Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: So... who IS the strongest Belmont?  (Read 17616 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« on: January 11, 2013, 01:51:41 PM »
I don't know if there is a canon explanation for this, but I've been wondering about it lately. It has been stated in games featuring them that both Richter and Julius are supreme amongst vampire hunters, but this is the kind of statement that could be talking specifically about the time in which they lived. They were supreme during their lives, but how do they stack up in comparison to their descendants and forebears?

To my mind, it seems the only way to accurately judge this is to see how well each one fared against Dracula. Since the only foolproof barometer of this I can think of is how often they fought him, this really only leaves Simon and Christopher up for consideration. Both defeated Dracula twice, and they did it alone both times. Personally (and part of this could be my bias against The Castlevania Adventure showing) I'm inclined to believe Simon is stronger because he was able to travel vast distances to assemble Drac's bodyparts, and then defeat Dracula, all while he was dying from the curse.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 01:53:20 PM by Ratty »

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 01:58:52 PM »
I know the American SotN manual says each generation of Belmonts is stronger than the one that came before it. It's a bit of a simplistic way to look at things, but that's how it works apperently.

So possible candidates are Julius or if the description from Otomedius Excellent is true, his daughter (or sister, it's left ambigious on purpose), Kokoro.  :P
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 02:24:04 PM by Nagumo »

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 02:22:09 PM »
+5
There was only 1 Belmont that had the ability to literally rip pieces off the castle when he performed Grand Cross.

DEBATE OVER

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 04:43:34 PM »
I know the American SotN manual says each generation of Belmonts is stronger than the one that came before it. It's a bit of a simplistic way to look at things, but that's how it works apperently.

So possible candidates are Julius or if the description from Otomedius Excellent is true, his daughter (or sister, it's left ambigious on purpose), Kokoro.  :P

Huh, interesting. It's been a few years since I played SOTN so not surprising I forgot that part in the manual. I'd be interested to know if the Japanese manual says the same.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 07:27:34 PM »
I always assumed Julius was the strongest.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 07:31:35 PM »
His description also says he's the most powerful of all vampire hunters.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 07:40:37 PM »
There was only 1 Belmont that had the ability to literally rip pieces off the castle when he performed Grand Cross.

DEBATE OVER
/thread
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 11:12:13 AM »
It seems that both Richter and Julius are the strongest that the Belmont clan has produced. But yeah, in AoS Julius uses his Grand cross on Soma and just rips apart the underside of Castlevania. However he seemed far weaker in DoS.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
Storywise, because he's in his 50's, past his prime. (He even comments on getting old after he tires himself out grand Crossing the seal on the catacombs) gameplawise, they had to water him down so He wouldnt be broken like in AoS
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 11:29:28 AM »
Even then, he's still powerful enough to destroy the bosses in DoS without magic seals even though Soma comments it should be impossible.

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 12:21:06 PM »
+1
I don't think we know enough about Julius to truly decide, and I know AoS says that Julius is the strongest Belmont, but if I HAD to answer who I think is the strongest, I would choose Richter. However, if I was a vampire, I wouldn't want to get on any of the Belmonts' bad sides.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 12:22:43 PM by Thomas Belmont »

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 12:54:46 PM »
+1
Also, isn't Richter the only Belmont to use the Vampire Killer at maximum capacity? Every time he has been shown wielding it, it has never been anything but the chain whip.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 02:02:13 PM »
Also, isn't Richter the only Belmont to use the Vampire Killer at maximum capacity? Every time he has been shown wielding it, it has never been anything but the chain whip.

This is true.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 08:45:15 PM »
But yeah, in AoS Julius uses his Grand cross on Soma and just rips apart the underside of Castlevania. However he seemed far weaker in DoS.

And this was with him HOLDING BACK against Soma, in his FIFTIES I must remind us all. Grand Cross'ing in his prime must have looked like an atomic bomb going off. Yeah that's it; he Grand Crossed SO hard he launcged the castle into an eclipse!!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 08:49:38 PM by Phoenix7786 »
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 03:50:34 AM »
And this was with him HOLDING BACK against Soma, in his FIFTIES I must remind us all. Grand Cross'ing in his prime must have looked like an atomic bomb going off. Yeah that's it; he Grand Crossed SO hard he launcged the castle into an eclipse!!

Aaaah.... I could totally imagine that. Someone should make a sprite animation out of that idea!  ;D

Tags: