Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: New Castevania vinyl, posters, and other merch coming from Konami and Mondo.  (Read 14920 times)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Eh, there was a building at the top of the swamps with a similar layout so I don't mind the locale in the artwork...
...but she's not nearly as cute/sexy as the CV4 version, even if the CV4 version had a questionable face.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
If the SotN one looks decent I'm definitely buying that.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Eh, there was a building at the top of the swamps with a similar layout so I don't mind the locale in the artwork...

There was yes. But in the game it was a lot more decrepit, barely resembling what we see in the artwork.

...but she's not nearly as cute/sexy as the CV4 version, even if the CV4 version had a questionable face.

Definitely so. I think that's the first time Medusa was fully nude for a US CV release as her CVIII counterpart was made into a man serpent instead.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
The more I look at the CV4 record art, the more I don't really mind it. I understand what Mondo is doing, at least: tying it into the upcoming cartoon.

Still, given the choice, I'd prefer original art. Mondo and iam8bit do some pretty questionable "bad fan art" covers, the former definitely much more guilty, whereas Data Discs are all about providing original game art, which I like so much more. I own the Snatcher record from Ship to Shore, and even though I'm pretty sure the cover isn't original game art, the rest of the sleeve and inserts are littered with vault art, which is awesome.

I don't hate Mondo's stuff though. The hope is that the mastering is done well, unlike their first CV record. I haven't plunked down for a record player yet so I haven't had a chance to hear my copies, but the fact CV2 and 3 provide both US and JP soundtracks means they're mastering at least part of the albums properly, so I'd be surprised if they're still doing that. I think enough people made a stink about CV1 that Mondo learned their lesson. CV3 was littered with sound effects on CD, and CV4 had some additional SFX like bells for the opening track, so if those are missing, I don't think there's reason to suspect they were taken from the CD masters.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
I finally got a chance to look over Mondo's Castlevania IV record, and man does this thing scream "half-assed." Sure the artwork's a little iffy, but the meat and potatoes of the release really show Mondo's laziness here. For one, the tracklist is ripped straight from VGMdb's entry for the CD box set, with its so-literal-it-hurts translations ("Mechanical Trick Mansion," "Dripstone Cave"). Two, the music has all the sound effects found on Akumajou Dracula Best 2, implying that at best, Mondo may have had access to the original master tapes and remixed them for vinyl, though who's to say they didn't just slap the CD mix onto wax? Either way, they didn't give this the care that Data Discs show their releases, by recording from real hardware and mixing it with original sound elements provided by the artists. It's really embarrassing and is making me think twice about buying any more of their records.

It's also worth noting that John Linneman (DF Retro) pointed out that Mondo's Contra 3 album is pitched differently than when hearing the game through an SNES, so even when they do record from hardware (or SPC files or whatever sloppy approach they may have taken), they don't even master that properly.

My hope is that at least the Silent Hill scores are being mastered correctly from original sources. If they're just putting the CD master onto vinyl, that's a huge letdown. (I don't have good equipment to properly check out my copy of the first game's OST.) Because at least with those OSTs, there's already a final mix intended for an album release.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
As a Mega Man fan, I can assure you, merchandise will wear out it's welcome all too soon, when the years start rolling by and there are no games, and just licensed media and merchandise. And when the only games that ever do come out are cheap collections and/or abominations.

Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
Sounds like you're enjoying MegaMan Legacy Collection. :P

"Mechanical Trick" Manor is supposed to be "Clockwork Mansion", right?
Clockwork Mansion is the first Stage 4 tune (the old SPC archives has that as "Trick Manor"), and "Spinning Tale" is the second Stage 4 tune.  I've never quite understood why it's called "Spinning Tale".  Maybe that, too, is a mistranslation?
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
I'm honestly far more interested in the art and other stuff than the the actual vinyl.  I've never really cared about that kind of stuff.  But I love awesome posters, especially of new artwork.  And everything except for Cv3 has been awesome so far.  And have you guys seen this Alucard statue?

This is some peak level merch for the series.  This and the animated series have my desire for Castlevania material pretty sated.  Just bring on Bloodstained, and I'm honestly all set.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
That Alucard statue is gorgeous! Me likey. ♥

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Everything about this statue are awesome, but the face could use some polish, for some reason Alucard's face is looking like a teenage boy.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
That statue is pretty good. I'm not seeing the teenage boy face though. it might just be the angle from which the shot was taken. A full facial  view might change the perspective.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Registered Massholevaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Smashing controllers since 1982
    • Awards

Halloween,Halloween,Halloween!!!!

Remember my name and know this. I have Suffolk Down Syndrome.

Stop me if you've heard this one.
A Belmont falls through a trap door into a square prison with no exits. After hitting three sides he smashes through the last one. Relieved and low on health he looks at the camera, smiles and says......"Pork chop?"
ULTIMATE FOURTH WALL BREAK!!! That just happened!!!

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
Corey Felducard looks kinda neat I guess.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
That Alucard statue is gorgeous! Me likey. ♥

Likewise.  I've been oogling this since I saw it.  I seriously hope that I can get hold of one.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Tags:

anything