Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Haunted Castle  (Read 70817 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #225 on: June 16, 2014, 05:48:40 PM »
You could make it have a time limit, but instead of getting it as a whip upgrade, it costs like 20 hearts or something to initiate. Something like down + item crash button to activate. Just don't make the startup too flashy/long, or it'll result in the player getting trapped and damaged.

Similar to what it was in SotN. I like this too.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #226 on: June 16, 2014, 07:59:13 PM »
Yeah. Except it doesn't get removed when you have a sub-weapon.

I was thinking later that perhaps for the startup animation you are invincible with flames surrounding you for a second or two, that if an enemy approaches it will take a little damage from.

Could even try and see how making you invincible for a second or two after that as well would work. Might be too cheap, but it may be worth trying to play test.

For the cost of 25 or so hearts, it may be a good payoff.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #227 on: June 16, 2014, 08:09:35 PM »
I like thay way PoR did it. -> ->+attack = flame whip. Should probably cost 4 hearts.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #228 on: June 16, 2014, 08:28:49 PM »
That's a pretty good idea too.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #229 on: June 17, 2014, 04:50:19 AM »
Those ideas are cool, but I think it should be kept more simple.
Since this is a Classicvania style game, I would be wary of using stuff that is more at home in the later games.

I'd only make it a hit-to-lose mechanic if it could be called at will as per Uzo & ZeroSabreGreen suggestions.
Otherwise, if you have to go to the trouble of finding it as a power up then it should be time or stage limited depending on how powerful it is.
"Stuff and things."

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #230 on: June 17, 2014, 10:05:44 AM »
I can see the flame whip upgrade being time limited if it were as plentiful as it was in ReBirth. But not if it's scarce and hard to find cause then there would be no point to picking it up. uzo's and ZeroSaberGreen's suggestion I think is the way to go.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #231 on: June 17, 2014, 02:00:49 PM »
If it can be use don a per hit basis, i was thinking then maybe theres a 'power up' button so to speak.

Basically hold the Power button, and press the attack button to get a flame whip. Hold the Power button and press the sub-weapon button (or up+attack command) to get an item crash. Something like that.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #232 on: June 24, 2014, 05:13:46 PM »
+1
So, Flame Whip is now an item-crash-esque upgrade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSuwahPE73A
(Dailymotion appears to have harsher copyright rules, and the video was rejected entirely. Little pissed I had to go back to GoogleTube to upload it, but oh well)

A flame powerup will be hidden in each stage. The powerup, once collected, allows for unlimited access to the Flame Whip for the rest of that stage, and it has to be re-found on the next one. Pressing the 'D' key activates the upgrade with an item crash animation, during which you are invincible; but there aren't any big flame waves or anything, I don't know how I feel about that idea just yet.

The duration of the powerup is roughly thirty seconds (I believe it was around 32-33 when I counted, but I doubt I'll change it to be EXACTLY thirty just because the crash animation takes up a little bit of that time), and a little flame will appear next to the heart total on the HUD to let the player know they've still got the powerup. Activating the Whip costs 20 hearts.

So, on that note, should I add anything else to it? I entertained the idea of the whip producing a fireball if it's extended to the end of its animation, but seeing as the flame whip does nearly as much damage as the Sword, I don't know if adding a fireball would balance or imbalance the two. If I made it really, REALLY hard to find the powerup, d'ya think that would balance out its insane damage output?

Oh, and on a semi-related note, I did try to do a forward, forward, attack combo and only have the whip cost like five hearts. It didn't work very well(the whips kept reversing direction and using the wrong animation, and their damage output wasn't what I should have been because the obpHero.fire variable checks kept interfering with other shit), but I think this is a better method anyway.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #233 on: June 24, 2014, 06:15:18 PM »
Now that's a flame whip! ;D

I had a game play idea for you. I think it would be cool if you could like certain background elements only with the flame whip.

Such as boulders or torches that can be used against enemies. How about lighting a rope bridge that snaps and falls towards you revealing a secret path, that type of thing.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #234 on: June 24, 2014, 06:20:04 PM »
That idea has been in the works since the Torch. Don't worry, there will be plenty of destroyable/interactive stage elements and gimmicks.

I've even played around with the idea of being able to get a flame whip upgrade that lasts the whole game by finding a Soul Reaver-esque Fire Forge that also lets you ignite the Sword, but I don't know how left-field that would be. Since the game's stage-progressive, incorporating a single font of power like that would be more difficult than, say, putting in a Metroidvania or open-world game.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #235 on: June 25, 2014, 05:10:39 PM »
That idea has been in the works since the Torch. Don't worry, there will be plenty of destroyable/interactive stage elements and gimmicks.

I've even played around with the idea of being able to get a flame whip upgrade that lasts the whole game by finding a Soul Reaver-esque Fire Forge that also lets you ignite the Sword, but I don't know how left-field that would be. Since the game's stage-progressive, incorporating a single font of power like that would be more difficult than, say, putting in a Metroidvania or open-world game.

Flame sword? That's a fantastic idea!

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #236 on: June 28, 2014, 06:41:19 PM »
On the note of fire-based things, finally got Lossoth to stop breaking.

Now if only I can get the Axe Armors to work properly...right now they don't want to use their cooldown timers, and that means a SEA OF AXES.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #237 on: June 29, 2014, 07:27:57 AM »
On the note of fire-based things, finally got Lossoth to stop breaking.

Now if only I can get the Axe Armors to work properly...right now they don't want to use their cooldown timers, and that means a SEA OF AXES.

Well this game is going to be fun!

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #238 on: June 30, 2014, 07:38:55 AM »
The lossoth's fireballs need to take more damage.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #239 on: June 30, 2014, 10:22:24 AM »
Not too much damage. You can afford higher damage in a Metroidvania because of the leveling system. But not in a classicvania cause it would lead to cheap deaths.

Tags:

anything