Poll

Which one is your favourite 3D Castlevania game?

Castlevania (N64)
6 (13%)
Legacy of Darkness (N64)
15 (32.6%)
Lament of Innocence (PS2)
11 (23.9%)
Curse of Darkness (PS2)
8 (17.4%)
Lords of Shadow (PS3)
6 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Your favourite 3D Castlevania  (Read 19915 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 12:21:00 AM »
And I found nothing to like in Lords of Shadow outside of the Castle segment. And apparently I'm too stupid to understand its plotline.
Aesthetically, yes, the castle segment is the only part I liked. There's some characters and parts of the story I liked, but don't overthink it, I found most of the dialogues between levels to do nothing for the story. In fact, all you have to pay attention to is like 3 or 4 scenes, one of them being the ending, and you have the story.
That said, the ending is very good and unexpected, and it works well together with MoF's story, which in my opinion was better (and also had more CV-like parts in the backgrounds).
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Beaumont_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Haunted Pixels
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 12:28:20 AM »
I probably would have liked Lords of Shadow. But the gameplay was tedious. I'm too old to learn combos or mash buttons for quick time events. I just want to whip something a couple times and have it die. I don't do quick time events anymore. QTEs are the video game equivalent of going to the movies and being asked to raise your hand at a certain point or you have to go back outside and get in line. There's no actual skill involved, just a childish memory/timing/mashing game.
He's back! The man behind the mask!

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 12:33:42 AM »
Easiest decision for me, LoD all the way.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 01:14:52 AM »
I probably would have liked Lords of Shadow. But the gameplay was tedious. I'm too old to learn combos or mash buttons for quick time events. I just want to whip something a couple times and have it die. I don't do quick time events anymore. QTEs are the video game equivalent of going to the movies and being asked to raise your hand at a certain point or you have to go back outside and get in line. There's no actual skill involved, just a childish memory/timing/mashing game.
Yes, completely! I hate QTE's!
But we are not that old! I'm 24 and I still hate them!
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 01:54:11 AM »
+5
Only time I've enjoyed QTEs: pleasuring women in God of War.

:O
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Puwexil

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Will viciously hate any that draw his/her ire, with little provocation. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 07:57:52 AM »
None of the 3D games play particularly well, so Lament is as good as it gets by virtue of its nocturnal, lonesome atmosphere exuded by the largely melancholic score and solitary setting. Curse expounds upon every problem Lament has, the N64 games are too unremarkable for me to enjoy or disparage to any real degree, and Lords isn't any good at all. The only difficulty in choosing a winner out of this lot derives from their shared utter mediocrity, it seems.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 08:23:26 AM »
+1
Only time I've enjoyed QTEs: pleasuring women in God of War.

:O

Me too, also Dragon's Lair and Super Adventures Rockman since these game are focused on that, but Rockman is different in battle scenes,
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 01:11:19 PM »
+1
I've cast my vote for Curse of Darkness.
Its unique atmosphere has never lost its charm for me. Flaws aside, I don't believe any other game has so perfectly emulated what I always felt Castlevania should feel like... It's a strange, beautiful world that it offers, one you can't easily leave once you've been drawn into it.
It's been steadily edging itself up into my list of favorites ever since I'd first played it. And its soundtrack can certainly blow you away...

Of course, 3D Castlevania has always been a mixed bunch. But in our enthusiasm we've learned to look past its flaws and appreciate it for what it offers -- and that's what matters most. I'm glad to see it.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 01:26:19 PM »
But since the release of LoI, CoD and the LoS trilogy, I personally can safely say that the N64 titles were pretty much spot-on right from the get-go.

And I will say this to all the people that say the n64 games suck I will always question them really all of you played them...it's like the whole internet hates the 64 titles? I feel that some just do it to be in the cool club to say the games suck...My gripe with the negativity is where does it come from it makes no sense. It's not perfect but LoD is a solid 8 in my book. Just imagine if it was given an other year people would have been tripping back then.

I really wish though that someone would make an "Ultimate Edition" of the 64 games that has all the characters and extra levels from LoD, but keeps the vastly superior level design from th original CV64. The levels in that game make a lot more sense and are much much better than the levels in LoD.

It would be nice to someday have an HD port of Legacy of Darkness that retains all that wasn't brought over from CV64 (intro forest level as an extra/hidden path, voiceover narration for Reinhardt and Carrie's quests, Dracula voice during first encounter, original alternate costumes, etc.). Easily my favorite 3D game in the series, but it's always bugged me that it didn't contain EVERYTHING from the first version.

The quotes above share my sentiments. It's easily between CV64 and LoD. However, since I haven't played LoD in many years, and own CV64, I'm leaning toward CV64. I just think that some of its level designs were better in CV64, even though LoD had more content and a lot of great new things. I'll have to think this over more before I make a choice. I really need to play through LoD again.

But after those games, I'd say LoI. And after that, it's tough to choose between CoD and LoS for the final place holder. Both have elements I really loathe for the franchise, and elements I respect. By the way, we all forgot to put Judgment on the list! ;D

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 04:31:00 PM »
+1
With all respect to other choices, but I'm glad so many people can see beyond the N64 games' flaws, so they are able to see the many virtues these games have.
While they say that they are hated over the internet (and I'm aware of that from past experiences), at least it seems people who is really into CV can see what those games really are.

To me the problems stated with the mechanics are just so blown out of proportion that I facepalm so much. I tell people that LoD is a very good game with replay value that was rare in my opinion heck maybe still today when I take platforming/action games into consideration and the teams ideas were not even fully realized.

cv 64 was a mess but LoD is great the only person that I have seen on the internet actually give a really good word on it was Knightwing. Jontron's review was all right more funny than anything there are some points he made which is why I liked it, even Avgn's review went through the good and bad but Kwing (to me at least to me) really hit the ball on this one.

If you have not I'll post the links except avgns one I think we all have seen that one.

Season 3 Playback Castlevania: Legacy Of Darkness Review

CastleVania Legacy of Darkness Review - JonTron (Part 1)

CastleVania Legacy of Darkness Review - JonTron (Part 2)

I always hear more bad than good but when everything is taken into consideration I feel that all the negativity is just blown out of proportion.

Also when I think of the n64 titles here on the dungeon I think of the conversations I had with RichterB about them. Dang it feels really long ago.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 10:23:17 PM »
And after all, it seems LoD will anyway win this poll very easily.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 06:29:14 PM »
Lament for me. I guess Puwexil-chan said most of my reasons, though I'm less a hater. I think there's something worthwhile in all of the 3D titles, but I just have so many good memories of Lament.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 07:01:13 PM »
+1
Order of Ecclesia

I played it on my 3DS, therefore it's a 3D Castlevania. :p
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2013, 12:42:17 PM »
LoD followed by CV 64, the rest are all mediocre-garbage.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2013, 07:40:40 PM »
I'm getting close to casting my vote, as I'm replaying LoD and comparing it to CV64.

Tags:

anything