Poll

What kind of Castlevania game did you start out playing?

Castlevania, Haunted Castle, Dracula's Curse, Super Castlevania IV, Dracula X, Bloodlines, Adventure, Belmont's Revenge - early classic style
18 (58.1%)
Simon's Quest, Vampire Killer - early exploration games
2 (6.5%)
Symphony of the Night, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesia - Iga "Metroidvanias" with painting art style
6 (19.4%)
Legends, Circle of the Moon - pre-Iga non-canon 2D games
1 (3.2%)
Castlevania 64, Legacy of Darkness - pre-Iga 3D games
2 (6.5%)
Lament of Innocence, Curse of Darkness - Iga 3D games
0 (0%)
Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin - Metroidvanias with anime art style
2 (6.5%)
Chronicles, Dracula X Chronicles, Rondo of Blood, The Adventure ReBirth - recent classic ports and remakes
0 (0%)
Judgment - 3D fighter
0 (0%)
Order of Shadows, Encore of the Night - cell phone games
0 (0%)
Harmony of Despair - multiplayer coop
0 (0%)
Lords of Shadow - Mercury Steam 3D
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What kind of Castlevania game was your first game?  (Read 6498 times)

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
What kind of Castlevania game was your first game?
« on: February 24, 2013, 06:05:57 AM »
Castlevania has been many things.  I was wondering what kind of Castlevania game everyone started out with.  Then, do you find you prefer games that are of that same vein?  Select the game you first played, which are arranged into various categories such as art style, game style, era, storyline, producer, and target audience.  I figure it might make for an interesting "where people are coming from" chart.

Since my first Castlevania game was the original "NES" game, my native style is classic.  I try to embrace all styles though.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 06:08:06 AM by Reinhart77 »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: What kind of Castlevania game was your first game?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 09:42:25 AM »
CV II was the first for me even though by that time I was aware of the original CV formula and wanted to play it badly. Never-the-less CV II was THE kick-starter of the series for me. And I've got lot's of fond memories of me sitting in a completely dark room and playing CV II just to hype up the atmosphere. Good times!
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 09:49:06 AM »
Started with CV1 on the NES.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 02:12:45 PM »
I cut my teeth with Vs. Castlevania in arcades, then tried out Simon's Quest, then bought the NES CV 1 cart months later. I am of the classic design of the game.

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 02:58:58 PM »
I started with my little brother's copy of Circle of the Moon when I was 12, way back in spring 2003 I believe. I considered it to be "kind of like Diablo games, but as a 2D sidescroller". Then I got into the pre-CotM games, starting with the NES games. It took me a while to warm up to IV, but now it's easily my favorite video game of all time. I also checked out Aria of Sorrow, since it had just come out. Blew my mind, gameplay-wise. I thought the story was pretty neat too.

So I started with a MetroidVania(though not IGA's), and moved on to enjoy the classic stage-based games. It's no wonder I love Order of Ecclesia so much.
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 05:11:09 PM »
I started with a japanese Dracula X for SNES (imagine the torture, me playing Dracula X and Super Ghouls' n' Ghosts in the same day T.T), at this time I never have beaten the necromancer nor have sucess in trying to pass these damn pillars with Medusa Heads and Bone Pillars. Since I didnt understand japanese I only knew that this are Castlevania when I played my second CV game, SOTN and noticed that this "blue guy" remembered me of something.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 08:11:07 PM »
SNES Dracula X and Super Ghouls & Ghosts in the same day?? By all videogame intents and purposes you were asking to suffer, LOL! But fear not. I also know what that's like. However for me, to this day Dracula X is still far more beatable then SG&G has ever been. God! That game was pure torture along with the cussing and swearing...
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 12:16:50 AM »
I started out with Symphony. But I am well aware of the NES original since my dad was the one playing it (late 80s). Then after a few years the NES went to heaven and god knows where the original cartridge went.....

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 05:04:03 AM »
Technically Dracula XX or Super Castlevania IV. In both cases I never made it past the first stage because I was like 7-8 years old. 

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 06:09:37 AM »
The only games i had on my fat gameboy as a kid was Adventure and Pokemon Red! That was my first one.
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

emefcue

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 06:20:27 PM »
My first Castlevania game was Dawn of Sorrow.

I had always wanted to play a Castlevania game because I have always heard good things about the series. One year I got the game as a gift, and still to this day, remains one of my favorite  DS games.

It got me hooked on the series. The music especially drew me in.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 07:56:56 PM »
Castlevania on the NES
I thought it was so cool and Always loved the music, by the time I was at Stage 4 and Died so many times yet was determined (Wicked Child was perfect for that stage) I knew that Castlevania couldn't be forgotten and then I was pretty much a hardcore fan when I found out there was a whole series

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 12:15:39 PM »
I started out with Symphony. But I am well aware of the NES original since my dad was the one playing it (late 80s). Then after a few years the NES went to heaven and god knows where the original cartridge went.....

Final Fantasy I NES Soundtrack-Funeral
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Laina

• F.A.N.G. stands for “fucking awful, not great”, babe - me to UZO on SFV
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. Seeks to keep games/fandoms free of any changes they deem Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 01:47:43 PM »
Good ol' plain CV on NES when I was 3. I didn't know what the hell I was doing of course, but it was fun & I distinctly remember making it to the second level all by myself when I was 4.
Groove is in the heart.

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 02:58:24 AM »
Either CV1 or Simon's Quest; we bought them at the same time so I'm not sure which one I played first.

Tags:

anything