Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Legends - Transfusion  (Read 5424 times)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« on: March 05, 2023, 08:28:23 PM »
After a hiatus of literally years due to a career change, for the new year I been working on a remake of the 1997 Gameboy title in my spare time.

it is still in Alpha build, but the whole 1st stage mapped out in engine as well as various menu screens and title screen.

This game is going to be more of an arranged version of the original game with the player having the ability to find Hidden Relics that will unlock additional powers of Sonia Belmont to aid in her fight against evil.

While an action title this game will play akin more to the classic Metrovania exploration of the more recent Castlevania titles.

I am opening this thread for feedback, suggestions for improvements over the original title etc. I actually never played this one. I probably should do that. I have only been watching playthroughs. :D

Highlights:

Character Jump through platforms.

Small Heart = 1
Big Heart = 5
Queen Heart = 50
King Heart = 99

Large Meat = Large Life Refill
Sake = Medium Life Refill
Cheesecake = Small Life Refill

Spike damage to player with kickback

Holy Cross Pickup to inventory

Timer ends enables death
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 10:18:56 AM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 11:33:45 PM »
Looks good so far. Did you make the Sonia sprite or is it someone else's? It seems familiar for some reason.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 01:13:30 AM »
Speaking of menu screens, will it feature full customize option for controller and keyboard?

I noticed the angle of knockdown motion is a bit unnatural. Is the knock down motion still in adjustment?
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 05:52:59 AM »
Speaking of menu screens, will it feature full customize option for controller and keyboard?

I noticed the angle of knockdown motion is a bit unnatural. Is the knock down motion still in adjustment?

Everything is still in adjustment. It is only in Alpha.

I will start with a keyboard layout first and then see what is the best for controller options.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 05:53:55 AM »
Looks good so far. Did you make the Sonia sprite or is it someone else's? It seems familiar for some reason.
That sprite was made by Serio and open-sourced back in the day.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2023, 09:10:59 AM »
Looks good for an alpha-build test.

The one thing about Legends that always bothered me was the length of Sonia's whip. It's too damned short. What was Konami thinking when they did that? In terms of play-style she's no different then Christopher. Both end up with the fire whip after getting all upgrades, but in Sonia's case they skipped one upgrade and just gave her two: short morning star, (forget the length upgrade), fire whip. There was no excuse for them to do that.

darkmanx_429@: Think you can what Konami didn't and Sonia some long overdue justice and giver her a Vampirekiller whip with proper length?  :)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2023, 09:20:49 AM »
Looks good for an alpha-build test.

The one thing about Legends that always bothered me was the length of Sonia's whip. It's too damned short. What was Konami thinking when they did that? In terms of play-style she's no different then Christopher. Both end up with the fire whip after getting all upgrades, but in Sonia's case they skipped one upgrade and just gave her two: short morning star, (forget the length upgrade), fire whip. There was no excuse for them to do that.

darkmanx_429@: Think you can what Konami didn't and Sonia some long overdue justice and giver her a Vampirekiller whip with proper length?  :)

Yes, it will be a proper length whip and I am debating if there will  be no "collectable" whip powerups that will force the player to constantly upgrade and downgrade their whip. I may leave it in though. It's a classic Vania troupe.

The fire whip ability will be in a form of a Hidden Relic and it won't be the only hidden relic that will give the player additional abilities.

UPDATE:

Character Highlights:

Double Tap in either direction to Run for short distances to cover more ground however you cannot jump during running. It also prevents spamming the run.

Stage Intro with character added.

By sitting idle with the character for a short while it will play a special idle animation and then reset.

Timer end enables death animation.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 09:15:32 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2023, 05:38:26 PM »
Timer end enables death animation.

Another classicvania trope  ;D  Or it was until RoB came out then they just dropped the stage timer indefinitely. Not that it was a big loss to the series in any real way (at least for me).
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2023, 02:59:59 AM »
Another classicvania trope  ;D  Or it was until RoB came out then they just dropped the stage timer indefinitely. Not that it was a big loss to the series in any real way (at least for me).
That is actually a really good question that I probably will research.
The timer gives a since of urgency I think to the player especially we the fact that the levels in my version are set up for more exploration unlike the original version.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2023, 08:48:04 AM »
The timer gives a since of urgency I think to the player especially we the fact that the levels in my version are set up for more exploration unlike the original version.

So.. kinda like the 1987 MSX Vampirekiller game?

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2023, 05:06:40 PM »
So.. kinda like the 1987 MSX Vampirekiller game?

Did that version have a timer? I just remember only the NES port had the timer.

One thing is I brought back from that game is key's. Mainly for hidden stuff.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2023, 08:57:53 AM »
No it doesn't, I just checked. But everything else you mentioned had me thinking about that game. So I am curious as to how it'll turn out (with a timer).

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2023, 07:04:20 PM »

UPDATES:

Splash screens added
Title screen addition
Menu Options
Prologue
Map screen
Export to gameplay

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2023, 12:36:34 PM »
I am opening this thread for feedback, suggestions for improvements over the original title etc. I actually never played this one. I probably should do that. I have only been watching playthroughs. :D

Cheers to you getting back in The Game, so to speak.  I would strongly recommend you play Legends to get a feel for how trash it was (>)) compared to what came before, that way you can better calibrate your sense of how much ass your efforts will actually be kicking. 8)

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2023, 10:42:44 PM »
my biggest suggestion would be to have the camera snap directly to the player, or even move in front of it, instead of lagging behind Sonia like that. that kind of camera movement can make precise platforming very tricky.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Tags:

anything