Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Tomorrow is Yom Kippur (judgment day)  (Read 7576 times)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« on: September 21, 2007, 01:50:03 AM »
Actually, it's today in the evening, Yom Kippur is a day when, according to the Jewish belief, God judges each and every person according to the things he did in the previous year, and decides his fate in the next year- to life or death.

It's a Jewish tradition to ask every person's forgiveness before the holiday, every person that you may have harmed through the passing year, purposely or unawarely.

So I would like to ask every person in this community whom I harmed during this year to forgive me, and recommend you to do so as well, from every person you know, this tradition is beyond religion and has a high human, moral value to make up with any person you had an argument with in the past.

So I wish you all gemar hatima tove (a good registration at the Beyonds) ;)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 01:52:41 AM by Freddy Krueger »
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline DarkLavos

• I Cut Throat
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Tomorrow is Yom Kippur (judgment day)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 04:42:22 AM »
so this is what Yom kippur is, I saw this on my calendar and wondered what was it. Thanks for the info.

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 09:16:03 AM »
I'm an atheist so any forgiving I give to others isn't based on spiritual beliefs, but I'm not gonna go all RAWR RELIGION on you if you give such forgiveness to me based on religion. Nice thought, helps you get through the day. :3

Although thanks for clearing up what Yom Kippur is. Never quite learned what that is.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 11:06:52 AM »

Offline Oralox

• BANNED
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 01:05:01 PM »

Offline ProtoBelmont

• is not a newbie
  • Hunter in Training
  • I am the voice inside your head
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 06:22:42 PM »
I'm atheist too! >_> I probably should get into religion, but meh, I'm lazy. (I know, poor excuse.) : P

But, I would like to receive forgiveness from this b*tch whom is plaguing my social life at this moment, for no reason. Y'know those malevolent type of girls who like to ruin nice guys.

*Goes back to listening to Ruiner*

Offline Think Tank

• usually posts while intoxicated
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 07:23:43 PM »
In reply to #1:

Happy YK2K7! And thanks for the info... and thanks for asking for forgiveness. I shall let you have it, this time.

God judges each and every person according to the things he did in the previous year, and decides his fate in the next year- to life or death.

Do you believe this is truth, or do you celebrate out of respect for tradition? Because if someone truly believed that,  then went out and murdered 30 schoolchildren, and they didn't get struck down by God the following year, then you would have to aknowlege that God is cool with something like that.

Offline Blue Cheese

• SO DAMNED GOOD
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 08:15:09 PM »
I'd forgive UltraOralox if he ever made an actual reply!

For real though, funny how many
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 04:21:34 AM by Blue Cheese »

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 11:49:39 PM »
I'm atheist too! >_> I probably should get into religion, but meh, I'm lazy. (I know, poor excuse.) : P

You know all those old guys who have been atheists of their lives, but then, when realizing they are really old and are about to die soon, get into a religion? Yeah :P I think it's a lot more difficult to believe that nothing is waiting for you after death, whether if it's another world or another incarnation, it's easier to believe that SOMETHING is waiting for you after you die except grave-worms.

In reply to #1:

Happy YK2K7! And thanks for the info... and thanks for asking for forgiveness. I shall let you have it, this time.

Do you believe this is truth, or do you celebrate out of respect for tradition? Because if someone truly believed that,  then went out and murdered 30 schoolchildren, and they didn't get struck down by God the following year, then you would have to acknowledge that God is cool with something like that.

Ah! It's not happy.  :( It's a terrible day for Jews, which they fear the whole year. It's a day of fast, throughout which religious Jews do not eat or drink, and spend the day at the Synagogue, praying. That is one of the reasons the Alliance of Arab States decided to start a war with Israel, on that very day, in 1973.
I am not a religious Jew, but yes, I do fast out of tradition and respect to my brothers.
Ah! I cannot answer your question because I am not a rabbi or something. But I can say, that this kind of question belongs to one of the most important philosophical topics in religion:
"Why do righteous people suffer, while villains live well?"
It's a very logical question to ask. How come a good person who helps others, works hard, follows the law (pays the taxes, lol), and loves God, may have a life of suffering and bad luck, while evil people who kill, rape, steal (or even as said in the bible, rob widows and have no mercy on orphans), may be rich, live a long and satisfying life?
Probably the only answer that could be is "every dog has it's day". (like in the Eichmann trial.)
There is a book about this question in the Bible, called "Jov". In my opinion, it's more a fairy-tale about this philosophical question than a story of a real person.
It's about a wealthy person who has a happy life, children and everything a man could wish for, and loves God very much and always thanks him for anything he has. One day, God has a chat with Satan, and tells him of this person, Jov, how much he loves him and is loyal to him. Satan than argues God, saying that if Jov wasn't so wealthy and lucky, he wouldn't be as loyal to God. God disbelieves him, claiming that even without all of that, he would still stay loyal to him, and gives Satan permission to test Jov.
Satan than proceeds to step by step, break Jov's spirit. He takes all his money away from him, kills his children, and gives him a terrible sickness, but Jov, even though his spirit was broken and he curses the day he was born, still believes that "What God gave, God has taken away", and remains loyal to him.

Personally, I don't think this story answers the question. But hey, nice story nevertheless
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 11:52:10 PM by Freddy Krueger »
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 10:59:02 AM »
In Reply To #9
Believing in something because you're scared of the alternative is RETARDED.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

mgfcortez

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 12:03:07 PM »
You know all those old guys who have been atheists of their lives, but then, when realizing they are really old and are about to die soon, get into a religion? Yeah :P I think it's a lot more difficult to believe that nothing is waiting for you after death, whether if it's another world or another incarnation, it's easier to believe that SOMETHING is waiting for you after you die except grave-worms.

Ah! It's not happy.  :( It's a terrible day for Jews, which they fear the whole year. It's a day of fast, throughout which religious Jews do not eat or drink, and spend the day at the Synagogue, praying. That is one of the reasons the Alliance of Arab States decided to start a war with Israel, on that very day, in 1973.
I am not a religious Jew, but yes, I do fast out of tradition and respect to my brothers.
Ah! I cannot answer your question because I am not a rabbi or something. But I can say, that this kind of question belongs to one of the most important philosophical topics in religion:
"Why do righteous people suffer, while villains live well?"
It's a very logical question to ask. How come a good person who helps others, works hard, follows the law (pays the taxes, lol), and loves God, may have a life of suffering and bad luck, while evil people who kill, rape, steal (or even as said in the bible, rob widows and have no mercy on orphans), may be rich, live a long and satisfying life?
Probably the only answer that could be is "every dog has it's day". (like in the Eichmann trial.)
There is a book about this question in the Bible, called "Jov". In my opinion, it's more a fairy-tale about this philosophical question than a story of a real person.
It's about a wealthy person who has a happy life, children and everything a man could wish for, and loves God very much and always thanks him for anything he has. One day, God has a chat with Satan, and tells him of this person, Jov, how much he loves him and is loyal to him. Satan than argues God, saying that if Jov wasn't so wealthy and lucky, he wouldn't be as loyal to God. God disbelieves him, claiming that even without all of that, he would still stay loyal to him, and gives Satan permission to test Jov.
Satan than proceeds to step by step, break Jov's spirit. He takes all his money away from him, kills his children, and gives him a terrible sickness, but Jov, even though his spirit was broken and he curses the day he was born, still believes that "What God gave, God has taken away", and remains loyal to him.

Personally, I don't think this story answers the question. But hey, nice story nevertheless

well it saids in the bible why can't remember the chapter but.
it's because the good ppl have an after life wile the bad ppl only have there time here now until there destroyed.
but i'm a Christian and love God and do right because i want to and out of love for him.
i don't fear God and i'm with Jerk of wonder on that it is very dumb to do something out of fear.
because God only wants your love.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 03:04:07 PM »
Out of curiosity, Freddy, you say you're not religious, but do you believe in God? :o You don't seem to be an atheist to me :o

Pardon my intrusiveness, of course.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 03:40:37 PM »
Out of curiosity, Freddy, you say you're not religious, but do you believe in God? :o You don't seem to be an atheist to me :o

Yes. You don't have to be religious to believe in God (or a supreme being) and/or in afterlife. My opinion that people should not be judged by what they believe in, but by what they  do in reality. So you are not going to be punished for reading Satanitic books. But when you start burning cats for Satan, this may cause a few problems.  ;D
~Charlie Sheen

Tags: