Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Ideas For a Modern Classicvania  (Read 30914 times)

Offline Vickter

• Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« on: October 04, 2015, 09:49:35 PM »
I'm interested in hearing your thoughts about what you would like to see in a modern Classicvania-type game. Are there post-SOTN ideas that you would like to see mixed in, something in the NES trilogy you would want to leave out? I know there are a few of you that are passionate about this subject, so please be as detailed as you like. Any input or discussion is welcome.   

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 12:30:11 AM »
Absolutely nothing brought over from LoS. The only thing worth preserving would be the graphical quality. That's it!

The return of multi-directional whip attacking. The only game to feature that was SCV4. Both Bloodlines and Chronicles had some but they did not go with the full 8 directions that made SCV4 so versatile.

Bring back the stairs as well as rope-climbing from the Gameboy titles. Both of these simple game mechanics added a kind of unique depth to the series as well as challenges. But since SotN Stair-climbing was almost non-existent save for their final appearance in Adventure Rebirth.

CV should also forgo the heavily romanticized Gothic tone that was prevalent throughout the IGAvania's and instead go back to the classic campy Halloween theme that made the series so popular to begin with. The Halloween theme can still be done and done very well.

Also we need more variety in terms of protagonists. New Belmonts would be more then welcome. Ones that we've never heard of before. Also it would be a good thing to introduce some women Belmonts to the stage as well. Not just try to bring back Sonia, but introduce a whole slew of others with their own themes and looks. Even better would be to have a character select menu where you can choose to be either a male or female Belmont, and you could even give them their own personal looks and first names. This will add more replay to the game and also give the player a more personal connection with the characters they have created as well. It will also quell the sexual inequality that has been unfortunately prevalent throughout the series.

Bring back the double and triple shot icons. I miss those  :'(  They were simple yet added their own depth to the series. getting a sub-weapon always made me want to collect the shot icons as I knew having them could mean the difference between life and death depending.

In terms of the sub-weapons I vote for a much stronger Dagger. The dagger has always been the weakest weapon in the series so I think it's time to bring it back with a bit of extra kick. Kinda like the silver knife or even the golden knife from Simon's Quest.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 02:43:34 AM »

CV should also forgo the heavily romanticized Gothic tone that was prevalent throughout the IGAvania's and instead go back to the classic campy Halloween theme that made the series so popular to begin with. The Halloween theme can still be done and done very well.

This is what I want most...everything else is secondary. But not in an overtly goofy way...like how WayForward did Double Dragon Neon, for example. (Loved that game, but it just wasn't Double Dragon.)
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 05:43:41 AM »
X , I couldn't agree with you more.

Mig and I are working on Lecarde Chronicles 2 which is open world like SOTN.

But we also have an original game called Wallachia in the works that has all of the features you've listed and more. The look is very different from CV and chain whip or flail upgrading is more gradual for balance. There are also improved and different sub weapons.

The game follows the real history of Vlad the Impaler. A group of Assassins are hired by a mysterious employer to rid the world of Dracula once and for all. The game has no supernatural enemies, but glorified ancient weaponry.

We won't be talking about it much until after Lecarde Chronicles 2 is released. But it doesn't hurt to let people know that it exists.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 12:39:52 PM by Belmontoya »
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 07:55:28 AM »
The "Fake Dracula/Dracula Impostor" concept form CV64 is so great. Or like "Sorry but the big evil is in another castle!" That would be awesome

If the gameplay is that a special weapon can only use one per time, then a special weapon storage case like contra 3/4 will be great as players can store 2 or more special weapons in classic style gameplay. Or ARPG-style changeable abilities in a big box that can be opened by pausing game

The upgraded throwing axe sub weapon in Harmony of Despair is very cool because there will be more axes that can be launched per time. Such as other sub weapons.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 06:40:32 AM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 09:49:54 AM »
One thing I forgot to mention in my first post~Dracula. Enough with the wannabes. No Mathias, no Gabriel, no f**king emos, Just good ole Vlad III the impaler. The true Dracula.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 03:45:26 AM »
Here's an idea, just make one!  ;D
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline spookyhappyfun

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Minecraft Forum Homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 07:25:26 AM »
Mig and I are working on Lecarde Chronicles 2...but we also have an original game called Wallachia in the works that has all of the features you've listed and more.
We won't be talking about it much until after Lecarde Chronicles 2 is released. But it doesn't hurt to let people know that it exists.

This sounds amazing and I look forward to hearing and seeing more about it!

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 09:11:45 AM »
Stage based Mini-metroidvania in which all upgrades and secrets can be found in that one containing area, the next stage will incorporate the last stage's upgrade(s) into it's level design, kind of like OoE except bigger maps and no turning back in a straight-foreword playthrough

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 10:23:53 AM »
Here's an idea, just make one!  ;D

I wish! I really, REALLY wish I could make my own CV game. But my mind is not logic-oriented so coding is out of the question. I've tried and failed so many times it's just stupid. And it boggles my mind every time I sit down and look at videogame code. How does it work? What's the correct input for movements and such? I cannot for the life of me figure it out. Even trying to learn through things like game maker has proven to be another brick wall. Sure it has visuals which makes it easier, however my thought process is not what I can utilize through game maker, sad to say. Maybe down the road some will get it together and make a program similar to RPGMaker 2000 that will allow the individual in question to make a CV game the way--people like me--want to.

Offline Vickter

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 08:36:45 AM »
X, I've also tried and failed a lot over the past few years. I do get a little better every time, but it really is a slow kind of progress. A project I'm working on right now is to try and replicate the physics of CV3 and then replace them with original artwork, levels, characters, story, and enemies. Right now I'm having problems with collision detection, though. The key to learning programming is to find the right framework to use. I like using Unity and C# as a scripting language. You should watch some videos about 2d programming in Unity, it's not easy at all, but there's lots of documentation available.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 11:55:10 AM »
It's simple, kill the Batma...I mean...take what SCIV did and bring it up to date. :)

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 12:04:14 PM »
Style:
Original Gothic approach, barbaric and realistic heroes, a simple plot involving a lot of soul to it (in CV4 I always imagined Simon as a who was doomed to do this but knew he had to, kind of like dealing with inner demons despite not being that kind of person at heart, reading too much into it? Lol) plus a more atmospheric soundtrack akin to CV4, 64 and COTM.

Gameplay:
If 2d:
Multi directional whip, but to keep it from being to overpowered, leave out power ups and have the hero stick with the leather whip the whole game, with sub weapons having more reach and power, giving then a better purpose than in CV4.

Multiple routes, but instead of the fork in the road deal CV3  had after stages, make it like Rondo where you opened secret paths to beat the level in a different route, but make it feel a little more natural.

If 3d:
64 with an updated combat system. Then things I didn't dig about LOD, LOI, COD and the LOS games were the overt the top anime and lord of the rings type fighting in their combat systems. 64 was like the old games: here you are, here's your weapon, may find extras, good luck and survive. The rest of the 3d games don't have that, and its such a series of missed opportunities. Level based but make the levels open ended for completion, something the 3D games did right. Also do multiple routes the same way mentioned above, like Rondo's. Make it more like finding the paths instead of destroying walls to find them, cus that'd look goofy in 3d.

And for both, please bring back the old school cinema feel the games all had in the background rather than super bombastic like modern cv

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 05:58:38 PM »
Multi directional whip, but to keep it from being to overpowered, leave out power ups and have the hero stick with the leather whip the whole game,

I can agree with keeping it from being too overpowered, however not having it as a chain whip with a morning star at the end would take away from the whip being the vampirekiller we all know in the first place.

That's just me though. I'm a stickler for tradition  :)

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 08:37:16 PM »
I can agree with keeping it from being too overpowered, however not having it as a chain whip with a morning star at the end would take away from the whip being the vampirekiller we all know in the first place.

That's just me though. I'm a stickler for tradition  :)

Just implement a harder difficulty where the power ups extend the whip and alter its state into a morning star while only doing the same damage of the leather whip.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD