Poll

What game in the Castlevania franchise is the worst?

Castlevania
0 (0%)
Simon's Quest
3 (2.7%)
The Castlevania Adventure
17 (15.3%)
Dracula's Curse
0 (0%)
Super Castlevania IV
1 (0.9%)
Belmont's Revenge
1 (0.9%)
Rondo of Blood
1 (0.9%)
Bloodlines
0 (0%)
Dracula X
1 (0.9%)
Symphony of the Night
5 (4.5%)
Legends
11 (9.9%)
Castlevania 64
14 (12.6%)
Legacy of Darkness
3 (2.7%)
Chronicles
0 (0%)
Circle of the Moon
4 (3.6%)
Harmony of Dissonance
5 (4.5%)
Aria of Sorrow
0 (0%)
Lament of Innocence
3 (2.7%)
Dawn of Sorrow
2 (1.8%)
Curse of Darkness
19 (17.1%)
Portrait of Ruin
4 (3.6%)
Dracula X Rondo of Blood Remake
2 (1.8%)
Order of Ecclesia
3 (2.7%)
The Adventure Rebirth
0 (0%)
Order of Shadows
12 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Worst Game in Series  (Read 51771 times)

Offline MeSako

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Worst Game in Series
« on: February 04, 2010, 11:22:51 AM »
We have a poll of the BEST game..
Now I present the poll for the WORST game.

I totally, whole heartily love this franchise, but as we all know , there are some black sheep in there, some games we don't like.
And since we all have different tast, we dislike different games.

Which one is your blackest sheep??

Offline MeSako

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Worst Game in Series
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 11:26:04 AM »
I myself went for Circle of the Moon.
Why? Because the controls where awful, and the interior of the Castle looked like it was built for giants. And much of the rooms where of screen, so even a small shack was two screens wide. And the bosses where most of the time off screen due to the big rooms!

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 11:52:05 AM »
I say CV64.  The camera sucked and the castle center seems nearly impossible to complete without getting blown up.  Plus, the character movements weren't fluid.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 11:52:21 AM »
l voted Lament of Innocence. I hate it. Its complete inferior to CV64 and it not enjoyable to play. The graphics are high enough resolution, but the design is absolutely atrocious. The combat is alright (its been done better in other games), the exploration is pretty terrible, and the level design is absolutely atrocious. The boss battles are not fun (The succubus is just annoying, the golem is pathetic when you spam holy water...). The only good thing is the music.

I understand why some would vote Legends, and it is pretty bad but I don't think people's expectations would have been as high. I still think its better than Adventure, despite the levels being quite boring, and its not as frustrating as LoI. LoI had so much potential...
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 11:54:54 AM »
Vampire Killer because of the poor hit detection (which is really annoying) and the super boring levels.   

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 01:14:01 PM »
Lament of Innocence. Why? Cause of Dracula's origins. The game would've succeeded had there not been that awful story contradiction.

-X 
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 01:36:10 PM »
Christopher is the slowest moving character in the series.

They chose to remake his game, because it is the worst in the series.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 02:23:07 PM »
I voted Circle of the Moon, but I would have also voted for Harmony of Dissonance, if I could vote twice.Both have terrible maps and level layouts, both have lame stories and I really didn't care about any of the characters in both. But, I still think they're good, just the two worst games in the series.
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 02:51:26 PM »

I was expecting to see HoD and PoR getting more votes here.. I'm also really surprised at CotM and OoE.
Personally I voted CV64, but I think Adventure is just as bad. Legends is a close third, followed by Haunted Castle, Vampire's Kiss, Legacy of Darkness and LoI (which honesly isn't a bad game, but there aren't many "bad" games in the series anyway, just "less great" ones).

CotM, CV64 and Legends are in the lead so far. So much for "IGA destroyed our beloved franchise!1"...

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 04:21:38 PM »
I know there are a lot of people who don't like CV64, but I'm surprised that people think its the worst in the series. Its strange that there is more love for Haunted Castle, Adventure, Portrait of Ruin, and Legends than CV64 :(
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 04:28:27 PM »
Curse of Darkness by far. At least Haunted Castle is somewhat enjoyable to play. Adventure and Legends are also fun. But, that old school 'Vania gameplay is where it's at for me.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline jimmay17

• "Naysayer"
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 04:33:18 PM »
I voted Lament of Innocence. It wasn't a terrible game, but it is one of the few in the series that I've never felt compelled to revisit after the initial run-through. I found it an un-involving, tedious button-masher with little incentive to explore or replay.

I've never played it, but from everything I've heard, Haunted Castle should probably be running away with this poll, the consensus seems to be it is nearly unplayable, almost certainly un-finishable. It probably would be leading this poll, of course, but for one inconvenient fact: It isn't in it, you've forgotten it, which says a lot on its own.  :P  
If I forgot "everything I knew about Castlevania" I certainly wouldn't be excited about a new one coming out now would I?

Offline Neverafter

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 05:25:34 PM »
I'll usually go with Haunted Castle, but then again arcade games can only be so good. So I think harmony of dissonance is, or portrait of ruin.
Why, because constantly waiting 15 seconds to switching back and forth from two identical and boring castles, while hearing to choppy and annoying music, looking at dull backgrounds, and watching Juste stand around constantly loosing his balance wondering why it takes so long to do something your force to do all the time. I could only play it for so long until I vertigo. The controls are also poor. Half of the time hit it's because I'm jumping forward while whipping and for some reason Juste can't change direction while doing so. It's a big step back from Circle of the moon.

Offline Death

• I'll Be Seeing You Soon
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 06:47:24 PM »
Wow, who voted Order of Ecclesia?

I voted CV64. I still remember buying that game the day it came out, biggest dissapointment of my gaming life. :'(

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 07:27:07 PM »
CV 64 is god awful, lots of glitches, horrible camera, unreponsive control, almost unexisting music, bt the worst of the worst, SKELETONS ON MOTORCYCLES!  :-X

Everything comes full circle

Tags: