Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: SHOCKING NEWS: MercurySteam/Konami initally had Yamane's music for LoS...  (Read 19420 times)

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)

RB - Castlevania has a strong musical legacy and is famed for its themes and their many variations. Did you take any inspiration from the music of past games, and were you given any instructions regarding their usage in the Lords of Shadow games?

Yes, people are not aware, but some themes are inspired by earlier sagas. If one would notice more and analyze better the songs, one would notice that, instead of criticizing me for having composed the Saga. I understand that many people don’t like this idea. It would be the same for the day when John Williams could no longer compose for Star Wars. His replacement would have a difficult time. But I want people to understand that I also played the old Castlevanias, and that I was, and am, a great fan. In addition, I have a great admiration for Yamane Michiru. But they didn’t want the games to have the same musical style of the old Castlevanias because it was a very epic game and different from what was made before with the Saga. They tried to put Michiru’s music in before they decided on me, but it didn’t fit in the game.

Source: http://tracksounds.com/specialfeatures/Interviews/interview_oscar_araujo_2014.htm#.UznYKT0CIPU.twitter

Interesting things in that interview. Also MoF minimalistic soundtrack it's because console memory limitations.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
They used her tracks as demos (like the Tron one from LoS2), but it seems it didn't work. I told you Alvarez asked Oscar to compose the music in this particular way.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
I remember in los 1 oscar saying konami told him to make the music like that
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Huh, that's an awesome find, ahasverus-kun. Didn't Cox also say they heavily considered bringing her back for MoF but in the end decided to keep the music consistent with LoS1?

I can't remember if it was with 1up or USgamer, but there was an interview with Yamane where they asked her for her thoughts about the music to Lords. She said she dug it because it reminded her of Gregorian music.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
I thought that was known that Mercurysteam initially wanted to collaborate on the music with Yamane but Konami refused because it felt out of place for the game.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
I thought that was known that Mercurysteam initially wanted to collaborate on the music with Yamane but Konami refused because it felt out of place for the game.
I always thought that Araujo tried Yamane style compositions, but not that they had Yamane especifically in mind.

I'm also kind of sad for the man when he says that fans hate him but he loves the old music too :P

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)

Source: http://tracksounds.com/specialfeatures/Interviews/interview_oscar_araujo_2014.htm#.UznYKT0CIPU.twitter

Interesting things in that interview. Also MoF minimalistic soundtrack it's because console memory limitations.

The Lords of Shadow 2 soundtrack just oozes a love for Castlevania, even if it isn't the same type of music as what Yamane put out. I'm not surprised to hear that Oscar is a fan.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
I always thought that Araujo tried Yamane style compositions, but not that they had Yamane especifically in mind.

I'm also kind of sad for the man when he says that fans hate him but he loves the old music too :P

Yeah it's a shame that he'll be infamous for a quote that I can't even find on the internet anymore.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Yeah it's a shame that he'll be infamous for a quote that I can't even find on the internet anymore.
Perhaps we made it up.. but someone said it was a video intervew that might be why it's lost in time.

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Yes, people are not aware, but some themes are inspired by earlier sagas. If one would notice more and analyze better the songs, one would notice that, instead of criticizing me for having composed the Saga. I understand that many people don’t like this idea... But they didn’t want the games to have the same musical style of the old Castlevanias because it was a very epic game and different from what was made before with the Saga.

Yes, I am one of that people that can´t recognize the old music in the LoS saga (apart of the VK Music Boxand Agarta Waterfalls). Indeed, its a very different music direction. Not bad in any manner, but very different than the music we hear for so many years.

I prefer the old music (from japanese composers), and I know and read here in the forums that the music from the old games simply doesn´t fit in the LoS games. I accepted it. But I have to admit that I prefer the music used for sooo many time in the Saga. And even if John Williams don´t compose the Star Wars music, I am sure that the producers will search and find someone who can compose in a similar manner, because is an important escence in the saga...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 02:07:00 PM by Mike Belmont »
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Well Castlevania hasn't ever really had a distinctive sound. I mean, you had the upbeat "halloween-esque' tunes from the first game, the darker baroque stuff from the second, SCIV's downbeat and ambient music, Rondo's very very 90's synth pop, CV64's slow ambient stuff, Harmony's experimental music...

Even Yamane mixed things up. SotN and Aria had orchestral rock and classical music, Lament had an operatic sound mixed with pop music, Curse had a more heavy metal sound mixed with electronic music, PoR was upbeat and arcade-y, and OoE was a sort of hodgepodge of pop, classical, symphonic rock, and even some SCIV-style stuff (Jaws of a Scorched Earth sounds like it could be an alternate track to SCIV's sunken ruins stage.)

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Well, maybe its just me, but I can recognize a distinct sound even in electronic or orchestated music in the old games (like in Abandoned Castle and Wood Carving Partita last parts, to put some examples).

Its true that almost every game have a different style, but for me the Castlevania vibe is there. Maybe I can´t explain how, but is there.
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
this should be the official theme song for the castlevania dungeon forum

Let's Listen: CV Harmony Of Dissonance - Merchant's Theme (Extended)

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
 :-X  X-P  Ugh!  No!!

:P

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
this should be the official theme song for the castlevania dungeon forum

Let's Listen: CV Harmony Of Dissonance - Merchant's Theme (Extended)

Best song in the game right there

Tags: