Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Is Transylvania/Wallachia in the CV universe more isolated than in reality?  (Read 13743 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Is Transylvania/Wallachia in the CV universe more isolated than in reality?
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2018, 10:02:22 PM »
>calling cv3 the demon castle war

burn the apostate for this sacrilege

*chuckle* Oh come on, you know what I mean. CV had like two demon castle wars. CV III was the first and the 1999 battle was the second. Kinda like WWI and WWII.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2018, 05:08:55 PM »
I always Believed that the church Just had really good PR, I mean top Brass knows about it, like most world if not all Governments, But some how they always managed to cover it up to the everday person.   

(click to show/hide)

Maybe In the world of CV, Any one that was too out spoken about Monsters being real Got warned to keep ones mouth shut.  And if they kept on, sent somewhere so they couldn't  tell anyone.

But thats just my thoughts.
Last son of family Belmont.

https://thebelmonthold.home.blog/

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2018, 08:39:15 AM »
Regarding cover-ups in fiction, there's an interesting article written about it here:

http://www.springhole.net/writing/more-believable-coverups.htm

Especially this part:

There is no such thing as a foolproof cover-up.

In the words of Benjamin Franklin, three people can keep a secret... if two of them are dead.  The people involved in cover-ups are still individuals with their own motivations and ideals.  People get guilty consciences, or they decide there's something to be gained by coming forward to another party, or the stress of keeping a secret just gets to be too much.  People also get sloppy and make mistakes, and sometimes tying up each and every loose end is simply impossible.  And the more people that are involved in a cover-up, the higher the odds are that someone will slip up or spill the beans - and it potentially only takes one person to send the whole thing crashing down.  There have been  many instances of attempted cover-ups coming down thus.

A January 2016 paper published by Dr. David Robert Grimes shows just how fragile conspiracies and cover-ups really are, especially when large numbers of people are involved.  An article that sums up the results of the paper, along with a link to the paper itself, can be found here.  Grimes's numbers show that it's not a matter of if a conspiracy or cover-up gets exposed, but when - especially if you have hundreds or more people involved.

If I were to write an explanation for "how does the Church cover this all up?" I would have it involve as few people as possible and have the masquerade be self-sustaining for the most part.     

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2018, 09:42:53 AM »
Well if top heads of state know as well as top heads of the church, and disscrate \ silence  anyone who says  other wise and has proof.

A BIG thing we need to wonder is how big was the battle of 1999. was it  like the first ghostbuster film, monsters were attacking much more frequently, and then there was a huge attack on the world towards the end, like what happen to new York, and the counts castle is spook central.

Or is it more like  the whole of Transylvania/Wallachia is under attack?

And that whole region is unsafe, thus send in the army. But there no match, so governments are like "WTF"  at the same time  the church  have sent there men in to report back being like "yeah its monsters alright"

So all top brass call a round table meeting discuss ( I can see most heads of states not believing the crunch, being like "Monsters are Passé like ghost and goblin"

Untill one head of state is all like

"see here you lot, my granddad saw some weird shit in 1914, here's all the stuff about it I just happen to have on me for sake of
So all out attack force is sent to the count's castle and so on

I feel story two would be easer to cover up, if the monsters were only in Transylvania/Wallachia.
 But the first one would be a LOT harder, I think it could still be done, but still.
But I'm sure I have missed out some big plot points that make this all rubbish.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 11:13:10 AM by Guy Belmont »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2018, 09:59:54 AM »
i would say 1999 was big enough to pretty much break the secret and "normalize" the existence of the supernatural to most of the world--perhaps this explains why celia summons shit in a city in broad daylight and it's fine; maybe by that point in time people know about it enough that monsters running amok would be regarded not unlike a riot or localized terrorist attack today

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2018, 11:23:55 AM »
i would say 1999 was big enough to pretty much break the secret and "normalize" the existence of the supernatural to most of the world--perhaps this explains why celia summons shit in a city in broad daylight and it's fine; maybe by that point in time people know about it enough that monsters running amok would be regarded not unlike a riot or localized terrorist attack today

Yeah I know what your saying, I think its a shame cos I feel that the whole Dracula thing should be under raps and only a few know of it. there would be some who have herd of the legend of the Belmont's  fight against Dracula. and they would try to uncover it, sort like an investigative journalist, or some sort of Folklorist who is trying to uncover the legends.

But yeah,  and Soma seem to know who Dracula is as well,  I mean you could put that down to him just knowing the legends but  still, it does point to the fact that the battle of 1999 uncovered the whole thing.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2018, 07:11:39 PM »
Yeah I know what your saying, I think its a shame cos I feel that the whole Dracula thing should be under raps and only a few know of it. there would be some who have herd of the legend of the Belmont's  fight against Dracula. and they would try to uncover it, sort like an investigative journalist, or some sort of Folklorist who is trying to uncover the legends.

