Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Hardest Castlevania Game  (Read 31765 times)

Offline CrashDiary27

• Hunter in Training
  • game over
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 07:29:52 PM »
This is a newbie thread.
Next, there will be a 'what is the easiest', 'what is the prettiest', 'which one has the best music', and the dreadful 'what is your favorite'.

And you know what the deal is with that kind of thread.

Plus, everyone knows it's Haunted Castle.

maybe a section for newbie talk can be created? Us new folks like to talk of such things. Just a idea.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 07:46:25 PM »
+3
Next, there will be a 'what is the easiest', 'what is the prettiest', 'which one has the best music', and the dreadful 'what is your favorite'.

Symphony of the Night, Lords of Shadow, Symphony of the Night, Symphony of the Night

(Honorable mention to Super Castlevania IV on the music though. Close call.)

THREADS OVER

Offline MKKhanzo

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 12:10:28 PM »
HAUNTED CASTLE

Thread over.

This by far.

I should do "honorable" mentions:

The Adventure GB but I managed to finish it without even killing myself one live

OoE is almost Contra 4 hard, but you can handle it

CotM was kind of hard
I guess that all IGA haters are rejoicing now. Have fun with your fancy Belmont Dracula and rat stealth.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 11:39:36 AM »
The hardest game for me is Vampire Killer, it's the only one I haven't beaten and the farthest I've gotten is level 2.
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline Johnny Alucard

• Vampire Hunter
  • Shanoa x Monica OTP
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 03:45:11 PM »
+1
OoE is almost Contra 4 hard

And then you play Lv. 1 Hard Albus mode and it becomes Contra 4.

Offline DrLight66

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 03:46:14 PM »
I used to think when i was a kid that the original Castlevania was impossible to beat, and now i can occassionally beat it without dying once lol.

The only Castlevania game i've played that i never beat was Dracula X, but that's probably because i find the game to be so boring to play through that i never really played it enough to get good at it.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 03:49:02 PM »
And then you play Lv. 1 Hard Albus mode and it becomes Contra 4.
Except you can't aim. Better start abusing those invincibility frames.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 03:50:53 PM by VladCT »
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline vyck_st.judas

• Hunter in Training
  • Chillin' at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 09:46:43 PM »
 First place goes to "Haunted Castle". Just not on any "good" merits. The slaggy controls and bad collision detection make an improbable game, GAME-BREAKINGLY IMPOSSIBLE when you couple it with what really feels like dartboard enemy grouping. Bob F'n Ross (the dead afro painter) could have spawned the enemies better. A happy skeleton here, a wistful zombie there, Let's put this mean old tree over here, isn't it delightful? No Bob. Just... no. The art style can only be described as something you can NEVER un-see. I'm guilty of playing this atrocity through solely for it's one good point. The Music. Which to be honest, is not the best quality ever, but that's only a tech flaw of the board. The composition had me brute force my way on through for the next Eargasm time and again... until i found mp3's of the soundtrack. Now I delete this "steaming pile of disdain" (which is what it should be called if they ever re-release it as an actual CV chronicles title. ) from every iteration of MAME i ever get my hands on.

Second place goes to "Belmont's Revenge." That game was Over-Dose hard at certain points. It's everything "Haunted Castle" could have been, but failed to accomplish. Even if the art style remained the same. When I was a kid I would've dropped gobs of soggy, palm sweat soaked, quarters into that cabinet. I'd have come back home with dirty laundry, said I got robbed, and ate the ass whoopin' I had guaranteed myself. My grandma was a sweet, but very perceptive old lady. She knew exactly how to handle that line when Capcom's "Magic Sword" came out. In hindsight, I don't think I've ever been so tan... I miss her.

Offline vyck_st.judas

• Hunter in Training
  • Chillin' at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 09:53:39 PM »
Also MAD LOL! at Albus mode/Contra 4. OD!  ;D
"Wayforward" would have made an excellent Castlevania game. Play their games. There's a Metrovania nod in each, and they're all Beautifully drawn and Contra 4 hard. Except Monster Tale. That one's the exception, difficulty wise. They also made the only Thor game ever worth playing.

Offline Jbetbrice

• Hunter in Training
  • Have At You !
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 01:06:41 AM »
Castlevania 2 has traumatized me during my chilhood for his difficulty ^_^

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 05:16:47 AM »
Castlevania 2 has traumatized me during my chilhood for his difficulty ^_^
It traumatized me because it was so badly done because of the limitations, the hints system there fucking sucks. Besides that, it's an okay game.

Outside Haunted Castle, I think CV3 is the most difficult.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2012, 12:35:09 AM »
I have Haunted Castle on PS2, the game till this day still pimp slaps me when I pull it out to play. Vampire Killer is not easy either with how random it can feel to a new player.

Offline Sul_Yong

• Hunter in Training
  • Go ahead and laugh, this world's terrible enough.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2012, 07:32:17 PM »
I am actually still having a hard time with the original mode on Castlevania Chronicles... it's not terribly difficult, but I haven't played Haunted Castle yet, so Chronicles remains the hardest for me...

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2012, 07:44:44 PM »
I am actually still having a hard time with the original mode on Castlevania Chronicles... it's not terribly difficult, but I haven't played Haunted Castle yet, so Chronicles remains the hardest for me...

Last time I checked if you put nomis/NOMIS(cannot remember if it was lower or upper case) on arrange mode something  happens. It's been awhile since I played it.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline KyleVoakes

• Hunter in Training
  • Suffering Like G Did?
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2012, 02:41:16 PM »
So far, the hardest Castlevania game I've beaten was Castlevania 3. That game took me a solid 5 hours to complete. No emulator, actually finished in one sitting. Recently, I got through SCV4 in around 1-2 hours, but never did I get my ass kicked as much as CV3. Sure, PoR and AoS took longer, but those aren't "difficult" due to the leveling up mechanic. Skill and memorization is what got me through CV3, Contra-Style!

Tags:

anything