Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Your first video game experience  (Read 7913 times)

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Registered Massholevaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Smashing controllers since 1982
    • Awards
« on: December 28, 2011, 08:15:48 PM »
Although the most practical, sexy, and probably obvious would be the first Pac Man (no not Pong circa 1972, me b. 1973) the first game that will always stick in my mind was not so much an arcade pixelated work like Pac-Man, Donkey Kong or Centipede but a driving game. I don't remember the name of it off hand but I can tell you it was basically like a film strip where if you crashed you got a close up of a fiery explosion before continuing the race (for some reason). I will try to get the name of the game but I forget it. I can tell you it wasn't Pole Position.

Remember my name and know this. I have Suffolk Down Syndrome.

Stop me if you've heard this one.
A Belmont falls through a trap door into a square prison with no exits. After hitting three sides he smashes through the last one. Relieved and low on health he looks at the camera, smiles and says......"Pork chop?"
ULTIMATE FOURTH WALL BREAK!!! That just happened!!!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »
My first video game experience was with several different titles and all were on the NES. I was introduced to Super Mario Bros, Zelda II, Contra and Top Gun. My cousins had several different games besides those however I never played them. Trying out all these games seemed magical. It was a world that I was never exposed to, let alone heard about before. I will never forget it  :)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 10:03:53 PM »
Being born much later compared to most of the people here, my first gaming experiences were all on the SNES as a toddler, from Super Mario World to Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, and it was wonderful. My nanny from back then being a natural at various games (can't count how many times I cried for her help, LOL) helped too, I guess.
BTW, doesn't this belong in the HG101 section?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 10:11:52 PM by VladCT »
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 10:58:12 PM »
Although the most practical, sexy, and probably obvious would be the first Pac Man (no not Pong circa 1972, me b. 1973) the first game that will always stick in my mind was not so much an arcade pixelated work like Pac-Man, Donkey Kong or Centipede but a driving game. I don't remember the name of it off hand but I can tell you it was basically like a film strip where if you crashed you got a close up of a fiery explosion before continuing the race (for some reason). I will try to get the name of the game but I forget it. I can tell you it wasn't Pole Position.

Was it Night Driver? Don't remember if it had close ups though, but your car did look wrecked after.

Anyways mine was Laser Blast on Atari 2600 back in 1979 at the tender age of 4, I also remember watching my uncle play an Odysee II back in the day, never got to play it. Atari 2600 was my first system owned, had a lot of fun with it with Pitfall, Pac-Man (not so much this unfinished version now), Donkey Kong, and some other games. My first arcade game was likely if my memory serves me correctly, Galaga, then stuff like Time Pilot and Joust. Never saw a Space Invaders cab till I was well into my 20's, shame really, but still had a blast with it and Asteroids (though I played Asteroids in arcades far earlier).

Also ninja mind move.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 12:19:11 AM »
My memory is pretty fuzzy, but it could've been Pole Position (or hell, maybe even Pole Position II) on one of the sitdown-style machines. It was at this restaurant that I barely remember as a kid, save for the arcade and carousel it had. It was either that game or Shooting Master at a bowling alley, I'm not sure which one I played first. I know I couldn't have been any older than 5 either way.

I know the first game to have any real lasting impact on me was Double Dragon, but that came out when I was 6.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 02:39:41 AM »
Funny, I was thinking about this some time ago.
I would have to say that although it was not my first game, there was this one game that effected me greatly.
I never was an actual gamer, neither did I own any video-game systems. As a child, I was satisfied with playing games on the PC. It was mostly ported NES games or games made for MS DOS.

And then, I visited my friend and he showed me a game he had. It was probably 1998 or 1999, and I was around eleven years old. The game he played was unlike any I ever played. It had great graphics and gameplay (for the time period), nice sound effects and music, a complex storyline, and best of all, cool cinematic sequences after every level.

Guess which game it was?
It was Dune 2000.
Only around 5 years later I discovered the game was based on a novel, some more years later I discovered a movie and a miniseries were made about it, and only after watching the movies I finally decided to read the book.
The book is a cultural-philosophic tale unlike no other, but back when I saw the game I know nothing about it. It was the first RTS I ever saw and the idea of commanding an army in a sci-fi world I could only describe as "F*cking awesome".

Since then I fell in love with Tiberian Sun, Red Alert the other games by the great Westwood Studios. And then Westwood collapsed and the legend ended. But the inspiration DUNE 2000 gave me lives on in a novel I never take the time to write down. 
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Nail_Bombed

• Indra's Fire
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Carlsberg
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Metal Ireland
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 04:33:51 AM »
First video game experience? 3D Monster Maze and Mazogs on the ZX81 home computer (born '79). After that it befell to me to look for more of this thing they call video games (mostly found on ferry trips across to England - where I was introduced to many and varied games.... Outrun for one, and Ghosts N Goblins for another).
If a man chooses, and a slave obeys, then what are you if you choose to obey?

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 07:59:51 AM »
Watching my brother's play Super Mario Bros back in I think 1989/90.

Then I think Mortal Kombat followed afterwards in like 91 or 92.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 11:46:17 AM »
My first video game was some PC game about plane that must bomb enemy's factories.
Then I had Atari with several games and later - NES.

Offline cmdood

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
Re: Your first video game experience
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 12:56:20 PM »
wow, my first video game experience? Well the earliest memory i have is watching my cousins and siblings play mario paint. Other than that i grew up with a super nintendo.

Offline ShinAkumaXX

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
Re: Your first video game experience
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 03:44:28 PM »
I recall my first video game experiences were Super Mario Bros and Double Dragon II on NES. Followed by the other NES Mario games. I was born in 86 so I was around 6 when I first started I think. The first game I remember hating as a kid was Festers Quest. I've never tried it since I was a kid, I remember we got rid of it because we just couldn't figure that one out! I feel sad for all the kids today that will probably never care about these games. Hopefully things like the Wii Shop have gotten younger gamers into some older stuff!

Offline Vampire Killer

• HOLY CROSS, Batman!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 05:09:58 PM »
Setting the way-back machine all the way to the Atari 2600, I think probably my first videogaming experience was Adventure.

An epic quest to return a sacred chalice to it's rightful castle, it had a sword that looked like an arrow, dragons or many colors, mazes, a magic bridge, and a a really annoy bat that could grab you and fly you indefinitely all over the kingdom. Was obnoxiously simple graphically speaking, but in the mind of my childhood self, I was on an adventure.

You can play it for free online here....

http://www.atari.com/arcade/arcade/adventure

You are the block. Use arrow keys to move. Touch items to grab them, press space bar to release them. Key open castles of the same color (touch the key to gate). Enjoy.
Behold my true form......IS A CHAIR!!!

Offline Slayer

• The Prince of a town called Bel-Air
  • Master Hunter
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 05:38:33 PM »
Holy crap, I didn't realize how young I was compared to everyone here  :o
Anyway, I played either Super Mario Bros or Duck Hunt when I was 3 (1991-1992). I don't really remember much about it though, I've kind of been playing games as long as I can remember :c
----------------------------------------------
Tetris world record, set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 07:43:29 PM »
The coin arcade machines, Double Dragon, 1942, Super Mario Bros (before the NES) and of course I was a pinball freak! As far a my experiences before the NES, I had an Atari 2600. Space Invaders and Ms Pacman were my favs. As for the NES when I got one, Super Mario Bros, Zelda, Mike Tyson's Punchout, 3D Worldrunner, and of course, Castlevania I was hooked!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline JooohnShaft

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 04:53:26 AM »
my first experience was grand theft auto 3... yeah I KNOW IT'S PRETTY LATE BY RETRO STANDARDS but I loved the game back then.

Tags:

anything