Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Spritework Request & Showcase Thread  (Read 1057011 times)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #540 on: March 04, 2012, 05:36:31 PM »
You know what, though, you have no real rights to the sprites since it isn't our IP to begin with. Even if you don't give them permission you couldn't DO anything about it anyway. The only party that has any right to complain is Konami because it's there IP. I've personally never understood how people make fan works of IP that doesn't belong to them and then complain when someone else uses their work in another fan work that they also don't own. Either way you're not losing anything tangible. All you can really do is ask them to credit you. If they don't then all you can really do is spread the word on your own that you made the sprites. Unfortunately that's how it is. Fan works are only protected from the IP owner as long as you're not trying to profit from them and that's IT.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:38:30 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #541 on: March 04, 2012, 06:09:53 PM »
The best you can do is bluff it and hope they buy it. Realistically you don't have much in the way of rights here.

I was hoping they would be reasonable respectable people, but that doesn't seem to be the case. They seem to be of the opinion that they don't care about respecting yours or anyone else's work. So chances are they wont buy it. The only thing you can do now is give them bad publicity, but as the old saying goes; no publicity is bad publicity.

However, do be aware, this is just how things go on the internet. If you never want them used you cant post them anywhere. They will get taken with or without permission if you do. The other option is to not care if they get used with or without permission.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 06:12:53 PM by uzo »

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #542 on: March 04, 2012, 10:41:14 PM »
Yeah Donofrio i see what you mean. I really have to say in a sense Uzo's got a point,there is nothing much you can do. You can complain up a storm but in the end the dude will probably use it anyways. The fair and just thing for him to do is to at the very least credit you because we all know you did that artwork. It's not hard to tell when you see someone's art. Same with vedora's and even Claimh's Desmond. But if that we're me and knowing what i know i would just say for him to at least give you credit or pull it. Who knows what he''ll do. I think the smartest move would be in the future to pm Serio or his team members directly without posting up on the internet so as to have your artwork in his game and only his game. For all i know he could have my stuff too???. Now, if it was me personally as long as i got credit i wouldn't mind, cause it's not directly interfering with my plans on the sprites. Obviously after i'm done with my own artwork(mine and konami's i should say) i'd give whoever want the sprites free reign to do whatever. I mean you gotta think too even if serio puts him in his fighter mugen game he could still rip sprites he wants from it. Yeah i agree it's a bit shady, but i would try not to let it get too you. I doesn't make it right but we all know you did it. Whether that guy does credit you or not. Hopefully he rights the wrong and credits you. I for the record(even though i did sorta start this fiasco) am not trying to bring any drama what so ever. I didn't know about this till i'd seen vidoes on it and figured i'd tell the owners of the artwork, so they were at least informed. Personally i'd have more respect for the guy(if i were in your position D) if he gave me credit. Then all would be forgiven. But that's me. You guys handle your opinions how you want too. Ok then,chow, logging off.

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #543 on: March 05, 2012, 05:05:13 AM »
well i want to say something
 1st I speak spanish so sorry if I write bad
 2nd I am Julian Paz, i register in this page mmm 3 days ago i think, i was to apologize but i did not know how to say that i use the character without permision so i wait a little to think, big mistake, Donoffrio sorry to steal your work its wasnt my intention i respond in the forum in english http://castlevaniaforum.webs.com/apps/guestbook/  maybe you read it what do you want to do? if you want i dont use and dont do videos using Juste but the problem as i say that the change of the characters its a mod, you can add to the game the character that you want (megaman X, zero, demons crest, you can see in my channel) i dont want say the same that i say in the other forum but the fact its that im terrible sorry, thinking  of castlevania fighter i steal the sprites of a Dracula that i see long ago and now yours the others came from other peoples.
 Well thats all, i think, Good Luck to all
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 05:15:07 AM by Jop »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #544 on: March 05, 2012, 06:28:23 AM »
Good day, Jop.

1. si quieres, yo te traduzco para que se puedan comunicar mejor.
2. bienvenido a los foros.  Soy Admin aqui.

In English:
1. if you'd like, I can translate in order to improve communications.
2. Welcome to the forums.  I'm admin here.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #545 on: March 05, 2012, 08:48:32 AM »
Hey, Julian, I wanted to apologize in a sense. I am not meaning to get anyone in trouble or start drama. It's debatable whether or not i should even open my mouth at times. It has been known to get me into trouble. But hey either way i wanted to say i really do think you did the right thing here bud. I also say that your project Castlevania online has a lot of potential and seems very original.Nicely done thus far!!! I actually like the layout because it has an arcade style feel to it which no other vania game does. I would also like to point out,that you should talk to your friend Rune. I gave him something to give to you. You won't be dissapointed! So either way i hope you guys enjoy. Hopefully it will be of help! Also i played your game and it seems some levels aren't playable. I was told you have to unlock them. Do you also have to unlock players? I gotta say it's coming along nicely. Their's definetly some kinks to work out, but the levels and gameplay seem to be pretty strong!    
Luego mi amigo. Buen trabajo en el juego!

