Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Yet another Castlevania fan-game  (Read 36299 times)

Offline Viper

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Yet another Castlevania fan-game
« on: December 21, 2010, 06:37:52 AM »
Please not be angry for some kind of spam here.)

Just want to inform about another fan-game in development. I've been working on it for last two months. And permanently searched for a help.) Nobody was interested so far.

Kind of teaser:
Castlevania fan-game

Basic idea is some kind of metroidvania, but without level up and different kind of weapons. Just whip (implemented three kind of whip now) and sub-weapons (axe, holy-water and cross). Also i want to make them important part of game. Like relics alongside with double-jump and other. So, without searching for axe or holy-water, go through some levels may be almost impossible. But teoretically...ok, like in Super Metroid 3, if you know what i'm talking about.

Diary of development, some screenshots is here:
http://pachka-chaya.livejournal.com/
only in Russian so far

Noticed that my English is terrible. Sorry, I really need some practice.)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 10:41:16 PM by Viper »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 08:16:29 AM »
Hey, these are some pretty great ideas you're showing off in the video.  It looks like there are pits of death even though it's an adventure like SotN.  It also looks like you go to church to get missions.  Neat stuff.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline buijon

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: Yet another Castlevania fan-game
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 08:26:24 AM »
Wow only 2 months? Looks great so far. What are you using to make it?

Offline Viper

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 09:17:38 AM »
Thanks for replying!)

I'm using Game Maker. Never did anything like that before, so selected it randomly. So I really don't know is this a good platform, or not. It has built-in mechanism to show sprites on screen and check collisions. And besides that it have many stuff for beginners, as far as i can see. But in the end you still have to write tons of code.) Built-in programming language is not so bad.

Actually i spend most of time on rewrtiting platforming engine, at least three times, and working with sprites. Sprites is really a headache. Just to place enemy parts on right places pixel-accurate takes hours. Unfortunately i'm not artist at all, i'm more into music.) If i could find some people to draw some arts for game it would be great.

Now i'm working on monster's code. To have a couple of them not just walk left-right, and fly after character, you know.) Alongside adding content to game: more breakable stuff, levels and other.

Also i need help on sorting sounds pack to use some in game. I just haven't time for that. If anyone could help please write. Problem is to name a ton of .wav file in accordance with their content, so i can use right sounds in right places.) 123.wav -> "falling in water.wav", for example

If anyone interested you also can contribute a level. It have to be a .PNG file not smaller than 256x192 with some territory.  Full freedom here. I will place special objects like "floor" and "chandeliers" where needed.

Aso any other help, and just ideas is appreciated.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »
I think someone here has made a Sound Effects pack, which is properly labeled.  We have a few 'homebrew' programmers here, and I also know there are a couple of people using Game Maker.
Which version of Game Maker are you using?
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Viper

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 09:34:21 AM »
Interesting, thanks. I will search for it.
GM8
I'm also using a couple of extensions for it written by some good guys: lightning engine and FMOD library for GM for sound. You can find them on official GM forums.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 11:31:33 AM »
Only two months into this project and it looks quite solid! Keep up the good work there dude!  :)

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 08:54:44 AM »
Wow.....you have done a very cool and excellent work!!!! Also, you have some very intresting ideas!!!! I wish that game developers, they were having the same imagination, as you.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Viper

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 09:34:02 PM »
I think someone here has made a Sound Effects pack, which is properly labeled.

Can't find it unfortunately... It was posted here?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 09:39:34 PM »
You'd have to make a new thread requesting it.
Or search the forum's Fan Stuff for "Soundfx" or "Sounds" or something.

Here's one thread I found with a search for "Sound FX" here, Omegasigma uploaded a bunch.
Here ya go.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Viper

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 08:12:55 PM »
I can't dowload from any links from there, but still thanks. I have out of luck, i think. :-) Anyway, i started to make some original sound effects.)

I have to take a break till end of January, so i rearranged videos in some kind of teaser. It covers the same levels but have a little touch on a story. Unfortunately i'm not allowed to post links. :(
Ok, youtube code is here:
sHve9IOpA3Q
If anyone could replace links in first post with this, i will be grateful. As usual.)

Happy New Year! Wish you to whip your problems and be happy!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 08:25:30 PM by Viper »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 08:51:20 PM »
You're not allowed to post links?  Is the forum giving you a message?
You should be able to post URL links if you go past 3 posts.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Viper

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 09:15:40 PM »
I get this message:

The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
Sorry, you are not allowed to post links.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 10:12:56 PM »
Ok try now. ;)
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Viper

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 10:26:16 PM »
Tried. Got the same error message. :)

Tags: