Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Season 3  (Read 72379 times)

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2020, 09:47:00 PM »
+2
Hopefully it draws elements from CoD and CotM, or even LoI, but it looks like they're going with something more original.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2020, 09:20:21 AM »
At this point it would be best if they took an original route. Especially with all the characters that are showing up.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 06:11:16 PM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2020, 03:57:21 PM »
I have the feeling the old man with a hat at the poster was supposed to be the new Dracula, Mathias maybe? Yeah I know Mathias and Vlad are the same person in IGA's canon but then again the Netflix series took some liberties from the original source and maybe they decided to make Mathias and Vlad as two different person.

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2020, 07:24:51 PM »
I have the feeling the old man with a hat at the poster was supposed to be the new Dracula, Mathias maybe? Yeah I know Mathias and Vlad are the same person in IGA's canon but then again the Netflix series took some liberties from the original source and maybe they decided to make Mathias and Vlad as two different person.

he is Saint Germaine so...

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2020, 11:57:27 PM »
Or St. Germaine will become the new Dracula rather than as a time keeper since God knows when in IGA's canon.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2020, 06:17:20 AM »
That seems a bit of a long stretch of a conclusion to jump to, Shinobi.

Even with a new direction, I’m sure Dracula will return.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2020, 05:51:45 PM »
Or St. Germaine will become the new Dracula rather than as a time keeper since God knows when in IGA's canon.
Doubt it because the events of the previous seasons pay homage to SotN, and in SotN, Dracula is STILL Alucard's father. Unless they do something like Saint Germain becoming the vessel to Dracula's spirit (but the spirit being Mathias Dracula, who IS Alucard's father), which would be similar to the main reason Zead wanted Hector to return in CoD.

I think Dracula's not going to have a part in this season. I think they aren't going the CoD route and might take some ideas, but will forge a new event revolving around the power vacuum where everybody that is evil will come out of the woodwork in hopes to fill it (Carmilla and her followers, Isaac and his army, the Judge and such). I think they might make this Saint Germain another evil figure (a lord of Alchemy, and probably the big bad). I noticed the sigil in the room Trevor and Sypha are encountering the monsters is an alchemic symbol (looks like the combination of Black Sulfur and another).

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2020, 06:11:50 PM »
DragonSlayer, I noticed the same about the alchemical symbol.  It appears to be exactly the Black Sulfur symbol but with an extra bar running across it.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2020, 06:59:32 PM »
It almost looks like the symbol of Saturn combined with Black Sulfur.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2020, 10:31:03 PM »
+2
time for me to actually contribute to this thread with something that isn't a shitpost lol

It almost looks like the symbol of Saturn combined with Black Sulfur.

that's exactly what it is

(for  those unfamiliar):

and this can have several potential connotations/speculations

saturn, within classical astrology and western alchemy, was associated with and was the ruling planetary body for the elemental mundane of lead; lead is the lowest rung on the ladder of the base metals, and carried the properties of being the "default"

by this, it was believed that all metals greater than lead would, eventually, decay back into lead -- which introduces the prospect of time to lead's value (this also relates to the planetary body as saturn = cronos/kronos = chronos = time)

because of this, lead had the disctinct value to alchemists as being the metal of transformation, rejuvenation, and redemption

this doubles over as saturn, as a cosmic body, has long-developed associations with the placement of limits and restrictions on power and/or the act or ability to control a given thing, due to saturn (within the context of alchemy and its symbolism as obviously this isn't the case in the actual solar system) being the farthest planet from the sun in the classical writings

so we have a cosmic body (associated with the limits of power)being the ruling planet over the alchemic metal lead (associated with transformation and redemption, and contextually-depending the overcoming of boundaries by that transformation), and the two have common ties relating to the idea of time in one form or another

now, depending on whether or not they went balls-to-the-wall with the alchemy research, paracelsus and other practitioners of the qabalah of hermeticism held beliefs that planetary bodies had ties to vital organs (saturn was the spleen most commonly, but the organ doesn't matter for this as much as the relationship to specific organs -- but if we wanna get into it saturn also has occasional relationships with the bones, at least in ptolemy's writings as far as i know)

now moving to astrology, saturn (in western astrology anyway) dominates capricorn and aquarius, which have their own relationships to alchemic processes -- in specific the magnum opus:

-capricorn represents the process of fermentation (sometimes referred to as putrefaction depending on the source)
-aquarius represents multiplication

i think you can already see where this half of the sigil can possibly go

now we have sulfur

sulfur is representative of the soul -- specifically, it was interchangeable to the point of being synonymous with the human soul, but this can be interpreted as human-specific or generalized at one's leisure, the old writings support both

there's a bunch of stuff about the leviathan cross symbol for sulfur being representative of satanism and the devil, but that has zero historical commonality outside of a specific assclown and fuck lavey for starting that shit -- BUT, depending on whether the writers were aware of this or not can significantly alter how this can be interpreted

with all the involvement of catholicism and actual hell in the netflix series, let's just for argument's sake assume the writers intended this connotation regardless of whether or not they know the history

sulfur in western alchemy has strong masculine traits -- it's hot, and dry, and powerful

but, sulfur was very frequently seen as a base element for a very long time, mostly due to jabir the arab writing of this (sulfur as a base element was already common in the arabic world at this time) in the 700s or so and european scholar-types just kinda rolled with it from that point

and sulfur as a base element was very important when paired with mercury, which carried female archetypal traits -- opposing those of sulfur, so cold/cool and wet

the two together worked by sulfur being a major driver of change and transformation being an active "male" element but requiring a catalyst to actually shape anything and thus was made whole by the pairing of mercury as a passive "female" element -- the joining of two things combining the male and female into a singular union being a major theme in alchemy and specifically the great work and all that

this pairing also was frequented by the company of salt, which was seen as a purely physical thing but of the earth and impure and needing to be purified through transmutation in order to become perfect -- was usually seen as the body when in reference to humans

so you have all three of these:

-sulfur representing the soul (specifically, the personal essence of a living thing)
-mercury representing the spirit (different from the soul, and more as a sort of medium or "connection" of the soul to something else altogether)
-salt representing the body (seen as impure and imperfect, and in need of transformation in order to become enlightened and the perfect thing)

but note that mercury and salt are entirely absent from this symbol on the floor in ANY representation or respect, which i think is important

so the way i interpret it this can likely be one of two things:

-a sigil designed to embody the transformation/redemption/rejuvenation/perfection of something impure and divided within itself, in this particular conjecture the soul of dracula being transformed and rejuvenated into something more singular and "perfect" than before (possibly "correcting" the division within him previously of wanting to murder-hobo the human race and his humanity wanting to grieve and mourn his wife -- y'know, just the usual internal conflict of the guy in SotN which the series seems to draw the most heavily from where dracula is concerned), so in this "theory" it could be taken that the symbol on the floor is part of a process or ritual or ceremony which establishes the resurrection cycle and/or curse of dracula

-a sigil designed to basically act like a giant minecraft redstone to constantly feed demonic souls straight from hell into humans or their bodies amassed by whoever the group/cult is (since it seems night-creatures can, in addition to being summoned, be created from humans and human corpses), as the absence of salt and mercury could indicate a lack of need for a physical impurity/body and/or a tethered connection as in this conjecture they're simply forcefully stuffing demonic souls straight out of hell into human bodies like a massive assembly line and thus don't have to be concerned about connections that strong as the purpose herein is about quantity rather than quality

i feel like either could be compelling enough for the existing narrative as it currently stands, though given the specific mentions of things like "emptying hell" of its denizens in the trailer and the fact that the room the sigil's in has a shitload of demons and a portal/gateway of some kind, i have waaaaaay more inclination toward something resembling the latter

however, what's clear to me either way is whatever the final usage of alchemy is in this season, one thing is abundantly clear to me from all my years researching the topic and hermetic writings of all kinds:

these motherfuckers lookin' to make a Stone

now what kind of stone and at what specific point in the process they stop at is up in the air and i'll probably devote more time into research connections and theorizing based on what we know (or not, with only a few days before it drops there's probably no point in that)

but everything about that sigil on the floor has strong connections to extremely crucial and critical elements of the processes involved in the magnum opus

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2020, 10:44:08 PM »
Aaaaahhhh, I hadn’t spotted the tail bit for Saturn in there as well.  Thanks D9 for that info dump, it’s useful. :)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: February 25, 2020, 02:34:13 AM »
+1
Hi @Tattered! It's been a while!

Thanks @D9. Ohhh... a stone! Philosopher's stone? Or the failures from making the Philosopher's -- ebony or crimson stone?

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2020, 10:04:37 AM »
Philosopher's stone? Or the failures from making the Philosopher's -- ebony or crimson stone?

According to LoI both the crimson and ebony stones were created by accident. That knowledge might be lost to history with Rinaldo's passing. The ultimate goal of alchemy is the Philosopher's stone. Dracula, if I'm not mistaken, apparently has both of the other stones (not like he needs them with the kind of power he's capable of unleashing on his own). But since this is a stand-alone series who knows what they want to create with alchemy.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2020, 03:24:53 AM »
+1
According to LoI both the crimson and ebony stones were created by accident. That knowledge might be lost to history with Rinaldo's passing. The ultimate goal of alchemy is the Philosopher's stone. Dracula, if I'm not mistaken, apparently has both of the other stones (not like he needs them with the kind of power he's capable of unleashing on his own). But since this is a stand-alone series who knows what they want to create with alchemy.

I've always believed the crimson and ebony weren't failures so much as a complete and different form of philosophers stone and an incomplete one, respectively

if you made a stone that gave eternal life and fabulous powers but made you a vampire in an era where vampires were seen as evil, you might consider it a failure rather than simply a different result than you expected

and blackening was a step of the opus prior to completion

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2020, 09:42:01 AM »
I can agree with you on that one. Ridaldo only said they were created by accident so technically they aren't failures either, but unexpected results. The ebony stone sounds like it was more closer to the Philosopher's stone as one brings about eternal youth while the other brings about eternal night. Both have the 'eternal' effect but are applied to different things.

Tags:

anything