Offline Corpsecrank

• XXX
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Still uttering the same nonsense.
    • Awards
« Reply #546 on: March 05, 2012, 09:43:42 AM »
I'm working on some models of the doors. These are super flexible to work with. I took the doors and created some 3D models in Illustrator. I traced the front and edge of the door and applied them to the models which allows you to rotate the door however many degrees you need then screenshot the model. So you can start with the door front facing or from the side then make an adjustment screen it then adjust it again rinse repeat to get a smooth door animation. A lot of the door sprites are only the front and edge of the door with no frames between them. I think this is because those graphics were applied to a 3D object and then rotated in the game. Look at door in sotn for example. So anyhow here is a preview of what they look like right now.

That is a screenshot taken directly from Illustrator while I was finishing the initial design. I still have a little polishing left on these before I release the Ai file. I also want to nudge the doors 5 or 10 degrees at a time and screen them and create a PNG sheet containing all the frames. I will release both a frame sheet and the Ai model sheet when I get done so look for that soon.

UPDATE: Door frames are ready and the Ai file is up for grabs too. Someone test out these doors for me and let me know if they all look alright. They should be good to go but I haven't tried animating them at all to see what happens so they may need a minor tweak before they are solid.

10 Frames Reverse all but the closed frame to make them open in the opposite direction.

I won't really be supporting that Ai file you are on your own with it. If you understand Illustrator and how it handles 3D you will know what to do. If not maybe you shouldn't bother getting the Ai file.

Ai File: http://www.mediafire.com/?xh949ojpgo2j7av

NOTES: The doors are in 10 degree increments. Starting at 90 degrees on the closed frame and working down to 0 degrees which is full open. These doors are also at the same resolution they are in the original game. I made a 3D model the same width and height and then gauged the Depth based on the width of the closed frame. The Ai file contains a large traced version of the full open and closed frames that was used to texture the models. Each texture is a symbol so removing those large traced frames will result in the texture going with it. You can use the row of models at the bottom of the Ai file to make any changes you want.

You can use these however you want no credit necessary because I essentially stole them anyhow :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:17:06 PM by Corpsecrank »
You can find all my projects here: https://thetilepile.blogspot.com/

Offline Donoffrio

• ladadee~
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - First Place 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 2nd Place Award One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #547 on: March 05, 2012, 01:54:29 PM »
Well,julian..
At least now I know your'e one of the reasonable type of guys..
And excuse me for saying this,it took me all the time I needed for something else to finish up those juste sprites..
And the thought of my name being uncredited in your game and you using without my permission makes me think that you were claiming it as your own..all my hard work gone.. :(
Would you like it if your game was somehow re-modeled by someone else and they didnt credit you? Instead they claim they made it in the first place?? I don't think so..
So please,i'm hoping that you and your team would refrain from using people's work without their permission..honestly,do you have trouble asking? Your english seems understandable enough.
Now,the best thing for you to do now is the above I stated..And also ask permission to the others for their work(vendora's leon)(claimh's desmond(his colour scheme from what I can tell)),see weather they allow you to use their respective sprites and credit them for their and my work on your site and game..also to the videos of the characters.Thank
You very much..
And those juste from imageshack are indeed mine.. But the old and outdated one I made..did he steal them? :x
Jorge,if you would be so kind to translate these for jop? Thanks
:)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 01:57:07 PM by Donoffrio »

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #548 on: March 05, 2012, 06:10:26 PM »
@Las
You are LaslundLazaro? in youtube i am rune XD and no its right to tell to the others that sort of things, you have a nice collection of things for Castlevania thanks, for the time being only we can change others characters from the game to use other but with a new update Kotai want to create a mode to select the character without the problem to change characters and put other, its not complicated but take time to change character so the select mode will help a lot, its good the idea to unlock the characters i think we talk this with him, i will talk again and see if i can convince

@Donofrrio
I have good news about your character, i think that i upload the sprites to download so that the people can play with him but i did not upload so no one download the character i am more relax for that so no body can use your character but other person use the first sprite sheet that i show you in the other forum so i think that he found that or in castlevania fighter Text board or in another page if some one copy the sprites i will not steal your project but i can not guarantee that someone else do it, mmm the character Desmond i dont do it but yes i use him and same with Leon but i change some sprites but in the post or the most of them i say that this are not my sprite works, and some time i dont find the name of the creator that was your case and you can see in this video i mention Vedora and i because i was altering the sprites of Vedora:

Castlevania Online Leon Belmont
 In another i mention Claim Solains (i dont remember how it was his name) but i remember that i found an incomplete sprites of desmond and a friend finish the job but never forget that Claim do it the first time.
 Well i think its all sorry for talk (write XD) so much

@Jorge D. Fuentes
Thanks the next time that i was to write i will do in spanish and you translate to help better to understand

Offline Donoffrio

• ladadee~
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - First Place 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 2nd Place Award One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #549 on: March 05, 2012, 06:45:27 PM »
@Jop But your'e still giving me credit right?
And did you say your friend finished claimh's desmond sprites? I don't think he'll be ok with it..
In any case tho,may I still be able to play as juste? I did drew all of his frames.. And I might be able to help you with the sprites too.. :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:50:04 PM by Donoffrio »

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #550 on: March 05, 2012, 06:56:06 PM »
Ok yeah i didnt' know. I thought julian was someone else,sorry i didn't realize i had even caused any problems until i upload the video to vedora's leon that tthings happened, then all these responsed flew out.Once agian my apologies. :-\ Either way a very nice game you got going on their. Yeah i'm pretty sure if you check with most people they wouldn't mind. The way you have that game set up, i swear it looks like it outta be in the arcades or something man ;D ;D ;D. It would be sweet as hell if konami decided to pick that up from you and wanted it in the 'cades or something. Honestly it is pretty kick ass. That would go nice along side of the whip Castlevania game at the arcade. Then again i realize you have it for online purposes,plus you can keep adding more players as time goes by. 8)

Offline Corpsecrank

• XXX
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Still uttering the same nonsense.
    • Awards
« Reply #551 on: March 05, 2012, 08:58:26 PM »
Just finished some horizontal rotation frames for the cross from sotn. I used Ai to build a model and used the only frames you can find to build all the textures needed. Once applied I rotated the model from 0 degrees to 180 degrees in 10 degree increments. If mirror and loop this it will spin. If you took it a step further you could reproduce the cross effect in sotn.

I will probably be releasing some more rotation frames. I want vertical and angled rotations for it so look for a full sheet of multi-directional animations when I get around to finishing it up. For now the horizontal rotation should be very useable and probably the only one needed if all you want to do is recreate that sotn effect.

I am also doing the sotn cross sub weapon as a 3d model that will rotate on dual axis as it travels and some return frames that use multi-directional rotation. That will also be coming soon. I have the model built I just need to hammer out the frames.

NOTE: This technique used in the doors and cross so far is the same method that was used to create donkey kong country and killer instinct. It is called ACM or 3D pre-rendering. Provided you can use a graphic without it distorting or throwing off the palate etc you can build a 3D model of your graphic and rotate it to create views you need. Using the model you simply change the view on it and then save that as a flat sprite. In this case I rotated the graphic incrementally and saved out each increment as a new frame.

Again free to use as you please credit given or not. These textures aren't mine.

UPDATE: Currently working on a full sheet containing every 10 degree increment possible. The final sheet will be 2240 frames. It will have views for 360 degrees in increments of 10 and at each increment it will have a full 360 degrees both ways in increments of 10 also. This would allow for any rotation or view you would need. The full sheet will be released as soon as I finish it up. Expect a wait because it has taken hours to get roughly 1/8 of the views done which is where I am at right now with it.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 12:55:50 AM by Corpsecrank »
You can find all my projects here: https://thetilepile.blogspot.com/

Offline Ridureyu

• A boomerang to the head cooled my jets.
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Spritework Request & Showcase Thread
« Reply #552 on: March 05, 2012, 09:16:22 PM »
I decided to try to redo the Dooky Faces from Castlevania 3 in higher-res sprites.

As you can see, it's made from the Evil Force in OOE and the guts of Portrait of Ruin's Behemoth, with some gory parts of the tileset used for the brains, hanging guts, eyes, and some other parts.  Since the eyes on the original Dooky Faces were the same color as the rest of the sprite, I decided to give them a gouged-out look.

Offline Kramgnauh

• Scared newbie...
    • Awards
« Reply #553 on: March 05, 2012, 10:21:31 PM »
Looks great though maybe a recolor would make a bit better

Offline Ridureyu

• A boomerang to the head cooled my jets.
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Spritework Request & Showcase Thread
« Reply #554 on: March 05, 2012, 10:24:26 PM »
Maybe. I'm thinking making the gore a little redder, and maybe the faces a little pinker and smoother?  You can barely see the blood between the faces.

anything