Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: worst song in the series  (Read 20682 times)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« on: March 23, 2014, 10:04:35 AM »
NOT INCLUDING ANY TRACK FROM THE LORDS OF SHADOW GAMES

what in ur opinion is the absolute worst music piece in the castlevania

Offline Nail_Bombed

• Indra's Fire
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Carlsberg
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Metal Ireland
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 10:11:33 AM »
+1
Gotta be this - Seller Of Fine Goods.  :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrUe5_w-TZ8
If a man chooses, and a slave obeys, then what are you if you choose to obey?

Offline Nail_Bombed

• Indra's Fire
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Carlsberg
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Metal Ireland
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 10:12:18 AM »
If a man chooses, and a slave obeys, then what are you if you choose to obey?

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 10:52:18 AM »
HoD had the most of the worst songs in the series. It just doesn't live up to the other games in the GBA department. What doesn't help it even more is that they were composed in a rather sub-par formate when compared to it's other GBA counterparts. While Michiru Yamane did some of the compositions there was also another artist working on the game's music as well and many of his tracks were just all over the place  *dizzy* :P *dizzy*

There is another game that actually does a bad job for one of it's songs; Rondo of Blood's rendition of Vampirekiller. I like all the different styles of Vampirekiller that have been done over the course of the series...except Rondo's version. There's this annoying pause near the climax in the tune that ruins the flow of the whole song. And they dared to put in a sound effect thinking it would make it sound cooler. It doesn't. It's just annoying.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 11:34:21 AM »
Yeah it's gotta be just whichever song you take your pick of from Harmony of Dissonance. Even if there's a good composition in it here or there, you can't really tell from how poor the sound quality is. They had to compress it to hell to get some of the visuals in as I recall. I've noticed that I actually enjoy playing HoD much more when the sound is muted, which is particularly sad for a Castlevania game. And it's made even more noticeable by the fact that CotM's soundtrack had been practically a "greatest hits" compilation from across the series.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 11:48:00 AM »
+3
I actually love how the music sounds in Harmony of Dissonance. It adds to the creepy and surreal nature of the game perfectly, I think.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 05:18:28 PM »
+5
Does "I am the wind" count?

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 06:14:59 PM »
Sadly, I'm not the perfect CV fan...I had to look a few of these up to remember for sure which they were.  The pause/noise in Rondo's Vampire Killer is annoying, but I like the rest of the song.

But my first thought was definitely Harmony of Dissonance in general.  I kinda like the songs in that, the melodies and harmonies of many of the songs sound great...and (to fit with the title) there is an odd harmony in the dissonance of some of the melodies/harmonies.  But the quality of the sound is terrible. >.<  I remember being excited to hear the new music on HoD when I picked it up, and still remember my initial thoughts.  The title screen sounded fine, and then the name screen music started and I thought, "What the crap?!  That sounds awful!  Why'd they make it worse?!  CotM sounded great!  Maybe it'll get better." But it didn't.  I played through the game, liking the music worse and worse until the credits, where I thought, "This is awesome!  Why didn't they make the whole game this way?!?!"
When I bought the CotM soundtrack later, I gave the music another chance, and while I still hate the sound, I can enjoy some of the harmony as I mentioned.

And "I am the Wind"...UGH!  I'd forgotten about that one.  I remember somehow having the idea that the credits music is always the best, until I heard this song.  When the lyrics started, I distinctly remember shouting, "Oh my God!" and muting the TV.

So that's my vote...HoD and I am the Wind.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 02:49:01 AM »
The Pumpkin/comical tracks from CoD and LoI.

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 04:56:13 AM »
+1
Does "I am the wind" count?

I am the Wind was one of those things to me that is so awful its good. I was sad it didn't get a remix in DXC.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 02:49:52 PM »
HoD has the odd distinction of being the handheld CV title with both the lowest quality music as well as the highest quality:
Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance - Successor of fate (credits)

It seems many people forget that the ending credits and title screen are both SotN-quality in terms of sound quality. Of course Successor of Fate is a very good song, so moving along~

In terms of stage themes, I found Nightmare from CVIII to be very monotonous.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQCZKYcQwUU
It was just as bad in CotM.

HoD's standard boss theme is just a pile of notes:
Boss - Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
I could only find Jorge's arrangement on Youtube, after 3 seconds of searching anyways.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 03:10:02 PM »
The Pumpkin/comical tracks from CoD and LoI.

I'm not sure I have any idea what you're talking about. :-S  What tracks are these?

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 08:32:13 AM »
+1
Hokkai is a very underappreciated composer, I think. Most of his songs haven't a strong catching melody like Yamane's music for example, but it's very effective at evoking a feeling of dread and intensity that hasn't been achieved anymore before or since. It fits Castlevania perfectly. Now that I'm thinking about it, I think he's actually my favorite composer of the entire series.     

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 08:17:50 AM »
Hokkai is a very underappreciated composer, I think. Most of his songs haven't a strong catching melody like Yamane's music for example, but it's very effective at evoking a feeling of dread and intensity that hasn't been achieved anymore before or since. It fits Castlevania perfectly. Now that I'm thinking about it, I think he's actually my favorite composer of the entire series.   

Aqueduct of Dragons would have sounded much better if the approach was more Orchestrated and not drum heavy, It's just a few examples that his much is very good, I just think the direction of most songs are off...

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 10:04:14 PM »
Forum is kind of slow.  Hope no one minds the bump.

HoD's merchant theme is just awful.  I like quite a few of the compositions in that game, but that song is just bad.  It sounds like the background beat for a really awful NES game or something.

HoD has the odd distinction of being the handheld CV title with both the lowest quality music as well as the highest quality

Oh, what could have been. :(

Tags:

anything