But yeah,  and Soma seem to know who Dracula is as well,  I mean you could put that down to him just knowing the legends but  still, it does point to the fact that the battle of 1999 uncovered the whole thing.

There could also be public knowledge due to Nostradamus' prophecy for 2035. The new age may have brought about a level of acceptance to the supernatural, including Graham and his amassed followers.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2018, 09:50:57 AM »
There could also be public knowledge due to Nostradamus' prophecy for 2035.

Yes and no. Nostradamus' works were always in code. He did this so as to avoid inviting unto himself unpleasant situations, such as heresy against the church which would lead him to be arrested and most likely exicuted. If this prophecy was released before the battle of 1999 then, like all of his the other prophecies, it could be interpreted in many different ways.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2018, 04:02:42 PM »
None if this changes that Graham amassed a cult following; a man who believed he was Dracula reincarnate
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards

That would be an interesting background setting to have. On the other hand, that doesn't really fit with what is implied between Graham and Soma's dialogue in AoS. (Graham asks if Soma believes in vampires and replies something like: "Isn't that just fiction?") Unless every supernatural creature except vampires are considered to be normal in Soma's world, but that would be weird.   

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
That would be an interesting background setting to have. On the other hand, that doesn't really fit with what is implied between Graham and Soma's dialogue in AoS. (Graham asks if Soma believes in vampires and replies something like: "Isn't that just fiction?") Unless every supernatural creature except vampires are considered to be normal in Soma's world, but that would be weird.   

Ohh great point I clean forgot about that, and looking back at AoS ,the whole feel  was sort of Good thing we managed to keep that huge evil thing secret, now we never have to worry aga.... oh no wait. 
If I where Konami id talk to IGA and ask him to  answer all these mysterys.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
You know, now that I think about it, it's only AoS that ever suggested there was ever any kind of masquerade in place. Most likely because Soma is the only protagonist who is supposed to be your average Joe-type of character. No other games (aside from some implications from the OoE) ever bothers to address this. Which is actually fine but I suppose that's why there are so many events in the series that are just impossible to keep under wraps. It simply wasn't a thing the story writers concerned themselves with.

Which brings me to the following thought: wouldn't it be easier to just say that in the CV universe there is a general awareness of the supernatural but it's still rare and nobody really knows much about it?  You don't want a setting where magic and monsters are completely normal because the history of the CV universe is still roughly parallel to our own. But perhaps it could be more along the lines: "Yeah, all these unbelievable things are real but it almost never impacts normal life, and almost no one can manipulate magic well enough to receive any kind of benefit from it, so people are fine with letting hunters take care of any supernatural threats." That way, you don't have to come up with some kind of contrived reason events like ghost castles materializing above London, etc. always manage to completely pass under the radar , while at the same time allowing a fantastical and a (relatively) relatable world to coexist.

I'm not sure it any other piece of media has a setting like that but it would make sense to apply it when a lot of blatant supernatural shenanigans occur in the story (like in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, for example), moreso than a masquerade.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
None if this changes that Graham amassed a cult following; a man who believed he was Dracula reincarnate

That's because Graham learned of the prophecy after 1999 as well as Dracula. But if he was born some time before 1999, I'd say he'd have quite a bit of trouble trying to figure out what it means, especially since the 1999 battle had not yet happened which exposes the truth about Dracula to the world.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
You know, now that I think about it, it's only AoS that ever suggested there was ever any kind of masquerade in place. Most likely because Soma is the only protagonist who is supposed to be your average Joe-type of character. No other games (aside from some implications from the OoE) ever bothers to address this. Which is actually fine but I suppose that's why there are so many events in the series that are just impossible to keep under wraps. It simply wasn't a thing the story writers concerned themselves with.

Which brings me to the following thought: wouldn't it be easier to just say that in the CV universe there is a general awareness of the supernatural but it's still rare and nobody really knows much about it?  You don't want a setting where magic and monsters are completely normal because the history of the CV universe is still roughly parallel to our own. But perhaps it could be more along the lines: "Yeah, all these unbelievable things are real but it almost never impacts normal life, and almost no one can manipulate magic well enough to receive any kind of benefit from it, so people are fine with letting hunters take care of any supernatural threats." That way, you don't have to come up with some kind of contrived reason events like ghost castles materializing above London, etc. always manage to completely pass under the radar , while at the same time allowing a fantastical and a (relatively) relatable world to coexist.

I'm not sure it any other piece of media has a setting like that but it would make sense to apply it when a lot of blatant supernatural shenanigans occur in the story (like in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, for example), moreso than a masquerade.

of course soma's your average joe, everyone else in the series is partially/fully supernatural and is usually raised knowing it--he wasn't

also

-ghostbusters
-penny dreadful
-hellsing until the third act
-plenty of other media

this is all but confirming that you really don't want to accept the idea of the church being involved in coverups

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Tags: