Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: God was behind Big Bang, universe no accident: Pope  (Read 16013 times)

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: God was behind Big Bang, universe no accident: Pope
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 08:59:08 PM »
Well, I'm not sure what you believe (I'm not Catholic either, for the record) but it's not the most offensive thing I've ever heard a Pope say. :o

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 09:51:05 PM »
Actually, I was baptized and went through conformation.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 10:17:45 PM »
Well, myself, personally, I believe there is some form of "higher consciousness" that we will experience when we die. A universal consciousness perhaps.

God is energy, and according to science energy cannot be created or destroyed. Atleast that's how I see it.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 12:33:38 AM »
For me, the Big Bang never happened. It is only in our "finite" minds that everything must have a beginning and an end because it's the simplest way to think about things. For me, the universe never had a beginning and it will never have an end. It was always here, ever growing, ever changing, ever evolving, forever. A lot of ancient religons tell that the universe is the body of god and since god is eternal, then it is logical to think the same concept applies to the universe as well. It quite a comforting thing to think about rather then waiting to see the "Big Crunch" or end of time creep up on you.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 02:34:37 AM »
Ah, okay. Sorry about that HD, didn't know ^^;

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 02:59:50 AM »
............................ If the big bang did happen, then I believe God was behind it. Regardless of what this pope says. Always been my belief anyway. And I'm catholic.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 07:12:05 AM »
+1
Actually, I was baptized and went through conformation.

Either I see what you did there, or that's a hell of a Freudian Slip. :P
(It's supposed to be 'Confirmation')
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 09:23:20 AM »
Wow. Those have been my general thoughts on the universe for quite a while, and I'm not even Catholic! Interesting that the Catholic Church now officially endorses them. :o
Maybe I'm more of a traditional Christian that I thought...
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 09:38:43 AM »
Either I see what you did there, or that's a hell of a Freudian Slip. :P
(It's supposed to be 'Confirmation')

Oops, It was more of a misspelling if anything.

My bad.  :( :( :(

For me, the Big Bang never happened. It is only in our "finite" minds that everything must have a beginning and an end because it's the simplest way to think about things. For me, the universe never had a beginning and it will never have an end. It was always here, ever growing, ever changing, ever evolving, forever. A lot of ancient religons tell that the universe is the body of god and since god is eternal, then it is logical to think the same concept applies to the universe as well. It quite a comforting thing to think about rather then waiting to see the "Big Crunch" or end of time creep up on you.

-X

“Is man one of God's blunders? Or is God one of man's blunders?” Friedrich Nietzsche

I do believe in god, but I don't believe that he is as powerful as people make "him" out to be. (not saying that "he" is weak, just that he is near omnipotent, as opposed to omnipotent, which doesn't seem like much, but there is a difference.)

Also, why does man get the favorable treatment?  There could be life on other plants in the milky way galaxy and through the rest of the universe.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 09:49:43 AM by Highwind Dragoon »

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 10:03:16 AM »
It's interesting to seek theological sources for the religious theories or myths about the creation of the world (or universe).

When I studied Bible at school we studied it from a secular-historical point of view, and so my teacher taught the stories of Genesis from a pragmatic point of view.

The Jewish story of world creation, described in the Book of Genesis, which later was borrowed by Christianity and Islam and accepted by them, was very revolutionary in the time it was written, because it had aspects not present in any other religion at the time:

1. The existence of only one, abstract God (or divine being).
2. The elevation of the one God above anything in the world. Nature and great animals have been created by God, and so, forces of nature & great animals shall not be referred to as gods.
This apparently had great importance in the Jewish religion, as the book claims:

001:021 And God created great whales, and every living creature that
        moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their
        kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that
        it was good.

Some ancient religions believed that whales and gators are Gods (or divine beings), and so the Bible mentions that God created them, therefore they are nothing more than animals. 

3. God created humans in His image. "In his image" means, not physically, as God has no form, but mentally- he gave him the ability to think. Humans were given dominion over the land, and so they are free, and not slaves of a god.

It's easy to understand how revolutionary this theory was when compared to Enuma Elis, the Babylonian myth of world creation. The Babylonian believed that the world was created as a result of a war between gods, and the earth and skies were created by the god Marduk from the corpse of Tiamat, a god that he has killed. Later he uses the blood of her husband to create humans, and makes them his servants.   

« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 10:06:45 AM by Citizen Freddy »
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 02:03:37 PM »
Reminds me of Doug TenNapel's (Earthworm Jim creator) blog post, "Four Revolutionary Words".

"Finally, I read my kids those first four words of Genesis, 'In the beginning, God...' and I stop. Within four words the Bible has already pissed off most of my employers, most of the philosophers I read, many in the arts community and many of my neighbors here in Los Angeles (come on, you live a city named after angels). There's little more offensive than to claim that God existed in history, is really there and that this can be known."

Moses' Genesis creation account was definitely revolutionary.

"Conformation," tee-hee. :)
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 05:20:14 PM »
As long as he's not telling people to do the old in-out without a rubber or protecting pedos (both of which he does but let's just pretend, shall we?), does it honestly matter?

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 12:45:45 AM »
*sigh*

I'm not sure I understand what would be so far fetched about God having been behind the Big Bang.

It literally is the best theoretical example of "let there be light".

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 03:45:43 AM »
I'm not sure I understand what would be so far fetched about God having been behind the Big Bang.

It literally is the best theoretical example of "let there be light".

Wow, is this like the first time I agree with you? >.>

Anywho, regarding Man getting favorable treatment.... you never know. Maybe the universe was created and everything was set in motion, and God watches the outcome, and Man just happens to come on top, making them the ones God interact with..... at least at the level we perceive. Or, it could be that Man isn't getting the more favorable treatment... it's not like we know it for sure.

Tags: