quick and easy to tweak. The bosses however, usually take a few days just to do one. But when I say I change them, I mean sometimes to the point that it's like a whole new boss fight.

Here's a direct link to the youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xXE4dRXRS0

And to the havoc thread with all my progress: http://www.havocforums.com/index.php?showtopic=44783&st=60&gopid=119548&#entry119548

Sorry if it seems to lag slightly, my epsxe will only run at 50-55 fps when I am recording. Hope you guys like it, and be sure to check the notes under the video name as well. :)

P.S. Thank god for the new forums.  Nice work. ;D
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Link to the blog for the "hack:" http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania: SOTN Hacked -Updates and Video....
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 02:53:08 PM »
Awesome video, it was pretty intense  :o

Platinum Armor

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 06:45:39 PM »
Nice. Its way much harder than the original Creature.

Offline lovecastlevania

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 07:03:15 PM »
I'm done with most of the enemies in the game.... out of the ones left, other than bosses they should be quick and easy to tweak. The bosses however, usually take a few days just to do one. But when I say I change them, I mean sometimes to the point that it's like a whole new boss fight.

Wow, it just feels like a brand new game! Amazing, you are the best.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 07:16:04 PM »
Magnificent! I had my doubts about it when you first did it since the first or so vid of fighting Gaibon and Slogra was pretty stupid imo, but That Creature, was extremely nice.

Makes me look forward to it.

And lovecastlevania, your sig is awesome.

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 11:39:27 PM »
Wow looks amazing! :o I have just one suggestion; it disapointed me that drac only had one form. You might be able to add his dracx form to the battle :P and if you need an updated spritesheet I still have it.

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 12:34:04 AM »
A spritesheet's useless most likely. See, the monster graphics is tiled, limited in size and compressed. Not to mention he'd have to hack the asm code routines to add more animation.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 01:11:58 AM »
Wow!!!!That battle was realy wonderfull.Nice work.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Ralph

• Professional Lurker
  • Master Hunter
  • Hai.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Ralphy's Nonsense
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 01:34:27 AM »
Freakin' impressive dude, keep up the good work. I love boss fights that last awhile that make you feel like you've accomplished something upon beating them.
A wild Ralph appears.
Wild Ralph uses Teleport.

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 10:54:09 AM »
+1
A spritesheet's useless most likely. See, the monster graphics is tiled, limited in size and compressed. Not to mention he'd have to hack the asm code routines to add more animation.

Adding new animations for a monster would actually be pretty simple (though it would take time to make the animation look.... pretty. lol) if I was somehow able to find a way to actually get the frames into the game.

Geminimewtwo has an editor that already can uncompress and recompress the gfx into the game. But he says it only works right now on the images with stage names, which is what he needed for his hack... and since it was only intended for that he has no interest in finishing it sadly. Which sucks.

So until I can find someone with the talent to code something like this, I'm stuck just using the gfx in game that happen to be loaded at the time (I can't just use any gfx from anywhere in game, since they aren't loaded in ram). And in the cases of bosses this is very limiting. Right now I'm stuck on akmodan.... I was able to put in hit blocks attack (they smash you into the wall), but I had to use the HUGE blocks like the ones that are used to close the room. I'm right now working on his teleport, but my biggest issue with these bosses is their lack of enough animation frames.
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2007, 11:36:29 AM »
By images of the stage names, do you mean the ones that pop out when you first enter the area? I don't know really how it's handled in the psx copy, but in saturn nitm those images were in the same file as monster tiles.

Offline elbryan42

• Bargle Nawdle Zouss???
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2007, 02:58:26 PM »
AWESOME! As always, you rock. I subscribed to you on Youtube. :)
----------------------------------------------------
Check out Elbryan42's Doom Depot! Check out the Doom 64 TC and download some Doom music.
http://doomdepot.doom2.net/

Offline Raphael Belmont

• Completely New
  • Vampire Hunter
  • whatever!
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 08:34:09 AM »
..........must........
................have............
.................................IIIITT TTT!!!!!! :o

Drac's army of zombie-trannie-weirdos

:-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*

Offline Xain

• FIRE! FIRE!
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 06:18:57 PM »
Excellent job Esco! I don't want to even know what you did with Galamoth. (a missing item perhaps? lol) Also i feel that there should be a different indicator for bosses at low HP....that blinking is rather annoying. An enraged attack perhaps?

MM Battle Network Sig Project. And on the third day, Dr. Light said, "Let there be Roll."

Offline Esco

• Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 08:37:37 AM »
+1
NEW VIDEO UP! A demo of the new Akmodan boss fight! I won't even go into what HELL coding this thing was (750 lines of code, and it took over a week to do!), but luckily the rest of the bosses should be much easier. This guy was so broken I had to redo him almost COMPLETELY.

Make sure to check out the description I put up for more info on what's being shown in the vid. Because besides the boss fight I show the new and improved TNT weapon,  and the enhanced poison status for Alucard as well.

Here's a link to the video.. enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFRxi6CtoW0

And as usual a link to the thread with all my updates on the Havoc Forums: http://www.havocforums.com/index.php?showtopic=44783&st=60&gopid=119835&#entry119835

And now.... time for me to answer some questions:  ;D

By images of the stage names, do you mean the ones that pop out when you first enter the area? I don't know really how it's handled in the psx copy, but in saturn nitm those images were in the same file as monster tiles.

Yup, those are the ones!

AWESOME! As always, you rock. I subscribed to you on Youtube.

Thanks bro, glad you like it! Always good to hear from you! They still got you working like a slave at your job dawg?  :P

Excellent job Esco! I don't want to even know what you did with Galamoth. (a missing item perhaps? lol) Also i feel that there should be a different indicator for bosses at low HP....that blinking is rather annoying. An enraged attack perhaps?

Haven't worked on Galamoth yet. Medusa is next. And the bosses almost all get worse as they get closer to death.

As for the blinking.... it's a tribute to the old school Konami arcade games and a pretty effective indicator of how close the bosses are to death IMHO.

Sorry you find it annoying though dawg. :)

Tags: