Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: How do you deal with being prejudiced against?  (Read 22153 times)

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
How do you deal with being prejudiced against?
« on: October 12, 2011, 08:10:23 AM »
I was out getting a burger yesterday when I ran into a Finnish guy I know named Peklo Putkimies, whom I thought was a decent enough guy. I asked him to eat with me so we could talk about the coldness. But instead, he just glared at me and said "I know you stole my water hose, and frankly I don't like your kind." There had been a rash of thefts near our village, so I understand his frustration. However, the last bit was very, very uncalled for.

Have you ever been actively discrimated against, and how did you deal with it?

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: How do you deal with being prejudiced against?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 08:36:53 AM »
I used to have long hair until recently. Whenever I was driving at night in my hometown, and not even particularly late (around 9PM), I noticed that I would get pulled over all the time without ever speeding. Now of course, police officers like to exaggerate any excuse they may have had to pull you over, so they often said I was speeding by about 10 miles over the limit(lies, I make sure not to speed BECAUSE I don't want them to have an excuse to pull me over). Anyway, the FIRST thing I would often be asked was if I was high because "your eyes look glazed". I'm not into drugs, so obviously, I've never been high while driving. So a little offended, I always would say, "No, my eyes are always dry at night. I don't do drugs." It's a little thing, and I never once got a ticket under these circumstances despite them happening all the time. They just figured a teenage-looking guy with long hair driving around at night had to be up to no good.

Also, I'm a psychology student at my university. I'm currently working on my senior project, which is to put together and perform a psychological study. Well as I was waiting in the psychology office to meet with my adviser, a girl who was just starting to put her experiment together was asking about gender differences without ever consulting any actual studies.  :rollseyes: Anyway, she was asking questions about what men and women look for in relationships. I think you can all see where this is going.

She said that she thinks that women just want someone nice, and men are "looking for the whole package". Now I'm not 100% sure what she meant by "whole package", but she motioned at her body, seeming to imply that men were absolutely all about the T & A and nothing else. So feeling a little offended, and being the smartass I like to be in situations like this, I responded, "Yeah, girls just want a nice guy. A nice guy who will take them to a nice resturaunt and buy them a nice meal using a nice amount of cash which lets the woman know how secure they will be if they stay near him and his nice cash. I've actually seen the studies, and they show that women rank a man's salary higher on the scale of who they would like to marry than men do. Men ranked love higher than women did in the same study. Look it up, then talk." She shut up after that.  ;D
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 08:37:14 AM »
Wait, don't we know a guy named Peklo?

I'm a Hispanic person living in the USA.  I got my green card, visa, and was summoned to the USA by my parents over 20 years ago, and quickly got my citizenship as well.  Thankfully the area of the USA in which I live has great acceptance of hispanics, so I do not actually get prejudiced against very often.  Sure, there's a joke every once in a while, but I also dish them out, and they're usually with my closest friends, so I know it's all in good fun.

Having said that, there are some topics which can be hurtful:
-Assuming I'm illegally in the USA.
-thinking I'm in a gang (even though my attire and manner of speaking clearly say otherwise)
-assuming I have four kids at home (I have no children).
-talking to me slowly as if I did not comprehend the English Language.

Thankfully these have not happened in quite some time, so that's quite a relief.
I use comedy to make the situation more light-hearted.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 08:50:41 AM »
Wait, don't we know a guy named Peklo?

It seems Peklo has a lot of fans at the Chapel.

But me? I haven't got prejudiced against in a while (the way I used to dress) so it's a non-issue for me. But if it happens nowadays I'll either A. Laugh it off, or B. Punch them in the face. Cuz if you hurt someone, they'll leave you alone! :)

Offline Opium

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 09:06:53 AM »
Some of us belong to groups that are pretty much hated by all of society, so we experience discrimination every single day.  We have no choice but to live with it.  What are we supposed to do, kill ourselves?
At the end of the day, most people are not more advanced than shaved monkeys and will throw their feces in a fear response to anything that they don't fully understand.  It doesn't matter what people are bigoted against, they all give the same reasons for their bigotry and it's always a list of things that are totally not true.  You can tell them over and over that those things are not true, but because of the social constructs which keep them feeling safe they cannot open their mind for even one second, so in essence they are 'willfully ignorant', which is the worst kind because it will never go away.
Just surround yourself with like-minded people and ignore the rest.  Life is too short.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 09:31:45 AM »
Now of course, police officers like to exaggerate any excuse they may have had to pull you over

Well lookie here, I've just been prejudiced against.   :D

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 09:41:46 AM »
Ha ha, Irony! That just generated a healthy chuckle out of me.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Vampire Killer

• HOLY CROSS, Batman!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 10:46:58 AM »
I'm a WASP.

Life is good :D
Behold my true form......IS A CHAIR!!!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 11:14:52 AM »
Many people during my school years were prejudiced against me due to my last name, thinking it described my sexual orientation precisely. Pfft! Whatever scum suckers :P I can't even begin to tell you how many times I imagined torturing them for hours on end just to satisfy my own internal rage. From Elementary all the way through High school, it was like that for me. Those unevolved pricks just couldn't get it through their heads that they were full of their own egos (which is what I consider to possibly be the worst drug known to man). It's been over ten years since school and so far I have not dealt with any more of that s**t. But the people I do work with sometimes get similar treatment and it opens up those old wounds all over again.  >:(
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 11:21:07 AM »
That's why you have to punch them in the face, X.

Oh you're a pacifist? Then pass your fist through their face ;)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 11:26:56 AM »
I don't remember ever been prejudiced against. I remember some occasions in which some kids tried to offend me by shouting curses in Russian, but they were idiots anyway so I didn't care.

However... Even though prejudice inside the Jewish society is quite rare (or at least under the table), there's a lot of prejudice between Jews and Arabs and vice versa. It ranges from severe xenophobia and distrust, to racist Jewish superiority belief (I am better simply because I'm a Jew). It's disgusting. The prolonged conflict is poisoning people's minds to the point where morality becomes clouded.

My father holds prejudice against Arabs and Muslims. It saddens me greatly. I often argue with him about the importance of an objective point of view, but he refuses to listen. He thinks the world is black & white, he even said it to me. I answered that it's a very immature point of view.
I think there was a time I used to see it that way as well, but I don't remember it now.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 12:22:12 PM »
Well lookie here, I've just been prejudiced against.   :D
Well... ;D

I actually don't have anything against police officers, and never have. After all, they're here to keep the peace. It just annoyed me that I'd get pulled over all the time without doing anything wrong. It hasn't happened since I cut my hair though.

But yes, it's easy to develop generalizations, like mine for example.
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Opium

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 01:26:38 PM »
My father holds prejudice against Arabs and Muslims.

So do I, but I think it's OK to hate people for hating (and many religious people DO hate others, muslims are the most notorious for it).  If it weren't then we'd all be speaking german right now.

He thinks the world is black & white, he even said it to me. I answered that it's a very immature point of view.

*gasp!*  If I ever said anything like that to my father, I think it would be my death sentence.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 05:02:38 PM »
Well... ;D

I actually don't have anything against police officers, and never have. After all, they're here to keep the peace. It just annoyed me that I'd get pulled over all the time without doing anything wrong. It hasn't happened since I cut my hair though.

But yes, it's easy to develop generalizations, like mine for example.
I'm just joking with you, no offense taken.  I read it and thought it was funny.  Lots of people have far worse to say about police.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 07:00:32 PM »
That's why you have to punch them in the face, X.

Oh believe me, I'd like nothing more then to simply "cut lose" with people that try to bring me down and others that I care for.

Oh you're a pacifist? Then pass your fist through their face ;)

How did you know I was a pacifist?? Did I mention it here before or put it in my bio? I can't remember  :'(
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags:

anything