Poll

Which do you prefer, even if only slightly? Expand upon your choice in the comments or remain anonymous.

ClassicVania
20 (33.9%)
MetroidVania
6 (10.2%)
I really enjoy them both equally.
31 (52.5%)
3Dvania
0 (0%)
3Dvania (Specify IGA or Cox era)
2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The Big Question: ClassicVania or MetroidVania  (Read 22079 times)

Offline Beaumont_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Haunted Pixels
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Re: The Big Question: ClassicVania or MetroidVania
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2012, 03:32:22 PM »
I like both, but I usually fall on the side of Classicvania. Part of this is because I feel the Metroidvanias failed to evolve much. Where most of the Classicvanias tried something fresh with each new outing- Simon's Quest experimented with RPG elements and open exploration, Dracula's Curse had 3 characters and branching paths, etc, Symphony was kind of the zenith of the Metroidvania style, and the later ones tended to be (while still good) rather pale imitations aiming to ape its success.

As for 3D 'Vanias...I like the N64 games, even though they have their flaws. I enjoyed playing LoI. Never played CoD, and didn't really enjoy LoS.
He's back! The man behind the mask!

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2013, 07:12:19 AM »
grab a whip and go style works for me so im going to say classic!

Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2013, 04:24:37 AM »
Any vania as long as it is not 3d.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2013, 09:18:40 PM »
The Metroidvanias had some fun enemies (excluding Simon's Quest). But I guess maybe that falls under Igavania. The first time I saw a Skeleton Waiter I died laughing. And after a while Student Witch grew on me. And who can forget using Persephone's soul power on herself?  :P

But god, they're so damned boring and repetitive and usually pretty damned easy.

So still loving the Classicvania.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Hellhammer

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2013, 02:03:42 AM »
I've always preferred Classicvania; I have SotN and the GBA trilogy but none of them have seen much play at all. I guess a lot of it is down to nostalgia. The image of Simon Belmont thrashing the hell out of haunted suits of armour and dodging those infernal Medusa heads in CV1 will forever be burned into my brain. I will always see Belmonts as badass barbarian-type warriors - I personally hate the anime-style artwork in the Metroidvanias, although the gameplay can be just as much fun as Classicvania games, I will admit, I can't seem to get past the reVamped (see what I did there?) art style because to me Castlevania has always been about more than just gameplay - what drew me to the series first and foremost was the atmosphere (especially in the first three games) and that's what makes CV so special to me.

I do acknowledge that the series most probably did need to evolve in order to survive this long, but I will always be waiting with baited breath for the next Castlevania to be the one that recaptures that atmosphere of the first three. I had high hopes for Lords Of Shadow, and although it was an awesome game in it's own right, there were only a precious few hints that I was actually playing a Castlevania game (the best of which was hearing "Vampire Killer" in the music box level).

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2013, 10:51:04 AM »
I do acknowledge that the series most probably did need to evolve in order to survive this long, but I will always be waiting with baited breath for the next Castlevania to be the one that recaptures that atmosphere of the first three. I had high hopes for Lords Of Shadow, and although it was an awesome game in it's own right, there were only a precious few hints that I was actually playing a Castlevania game (the best of which was hearing "Vampire Killer" in the music box level).

I love both styles, the goofiness of the old art has a special place in my heart, but Ayami Kojima's work is hauntingly beautiful. Sadly I don't think we're likely to see another series game in the vein of the first 3 or Kojima style again. :(

But particularly when it comes to the first 3, the atmosphere and art of those those games is so much a product of the time. Back when horror movies from the 30s and 40s were still relevant to the popular culture at large* and long haired 80's style barbarians weren't such a thing of the past. I think at this point the best chance to see games with this same feel would be to watch the Indie game scene.

*Largely thanks to the TV tradition of playing these old movies late at night from the 50s to the late 80s, something that basically died with the rise of infomercials. At least this is how these films stayed widely viewed and relevant in America. Whether a similar setup was the case in Japan, with the popularity of the Hammer remakes reigniting interest in the originals, or simply the monster mash movies continued relevance in the states "rubbing off" on Japanese culture I couldn't say.

Offline PyramidHead

• Vampire Hunter
  • Don't look into the Death Star, or you will die.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2013, 11:37:38 AM »
+1
I can't say for sure.. I like almost all Castlevanias for many different reasons. My all-time favorites are Simon's Quest and Order of Ecclesia. But I wouldn't call SQ "MetroidVania". The game is unique in the series. Neither classic, nor metroid-like (but, of course, it has elements of both). The same goes for "Vampire Killer" (MSX).
My choice is "I really enjoy them both equally.". Also 3dVanias. Especially Legacy of Darkness on Nintendo 64. 4 different scenarios! Dracula who can easily destroy your mind, using all of his attacks at once. And who can forget the "Nitro level"?! There is only one word to describe this madness - awesome! :)

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2013, 03:06:10 PM »
I said both since there wasn't an option for Classicvania and N64-vania.  :P Though a nice Metroidvania is good on the side as well.

Offline Hellhammer

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2013, 06:00:53 AM »
I love both styles, the goofiness of the old art has a special place in my heart, but Ayami Kojima's work is hauntingly beautiful. Sadly I don't think we're likely to see another series game in the vein of the first 3 or Kojima style again. :(

But particularly when it comes to the first 3, the atmosphere and art of those those games is so much a product of the time. Back when horror movies from the 30s and 40s were still relevant to the popular culture at large* and long haired 80's style barbarians weren't such a thing of the past. I think at this point the best chance to see games with this same feel would be to watch the Indie game scene.

*Largely thanks to the TV tradition of playing these old movies late at night from the 50s to the late 80s, something that basically died with the rise of infomercials. At least this is how these films stayed widely viewed and relevant in America. Whether a similar setup was the case in Japan, with the popularity of the Hammer remakes reigniting interest in the originals, or simply the monster mash movies continued relevance in the states "rubbing off" on Japanese culture I couldn't say.

I think that, sadly, you are right. I also doubt whether we will ever see anything in the style of CV 1-3 (I'd include IV as well) - it really is wishful thinking on my part :)
I would say that artwork-wise, Lords Of Shadow was a huge step in the "right" (in my opinion) direction. It looks a lot more like the Castlevania I grew up obsessing about (i.e. it doesn't look like Manga) but doesn't feel like much like Castlevania.

I am kind of stuck in the 80's though, all of my favourite music is 80's Metal, so maybe that explains it...haha

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2013, 06:16:33 PM »
Though I enjoy all the games from CV1 to OoE, I'll go with MetroidVania, since it defines everything I love in a game or in general.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2013, 08:07:30 AM »
I like all of them, prefering a 2D gameplay. I like the 3D ones too, but I didnt played them too much.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Skycaptain Steampunk

• Hunter in Training
  • "Eu sunt Dracul!"
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2013, 12:33:50 AM »
Lords of shadows.

Tags:

anything