Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Ever put on an accent and have it stick?  (Read 9378 times)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Ever put on an accent and have it stick?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 04:44:38 AM »
It's interesting, the French thoughts and dreams only arise when attached to certain people in my life. 

That's common, yep.

For instance, you've all heard me speak and it's largely rather clear and enunciated for someone from Kentucky (or at least what someone not from the region would expect from someone from Kentucky)--but the further south I go (to visit family or whatever), the more the twang comes out.

Etc., etc.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 06:55:58 AM »
That's really cool. The reason I ask is that is that I had a friend who went to live in Japan, became fluent and echoed the same response as you.

When I first came to Australia I could barely speak a word of English. I was turning 4 years old at the time, my default language was French. After reaching 6-7 years old I did dream in French on occasion, but 95% of the time it was in English. I think I stopped thinking in French the majority of the time after around 8-10 years old. It's interesting, the French thoughts and dreams only arise when attached to certain people in my life. 

Maybe if you learn a language when you're out of childhood, you're also learning to actively think in that language because you hadn't had to previously do it. I think when you're a child under the age of 7 your brain development is rampant and you just pick up things like there's no tomorrow without having to think too much about it.

Yup, agreeing with you on the linguistics learnt at a young age thing.  Even if fluency isn't reached, those roots, and the ear for other languages, stay firmly wired in your brain.  I grew up in a tri-lingual family (not even counting different dialects), and while I annoyingly never became fluent in more than English after starting school, I have the ear for languages.  It's why I find it really easy to watch and listen to stuff in say, Japanese, and pick a few bits up here and there.  My problem now is though I get bored when trying to go back and learn properly the other languages, as I find the basics boring and too easy.  The bits though I do speak I think in that language.  I've seen similar with friends in academia who've got kids and have lived in different countries.  The kids, like I did, mix languages, and will even jump between langauges in a single sentence, with some words one langauge, and the rest in another.

As for picking up accents not my own, for a vampire larp I used to play in, I put on a really cheesy 'Transylvanian' accent - yeah, I was playing a character who thought she was one of the Draculesti, and sometimes she'd put on a 'posh' English accent to try and fit in.  The really anoying thing was, after the game once, I couldn't shake this awful, really hammy, fake Transylvanian accent!  I had to really force myself to speak with my normal, very neutral accent.  It was funny mind you. XD
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2017, 01:56:26 PM »
Dreaming in French... It's odd, I never remember which language I dream in. But then again, I hardly EVER remember dreams to begin with. It is very rare that I can recall my dreams clearly. 
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2017, 04:24:20 PM »
Yup, agreeing with you on the linguistics learnt at a young age thing.  Even if fluency isn't reached, those roots, and the ear for other languages, stay firmly wired in your brain.  I grew up in a tri-lingual family (not even counting different dialects), and while I annoyingly never became fluent in more than English after starting school, I have the ear for languages.  It's why I find it really easy to watch and listen to stuff in say, Japanese, and pick a few bits up here and there.  My problem now is though I get bored when trying to go back and learn properly the other languages, as I find the basics boring and too easy.  The bits though I do speak I think in that language.  I've seen similar with friends in academia who've got kids and have lived in different countries.  The kids, like I did, mix languages, and will even jump between langauges in a single sentence, with some words one langauge, and the rest in another.

I also grew up in a tri-lingual family and learned Japanese as an adult.
Language mixing in one sentence is very common in my country since most people are bilingual. Hmmm... so that explains why a lot of my countrymen can adapt to learn other languages easily.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 12:14:37 AM »
Dreaming in French... It's odd, I never remember which language I dream in. But then again, I hardly EVER remember dreams to begin with. It is very rare that I can recall my dreams clearly.

Some dreams don't really involve anything more than a feeling or having strong visuals. Remembering specific sounds other than voices are more difficult than visuals or feelings in my experience.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 03:22:00 AM »
But then again, I hardly EVER remember dreams to begin with. It is very rare that I can recall my dreams clearly.

Same here, but most of mine are really weird and vaguely irritating anyway.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2017, 06:40:58 AM »
Language mixing in one sentence is very common in my country since most people are bilingual. Hmmm... so that explains why a lot of my countrymen can adapt to learn other languages easily.

I find it a really fascinating thing to observe, and fall very firmly into the camp that I think that children should be taught other languages from a young age, something left all too often too late in my country.  Teachers shouldn't wait until chilren are 11 before starting to teach other languages.  I found learning Latin for a few years really useful as well, it helped my English interestingly as well.

Same here, but most of mine are really weird and vaguely irritating anyway.

I dream very vividly, in full colour visuals and sound.  It's like I'm there, going through the dream, but I never seem to notice not sensing touch or smell.  I remember my dreams a lot as well, and boy are they often rather weird and surreal.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline TheTextGuy

• Vampire Hunter
  • Rocket punch!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2017, 06:12:47 PM »
When I stayed in Japan, my English died.

I think one of my uncles (who came from Korea, lives in Canada) was able to speak decent English, but once he switched businesses (from a convenience store to a carpentry business) and dealt mostly with Korean customers, his English got worse.

My mom and dad also tend to mix in English words with Korean sometimes.  Thanks to me learning Korean recently (yeah, I did not know my parent's native language until just recently), I'm starting to mix in more Korean words with my English.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 03:25:18 AM »
This has been interesting to read the last couple of posts.

Does anyone else mix in not languages, but phrases from other places? e.g. having a lot of friends from the UK has resulted in me using a lot of various UK phrases (cock it up, take the piss, etc.) in everyday speech.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 04:15:20 AM »
This has been interesting to read the last couple of posts.

Does anyone else mix in not languages, but phrases from other places? e.g. having a lot of friends from the UK has resulted in me using a lot of various UK phrases (cock it up, take the piss, etc.) in everyday speech.

I say "wanker" and "cunt" quite a bit in normal speech. I also spell stuff like flavour or colour with a "u", but that's typing, not talking.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 03:34:30 PM »
I also spell stuff like flavour or colour with a "u", but that's typing, not talking.

Why would you do that? That's just using too many letters.  :P

Since I've never been required to write a lot in English, and I write pretty damn slowly in English, I developed quite a useful system of shorthand. It includes abbreviations for most commonly used words like org., gov., ppl., buro., diff. (different), impl. (implement), and of course, the horrible word that the English for some reason failed to come up with a better translation for, entrep. (entrepreneur).
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Tags:

anything