Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1821091 times)

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania Mirror of Fate ( 3DS per request )
« Reply #885 on: May 23, 2012, 01:44:25 PM »
Having a sidescroller with an actual combat system might lead to more interesting gameplay...so there's that.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #886 on: May 23, 2012, 01:46:16 PM »
Having a sidescroller with an actual combat system might lead to more interesting gameplay...so there's that.

Doesn't a combat system slowly translate into a fighter/brawler? I mean, not having a combat system never hurt the freewheeling action and challenge of earlier 2D Castlevania games. Hopefully this title will be inspired by Castlevania IV. By the way, from the MTV article, it sounds like the 3DS cameras will be used in "puzzles." Makes me wonder about the game's "flow."

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #887 on: May 23, 2012, 01:47:52 PM »
Doesn't a combat system slowly translate into a fighter/brawler? I mean, not having a combat system never hurt the freewheeling action and challenge of earlier 2D Castlevania games.

From what we know it's retaining the basic castlevania formula but with an added combat system. Sounds win win to me. You have more moves for some fun gameplay while keeping all the traditional ideas too. I don't see a flaw in that concept, at least on paper.

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #888 on: May 23, 2012, 01:49:01 PM »
+2
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

That would be quite awful. Right now MoF sounds 100x more interesting than all of the DS Castlevanias combined.

Quite true.

Trevor, Simon, and Alucard make for some serious bait...
But Cox's involvement makes me a little nervous about where this is going...

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #889 on: May 23, 2012, 01:49:53 PM »
Quite true.

Trevor, Simon, and Alucard make for some serious bait...
But Cox's involvement makes me a little nervous about where this is going...

If Trevor and Simon are the main characters of the 3ds game then we better get to play as alucard in Los2....
it would be such a tease to just flaunt alucard and not let us play as him in either game!

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #890 on: May 23, 2012, 01:50:13 PM »
I believe that you can have death pits, even in metroidvanias. Instead of instan kill, the player could received a huge amount of damage, so if you don't want to see a game over, then you should learn not to fall inside the death pits. That way, casual gamers want turn away, because they want have to start all over, every time they get fall into a death pit, exept if they keep falling.........
Ruler of Chaos

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #891 on: May 23, 2012, 01:51:12 PM »
From what we know it's retaining the basic castlevania formula but with an added combat system. Sounds win win to me. You have more moves for some fun gameplay while keeping all the traditional ideas too. I don't see a flaw in that concept, at least on paper.

OK. Just so long as it's balanced within the context of the levels. Combat systems sometimes mean flatter "hallway-style" levels, with an emphasis on beating things up versus traversing structural obstructions. What do you make of the puzzle system, though. Did you read my edit: By the way, from the MTV article, it sounds like the 3DS cameras will be used in "puzzles." Makes me wonder about the game's "flow." (PS: interesting that it was supposedly originally for Wii U; that dev time is what we have to thank for LoS Wii U, I'd imagine).

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #892 on: May 23, 2012, 01:52:58 PM »
The MTV is just reporting what we already knew... it isn't confirmation by any means.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #893 on: May 23, 2012, 01:54:40 PM »
OK. Just so long as it's balanced within the context of the levels. Combat systems sometimes mean flatter "hallway-style" levels, with an emphasis on beating things up versus traversing structural obstructions. What do you make of the puzzle system, though. Did you read my edit: By the way, from the MTV article, it sounds like the 3DS cameras will be used in "puzzles." Makes me wonder about the game's "flow."

This one reminds me the touch screen function from DoS and i can tell you that i hated, so if the new puzzle system disturbs the flow of the game, then i will be very disappointed......
Ruler of Chaos

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #894 on: May 23, 2012, 02:00:38 PM »
+3
This one reminds me the touch screen function from DoS and i can tell you that i hated, so if the new puzzle system disturbs the flow of the game, then i will be very disappointed......

Although I thoroughly despised the Magic Seals, LoS takes the Golden Trophy for "puzzles that disturbed the flow of the game."  Another cause for concern...

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #895 on: May 23, 2012, 02:05:03 PM »
Although I thoroughly despised the Magic Seals, LoS takes the Golden Trophy for "puzzles that disturbed the flow of the game."  Another cause for concern...
I loved the puzzles in LoS, to be perfectly honest. Vampire Chess was a really fun mini game.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #896 on: May 23, 2012, 02:05:23 PM »
Yeah I wasn't too fond of LoS' puzzles either. Way too many. At least they gave us the option to skip them altogether.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #897 on: May 23, 2012, 02:13:18 PM »
Did you noticed I never said the castle was the problem? Also, destrutible objects are really different from the what candles did in CV. ALL of them needed to drop something (hearts or not), that way they would be part of the design. Outside the castle, they could use rock piles, impaled bodies or even rustic candles hanging in trees (of course, if the game had darker places outside the castle, like more darker forests).

The ammo system changed, so no, not everything needed to drop something, and just because every item doesn't drop something, doesn't mean it's not part of the design.

And they did have destructible outside the castle. The cave, the forest ruins, the monestary, etc.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #898 on: May 23, 2012, 02:32:23 PM »
Wait, I'm just catching up.
So MoF stars Simon AND Trevor Belmont as father/son duo. Where's Alucard? is he evil? (I bet he is, at least in MoF)

And the most importatn question: So who is the progtagonist of the console sequel? if Only Simon, then Trevor dies at the end of MoF?

P.S: Did someone -1'd 77 of my posts since this morning? Hahahahah
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 02:34:07 PM by Ahasverus »

Everything comes full circle

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #899 on: May 23, 2012, 02:39:27 PM »
The info seems to be everywhere at the moment. I thought Alucard would be the star of LoS2? Or is it Simon and Trevor together in the handheld? Ughghghg.

I also remember when the first screens of OoE was leaked, I was among many people who thought they were faked. :X

Tags: .....?