Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The Dark Knight - What'd ya think?!  (Read 8213 times)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« on: July 18, 2008, 10:24:00 AM »
I catched the midnight showing last night, and I never seen a movie theatre so packed out! My friends and I were lucky to find seats (even though we had to split up), but it was a mobfest.

I'm not gonna give any spoilers since some of you have yet to see it, but I'll just say the Joker makes it all worth it! Definately an awesome performance. Aaron Eckhart did a great Harvey as well. At some points during the movie I got kinda confused as to what was going on, but all the issues were resolved eventually. There's a lot of mayhem, did I mention the Joker is buckwild :o I'll give my full review later!

Oh yeah, I want a Batpod  :P

Offline MDI

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 07:58:45 PM »
I was a tad confused for the like first 20 minutes of the movie.

BUT

Once it started progressing...man, I have to say, one of the best films I've ever seen...and I hate it when people say that, but this is one of the few times I'll ever say it.

-Joker was insane, and frightening, as was other things...
-The drama was really intense, I never thought I'd see Batman so pissed and on the edge of killing someone.
-Lt.Gordon kicked ass
-Maggie Gyllynhall (Wrong SP, I don't care) wasn't as fugly as she usually is.
-Great fucking fight scenes
-Batpod was actually really cool
-There was no cheesiness in the film, and for the few jokes that were made it was actually funny.
-There was nothing in the movie that made me go, "Well...they should have done it this way.."
-My standards for comic-book films has greatly increased overall.
:)

Offline Slayer

• The Prince of a town called Bel-Air
  • Master Hunter
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 08:16:57 PM »
This movie is not just a great superhero film, but a work of superb crime-drama that only the best of Hollywood is capable of crafting.  The acting is top-notch, especially Heath Ledger's interpretation of the Joker.  Additionally, the soundtrack successfully drives your emotions with its unrelenting percussion and dark tone, and the attention to detail throughout the whole movie is truly mesmerizing; I often forgot Gotham City was a town of fiction, since the setting looks so damn convincing. 
If you see one movie this summer, make this it.  While I can't say it is my favorite film of all time--a spot tied between Goodfellas and Pulp Fiction--I will say that it is without a doubt in my top ten.
----------------------------------------------
Tetris world record, set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 08:25:54 PM »
In Reply To #3

Loved the movie, loved it lots.  Seriously, it's awesome.

There was a guy dressed up as the Joker and actually resembled him a lot (was a little stockier than Ledger) and when he got there all dolled up in the makeup and got in the theatre...

...the AMC staff asked him to leave the theatre...
...for PICTURES!

hah hah hah

When he walked out from the front, he got a round of applause from the crowd.  He made it back in later before the movie started.

You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Slayer

• Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 08:50:59 PM »
I went to an AMC theatre also, and there were a couple of people dressed up as the Joker.  Three guys in our theatre actually got a round of applause.  Some dressed like the comic book, others like Heath, so on.

Offline Evil_Kitty

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: The Dark Knight - What'd ya think?!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 09:07:42 PM »
In Reply To #1

I loved it but I still liked somethings about the first one more. It's hard to explain but each film holds its own which is almost unheard of with sequels where they suually flop or completely butcher it's predesor.

Many parts had me chilled but I found it hard to get into the same magic that the first one ignited simply because I was expected this to be better than the last. However, it's a better film than Begins. The script is brilliant and so clever, and the Joker...you know what I'm not even going to add to the hype! So go with as few expectations as possible. It'll catch you off guard so many times.

It's brilliant and I loved how these films transend the typical comic movies and go deeper. They really got into the whole importance of myth and heroes.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 09:17:36 PM »
Absolutely amazing! Two Face looked great, he's my fav Batman villain and I'm glad they did an awesome job with him.
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline MDI

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 03:54:29 AM »
Absolutely amazing! Two Face looked great, he's my fav Batman villain and I'm glad they did an awesome job with him.

I think I'm going to have nightmares for many months to come after seeing that Two-Face.

(Not to mention Joker as a nurse).

Offline Evil_Kitty

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 07:17:40 AM »

(Not to mention Joker as a nurse).

lol, so funny, some things the Joker did reminded me of the Joker from the Animated Series.

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 08:58:21 AM »
This flick is my second favorite of all time --comes very close to Return of the King, actually...

The movie just f*cks with you --Let's face it there's alot of superhero movie cliches that could've screwed the film over...  But everytime you think you know what's gonna happen next --you're either wrong or --you're right in the wrong way.  Ledger's Joker dominates the narrative.

With that said, I do have a couple small gripes.

1. ALOT of the music sounded tracked straight from Batman Begins --aside from the Joker's theme, there's very little fresh material.

2.  The setting was not consistent with the first film.  Gotham looks and feels very different --the change left me a little sour the first 20 minutes or so...

Offline MDI

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 01:26:30 PM »
This flick is my second favorite of all time --comes very close to Return of the King, actually...

The movie just f*cks with you --Let's face it there's alot of superhero movie cliches that could've screwed the film over...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 02:54:48 PM by Michael David Ivanoff »

Offline Blue Cheese

• SO DAMNED GOOD
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 04:19:17 AM »
Whith a movie so well made and polished like this, the little, stupid things that bug me stand out even though they don't detract a damn bit from the awesome.
I hated Two Face's messed up side. It'd not that I wan't it to be purple or green or anything, but it seemed a bit TOO (two...heh) messed up. Almost zombie-like.
And then Bale's put on voice for Batman was a little too put on. Sometimes I couldn't even understand waht he was saying. "GROWLGROWL GROWL hero GROWL Gotham GROWL"

Stupid nit picks but when the acting and story is not an issue then that's all that's left.

Offline Evil_Kitty

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 05:16:20 PM »
In Reply To #10

Yeah Gothem city's atmosphere was kind of dissappointing since that was one of the elements that made me love the first one BUT think about this, they're showing a different side of gothem by spending time on the political and business side.

My biggest issue is who can possible will the shoes for the next great villian. The Joker, Two Face, and Ras Al Ghoul(spelling?)are some of his biggest foes. But I have faith in the Nolan camp.

Offline Slayer

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 10:19:15 PM »
In Reply To #10

Yeah Gothem city's atmosphere was kind of dissappointing since that was one of the elements that made me love the first one BUT think about this, they're showing a different side of gothem by spending time on the political and business side.

My biggest issue is who can possible will the shoes for the next great villian. The Joker, Two Face, and Ras Al Ghoul(spelling?)are some of his biggest foes. But I have faith in the Nolan camp.

It wasn't necessarily stated that Two-Face died, and if they wanted to, Ras Al Ghoul can be put in another film, at least according to comic book canon (which they may or may not follow...these movies seem to be taking a more realistic approach.)
On the other hand, I don't see how they could make another film with someone acting as the joker, unless enough time passed in the (supposed) series of movies that new cast members would be needed to replace the old...

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 05:38:57 PM »
Just got through seeing it, the pacing at times can be a little slow, but the actors did a fine job with their parts, including some of the minor characters in the movie. Not a part was acted stiffly, was really well done.

Tags: