Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: So what do you think about the recent flood of collaborations?  (Read 996 times)

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: So what do you think about the recent flood of collaborations?
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2024, 03:05:37 PM »
+1
That’s interesting bits of info you provided for us @VladofWallachia. If you recall Dave Cocks also pitched his “original idea” to Konami, flat out saying that it was a brand new IP for them when it wasn’t (skip to 4:00)

https://youtu.be/cE4YxIYIkJM?si=7tR911yYI32TcR6f

So for Konami to reject your idea but accept MercurySteam’s, I feel is kind of shady on Konami’s part & even misleading, but I guess we’ll never know what fits the standard criteria for them.

Well I pitched to Konami of Europe's (then) new indie game publishing program, while MercurySteam, a well established company with a track record, pitched to Konami.

Konami just released another Contra game, Operation Gulag, developed by a third party developer, WayForward. I would not be surprised if we eventually see a similar partnership with a new Castlevania coming out of it.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 10:36:56 AM »
I wanna say I remember the indie contest project they had distinctly NOT having CV on the list of franchises they opened up to the indie crowd, so it wouldn't have ever really worked for any of us in here anyway, but I might be misremembering a detail or five

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: Yesterday at 11:10:04 AM »
I wanna say I remember the indie contest project they had distinctly NOT having CV on the list of franchises they opened up to the indie crowd, so it wouldn't have ever really worked for any of us in here anyway, but I might be misremembering a detail or five

Yes, I remember that contest, I asked the same contact from Konami of Europe about it, and we weren't a good fit for that contest for the same reasons as before.

Offline Scarlet starlet

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 04:25:57 PM »
I have no idea what they plan to do with this franchise
I have been playing Lords of Shadow and Legacy of Darkness for the first time in 2024...guess which one I liked and which one I didn't...
Legacy of Darkness surprised me so much, it really is Castlevania in 3D, while the PS2 games and LoD are not. Only missing the Carrie playthrough at the time I write.
Gabriel's adventure, on the other hand, is a massive slog. I just finished the second Lord of Shadow (the boss not the game I mean) and damn it, only the story and nice visuals get me going. I hate the whip so much, Reinhardt's FEELS SO MUCH BETTER in comparison in spite of having 1 single attack.
Whatever happens to this rumoured new Castlevania game, I'm 100% sure I will not like it. Konami just isn't confident anymore in the style of game we cherish so much (both Classic and Metroidvania).
Also I may be an isolated case but bad dialogue aside I really liked the Castlevania stuff in Dead Cells and I'm kinda disappointed there isn't more.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:28:28 PM by Scarlet starlet »

Offline whipsmemory

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 10:27:58 PM »

Yeah i remember that too, if im not wrong the developer of La Mulana won the contest to revive some IP i don't remember the name of. The fact CV wasn't there, too, should be a pretty strong hint at a new title being in development(hell). Looking back at it, i think it should have been on the list, we'd probably have certainty of a small yet decent game coming by now, maybe something along the lines of Adventure Rebirth
I have no idea what they plan to do with this franchise
I have been playing Lords of Shadow and Legacy of Darkness for the first time in 2024...guess which one I liked and which one I didn't...
Legacy of Darkness surprised me so much, it really is Castlevania in 3D, while the PS2 games and LoD are not. Only missing the Carrie playthrough at the time I write.
Gabriel's adventure, on the other hand, is a massive slog. I just finished the second Lord of Shadow (the boss not the game I mean) and damn it, only the story and nice visuals get me going. I hate the whip so much, Reinhardt's FEELS SO MUCH BETTER in comparison in spite of having 1 single attack.
Whatever happens to this rumoured new Castlevania game, I'm 100% sure I will not like it. Konami just isn't confident anymore in the style of game we cherish so much (both Classic and Metroidvania).
Also I may be an isolated case but bad dialogue aside I really liked the Castlevania stuff in Dead Cells and I'm kinda disappointed there isn't more.

The 64 titles are definitely solid, and I really wish we'd got them on the Switch virtual console. Actually I'm surprised they aren't already, the MD had Vampire Killer, the GB got Legends, given the small 3rd party catalogue on the 64 I'm seriously surprised it hasnt come out yet. Maybe there's a new collection in the way, or maybe next Halloween? Who knows.
Regarding Lords of Shadow, it should have been it's own IP, i have nothing else to say about it, i really can't stand it
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:33:55 PM by whipsmemory »

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
There are sections of CV64 that are straight up obnoxious, but at least there’s decent platforming present. Even though the camera sucks. And I still maintain the castle portions from Lords of Shadow 2 were the best looking out of all the 3D CV games. There’s parts where you’re walking across a balcony bathed in moonlight, and it’s simply breathtaking. Those parts they nailed, it’s a shame the rest of the game wasn’t 100% like that. But perhaps we’re getting off topic.

I truly believe the next CV product (I hesitate to call it a game) will be another Grimiore of Souls. Cell phone only, with microtransactions.

Tags:

anything