Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Help for my CV3 Hack?  (Read 3722 times)

Offline Bel

• Fiolina Lecarde
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« on: June 23, 2013, 06:28:50 PM »
I'm not a very hardcore hacker, but I have started working on a hack of Castlevania 3, and I would like to know if there is a way to give Alucard a new weapon, exclusive to him. I am thinking it could be a stronger and longer Dagger, with a shorter range, or maybe just a melee weapon, similar to Grant's Dagger (but longer).
Feedback and info is appreciated  :)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 09:02:16 PM »
If you are able to get any progress, you should find a way to make Alucard attack while on stairs.
There are some people here who have been able to get some headway on ROM Hacking but I'm not sure what amazing things they have been able to do with that game.

Good luck, though!
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Bel

• Fiolina Lecarde
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 12:40:44 AM »
 :o Omigod, it's you! I am honored to have you respond to my post; you are the one of the reasons I joined this forum, and I am a huge fan of your work. (CV2 Simon inspired me to start spriting)
Anyway, thanks for the advice!

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 05:33:45 AM »
Well it is his forum, so it makes sense for him to post in it...  :-\

Yes, you can give Alucard a sword. All you ahve to do is redirect his code to the same subroutine that handled Grants or Sypha's attacks (I wouldn't use Trevor's code). The range of his weapon would be denoted by a single byte. I dont' remember the ROM address for it, but it'd be pretty obvious once you decoded it. The issue with CV3 is Grant and Al have various codes that branch off or detour when the player has them active.

Making Al attack on stairs shouldn't be too hard. I think I encountered the code for it already, but just ignored it because I wasn't concerned with Al's code at the time. 
I take it back, it's not easy at all. Seems to be like a web. I thought if I rerouted the code to Sypha's then it would work, but it caused issues when jumping too and still wouldn't let Al attack. So it's not just a simple edit, it requires delving deeper into the code than just 2 or 3 redirects. And now that I think about it, I don't think Al even has a sprite for attacking on the stairs. That's probably why they made him unable to attack on stairs -- not enough memory in the PPU.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 06:33:29 AM by TheouAegis »
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 05:22:15 AM »
:o Omigod, it's you! I am honored to have you respond to my post; you are the one of the reasons I joined this forum, and I am a huge fan of your work. (CV2 Simon inspired me to start spriting)
Anyway, thanks for the advice!

Thanks... but I'm just a guy, no need to be so honored, hehe.
I'm happy to have inspired you, however.

So as you can see, people like TheouAegis have experience with this sort of thing. 
Good luck to you!
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Tags: