Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The first sign rises with the full moon.  (Read 1046172 times)

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
Re: The first sign rises with the full moon.
« Reply #2115 on: June 14, 2015, 10:49:50 PM »
+3
But before we go any further please keep in mind that all this is competely subjective.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2116 on: June 15, 2015, 02:09:30 AM »
Simon's Quest feels kinda unfinished and is lacking in a couple of areas (mainly the bosses, the repetitive graphics and the overall confusion of where to go and what to do), but I sort of like that. The game has great atmosphere, unlike anything seen in the series since. It's really weird and eerie and interesting. It's like Dark Souls in the 80's!

I wonder if the game was rushed? It seems they didn't have enough time to iron out some of its shortcomings. Like, was it really intended to be so....empty? It's a real classic, nonetheless. I think a lot of the hate for Simon's Quest came after that video by the Angry Video Game Nerd. I don't remember people hating on it before that.

I'd love a remake, even more so than a Dracula's Curse remake. The potential for a fantastic game is there.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #2117 on: June 15, 2015, 04:39:56 AM »
+5
DEATH PIT would be an excellent metal band name.

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #2118 on: June 15, 2015, 08:55:43 AM »
Would water in Assassin's Creed 1 count as a death pit as you parkour around (or just falling from a super tall height)? I suppose you could make the argument at AC isn't an exploration game, but then I say you're missing half of the fun.

I think death pits in Bloodstained would be ok if they're explained by spikes or lava (kind of like the spike hallway of doom in SotN, but in a pit).

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #2119 on: June 15, 2015, 10:13:07 AM »
Agreed. The music is phenomenal. The graphics are great. And the over all presentation of the game evokes fear. It used to give me chills staying up at night playing it.

The game gives a great sense of exploration traveling between towns through forests and marshes. Something metriodvanias never did although OOE comes close. Being trapped inside the walls of a castle always felt like prison to me compared to the fresh air of Simon's Quest.

Simon's Quest is far from perfect. Perhaps it was rushed. But I think it gives the player more than a memorable experience.

The game has soul. It has been a great influence on me as an artist. It's value to me is more than the sum of its parts.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2120 on: June 15, 2015, 11:47:23 AM »
Agreed. The music is phenomenal. The graphics are great. And the over all presentation of the game evokes fear. It used to give me chills staying up at night playing it.

The game gives a great sense of exploration traveling between towns through forests and marshes. Something metriodvanias never did although OOE comes close. Being trapped inside the walls of a castle always felt like prison to me compared to the fresh air of Simon's Quest.

Simon's Quest is far from perfect. Perhaps it was rushed. But I think it gives the player more than a memorable experience.

The game has soul. It has been a great influence on me as an artist. It's value to me is more than the sum of its parts.

Pardon me to butt in but last time I checked CV later borrowed a lot of elements from simon's quest. So it's legacy is relevant yet it gets booed upon so much that I kind of get baffled. It's not a bad game I've played much worst rygar comes to mind for me and that BS ending. Ohhhhh.... that ending.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Castle34hk

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2121 on: June 15, 2015, 01:26:26 PM »
Yes full video here ;D

Video Games AWESOME! Presents: Bloodstained Kickstarter Final Countdown!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Luxbu6bft9Y

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2122 on: June 15, 2015, 05:34:35 PM »
This is a series with games like MOF, Judgement, LOS2, Harmony of Despair, and Curse of Darkness... And you're calling Simons Quest a low point?

I can't get into this with you people..

Simon's Quest is a hallmark of the series. It pushed the envelope on what was a new genre at that time.
It's a low point. It's a bad game. The concept not being explored again (until OoE homage) is telling. The nods to the game in future games was just the director respecting the source material (not talking about LoS, but SOTN and OoE).

It had good music (one of the best themes of Castlevania is there ffs) and the idea was nice, but the execution flawed. The game was only beaten by very few people because of how obnoxious the game was. The "leveling" system was something almost no one noticed that was in the game. Also the level design was completely bullshit in some of the mansions, some precise platforming that made you drop to the bottom of the level many, many times and just made the game frustating sometimes (the wrong kind of frustating).

It's just... not good. And it's a pretty common opinion by players in forums and everywhere, really.

Simon's Quest feels kinda unfinished and is lacking in a couple of areas (mainly the bosses, the repetitive graphics and the overall confusion of where to go and what to do), but I sort of like that. The game has great atmosphere, unlike anything seen in the series since. It's really weird and eerie and interesting. It's like Dark Souls in the 80's!

I wonder if the game was rushed? It seems they didn't have enough time to iron out some of its shortcomings. Like, was it really intended to be so....empty? It's a real classic, nonetheless. I think a lot of the hate for Simon's Quest came after that video by the Angry Video Game Nerd. I don't remember people hating on it before that.

I'd love a remake, even more so than a Dracula's Curse remake. The potential for a fantastic game is there.

This is getting pretty common. (Trying to blame these youtubers as the ones who created the bad opinion about a game. ). I can't talk for the others, but I thought the game was bad since when I was a kid, and really, I liked almost anything as a kid.

Same with Super Castlevania IV for me. There was something off about that game that made me never want to finish it (besides not owning it, but I had the access to finish it if I really wanted) until I was older (in respect for the series).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 05:40:09 PM by Maedhros »

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #2123 on: June 16, 2015, 12:31:03 AM »
Ok everyone, now that the SHENMUE 3 kickstarter is up, and moving at the speed of light, do you think it will beat Bloodstained? I will be happy regardless but I have a feeling the Shenmue kickstarter is gonna be sick on a whole new level. 7 million? 9?

Though I wonder if it has additional funding, like Bloodstained? I think a 2 million kickstarter budget sounds unreasonably low for Shenmue.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 12:34:48 AM by shelverton. »

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #2124 on: June 16, 2015, 04:29:05 AM »
The discussion about Simon's Quest has been taken over this thread a little bit. If you want to continue talking about it, please make a seperate one. Let's stick to talking about things related to Bloodstained from now.

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2125 on: June 16, 2015, 05:24:53 AM »
Yeah, stop it guys your not suppose to talk about Castlevania games in the General Castlevania Discussion section. :P

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2126 on: June 16, 2015, 05:29:17 AM »
Think we'll see levels outside the castle? Or will it be entirely within its walls like SOTN was?

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #2127 on: June 16, 2015, 05:52:57 AM »
Yeah, stop it guys your not suppose to talk about Castlevania games in the General Castlevania Discussion section. :P

I know you're just kidding, and although this technically not a Castlevania game, I don't want this to turn into a general chat thread. Got to be consisted in being inconsistent or whatever. Anyway, let's just carry on.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #2128 on: June 16, 2015, 06:11:55 AM »

Yeah, no kidding. I messaged Jorge and suggested that a new discussion section be made for Bloodstained. It only makes sense. He didn't respond.

Think we'll see levels outside the castle? Or will it be entirely within its walls like SOTN was?

It's an Igavania. I would be surprised to see much of anything outside. But I hope so!

The worst monsters are human.

Offline Charlotte-nyo:3

• Bloodstained is our hope
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #2129 on: June 16, 2015, 06:17:14 AM »
+1
IGA: King of Kickstarter for Three Days

:'(

Tags:

anything