Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Carpathian Night Starring Bela Lugosi  (Read 104965 times)

Offline Zydalc

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
Re: Carpathian Night - Steam Demo now available!
« Reply #225 on: August 16, 2021, 12:30:13 AM »
BTW I've now recently learned that Dracula was meant to look like Mephistopheles from Faust which is one of the characters that Irving played that inspired Stoker to the Dracula character from the book:

Since Stoker meant to have Dracula to be a Devil like figure so he isn't meant to look like a goth pretty boy from the start.

Also it's implausible for Dracula wearing a high collared cape that originated from Hamilton Deane's play and if he was wearing a cape at all he would be wearing something similar to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_the_Brave#/media/File:Misu_Popp_-_Mihai_Viteazul.jpg
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 12:31:45 AM by Zydalc »

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Carpathian Night - Steam Demo now available!
« Reply #226 on: August 16, 2021, 06:32:47 AM »
That is interesting information. I hate to admit, but my entire experience with Faust is reading about the silent film in one of my horror film books, but I intended to at least go through that film during the development of this game. Also, that second image reminds me of our own devil villain, Iscariot!

You're right though, I'm sure the physical features of our rendition of Dracula never crossed Stoker's mind. Perhaps we can have character art for the true "human" version of Dracula, before he was killed and resurrected as a vampire. This version of Dracula would have to more closely match what the people of the time period looked like, similar to how Dorin's face was directly inspired by Vlad the Monk.

However, Carpathian Night will have a strong "otherworldly" aspect to it, because we are structuring the story around Scholomance, school of the Devil. Without revealing too much, this was part of what guided the character design - we did not want students of Scholomance to appear "worldly", they have to look like the came from a completely different realm of existence, in this case, the realm of the Devil. In our lore, Scholomance is not on earth, only the portal to Scholomance is physically located in our world. The rules for everything, including physical appearance, must differ in the realm of the Devil in order to make the two sides of the battle more distinct. This is why Dorin, who is an average person, looks like the people from his era, but Dracula and Irina, who spent years in Scholomance, have taken an otherworldly appearance. If we do go through with the character art for "Human" Dracula, I think it would have to much more closely adhere to what an actual person of that era looked like, but not when he's been living under the study of the Devil himself for five years.

Plus, we aren't only taking inspiration from Dracula, as this is a monster-mash story. The Bible describes the devil as being beautiful, a visibly perfect being, who then turned to evil. It would not be out of line for the Devil's primary disciple to be reconstructed in his own image, including the way he presents himself visually. If we choose to portray the Devil in Carpathian Night, brace yourself because he will be made to look like the divine being of beauty as described in the holy text.

I invite you to keep posting these bit of knowledge, because they are genuinely interesting, but just keep in mind that we definitely need to take creative liberties and fill in the gaps, because Bram Stoker never wrote a story about Dracula commanding famous Universal and Hammer horror film monsters, so we are working with a massive contradiction to the source material from the very start.

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
Re: Carpathian Night - Kickstarter is live!
« Reply #227 on: August 17, 2021, 04:52:03 AM »
The Carpathian Night Kickstarter is live!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cesarhernandez/carpathian-night

The time has finally come! I hope to see many of you dungeon crawlers there! Thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread throughout the years, the feedback and encouragement has been our primary motivating factor, and we have reached a new milestone today! Thanks everyone, let us hunt some vampires together!

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #228 on: August 17, 2021, 06:55:16 AM »
Just backed it, good luck with the project! :)

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #229 on: August 17, 2021, 02:00:40 PM »
Just backed it, good luck with the project! :)

Thanks! The team is very grateful!

I updated the Steam demo today. Changes include:

-Ghosts now have a charging attack
-Wave Skulls now leave a trail and their speed and wave size varies
-Slime falling speed increased
-Spiral Skull enemy added to Borgo Ruins II
-Changed placement for some of the pickups
-Invisible Rogue AI adjustments
-Crouching attack bug fix

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #230 on: August 19, 2021, 07:58:50 AM »
We have reached 17% funding! Thanks to everyone that has donated so far and I hope to see many more of you join us on this vampire hunting adventure!

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #231 on: August 19, 2021, 01:26:04 PM »
Bookmarked the kickstarter page.
I'll see about getting in on it this week.
"Stuff and things."

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #232 on: August 20, 2021, 09:38:33 AM »
Bookmarked the kickstarter page.
I'll see about getting in on it this week.

Thank you!

We are inching closer to our goal!

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #233 on: August 23, 2021, 12:56:53 PM »
We had a chat with DreadXP about Carpathian Night! Check out the conversation below:

https://www.dreadxp.com/interview/carpathian-night-interview-a-castlevania-inspired-sidescroller-on-kickstarter-now

As for Kickstarter, I am happy to announce we are currently at 38% of our funding goal with 23 days left to go! Thanks again to everyone who has donated, and I hope to see more dungeon crawlers on the pledge list! 

Also, we took a trip to the National Video Game Museum this past weekend! Does anybody recognize this somber fellow in the background?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 01:15:04 PM by VladOfWallachia »

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #234 on: August 23, 2021, 09:08:07 PM »
Ferris Bueller! :D

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #235 on: August 26, 2021, 08:29:39 AM »
Kickstarter Update!
We are almost to the halfway point, at 47% funded! We also sold all six of the Castle Portraits! Things are still looking very hopeful and I feel very confident about reaching our goal.

We often get asked where our sources of inspiration come from - of course, we all know it starts with the Dracula novel, movies, and Super Castlevania IV, but there are countless others. Just looking at Dracula comics and graphic novels alone, we've got a nice collection going of great material, as seen below:

I haven't gone through all of them, but the all of the ones I have read are fantastic. The most recent of that lineup, the Bela Lugosi Dracula, is my current favorite of the bunch and I highly recommend it to any fan of Dracula or classic horror cinema. I also highly recommend the comic adaptation of the 1992 Dracula film, as the art style in that version is fantastic. I will commit to going through the others I haven't read during the upcoming Halloween season! This is one of the many reasons I enjoy working on this game so much, because doing research means having to read a bunch of great and captivating material.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 08:48:51 AM by VladOfWallachia »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #236 on: August 26, 2021, 10:09:11 AM »
This is one of the many reasons I enjoy working on this game so much, because doing research means having to read a bunch of great and captivating material.

I'll bet  :o
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #237 on: August 27, 2021, 07:56:44 AM »
I was playing Zombicide: Black Plague when I came across this playable character....

Details about our play session below!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cesarhernandez/carpathian-night/posts/3285404

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #238 on: August 27, 2021, 09:49:22 AM »
lol. They snuck him in eh? He's missing one more skill though; Impalement.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #239 on: August 31, 2021, 08:58:13 AM »
Kickstarter Update!
We are currently at 55% funded! We are feeling confident about the second half of the campaign!

We posted another Tabletop Session update. You dungeon crawlers should check this game out if you haven't already:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cesarhernandez/carpathian-night/posts/3288686

Tags:

anything