Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: You can see who upvoted/downvoted you  (Read 29686 times)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: June 13, 2013, 08:36:18 AM »
+2
I hope it doesn't create ABSOLUTE CHAOS in the board.
This is an experiment.

Also, I recounted the post totals, to make sure everyone's numbers are on the up and up.

A am noticing that people seem to have 'buddies' who have gone back pages and pages just to upvote them, even if the post was rather trivial.
Is that really necessary, guys?
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
Re: You can see who upvoted/downvoted you
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 08:50:41 AM »
This is a terrible idea.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 09:22:22 AM »
Actually, I think this is a good idea, since people will now think twice before voting.
Also, no more downvote-bombing because you can get away with it.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 09:26:04 AM »
+1
people will now think twice before voting.
Also, no more downvote-bombing because you can get away with it.

Exactly. Thus leading to uniform voting habits. People won't really vote what the want, because they don't want to get the stink eye.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 09:34:51 AM »
I think this is also a good idea. I'd rather see the Perps who downvoted who rather then having them hide in the shadows like cowardly dogs. In all seriousness if said individuals can't openly come out and admit their actions then they're a bunch of immature school kids with nothing better to do except be an ass. And those asses were made for kicking.

This is a terrible idea.

I that case the voting system should be removed for everyones' benefit. But if we intend to hold onto the voting system then absolute transparency is mandatory.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:36:57 AM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 09:38:05 AM »
Exactly. Thus leading to uniform voting habits. People won't really vote what the want, because they don't want to get the stink eye.
Well, if they think it's the right thing to do, then they shouldn't be afraid anyway.
Point is, people will be voting with reason now. I think it's a better option than letting them run around and vote arbitrarily.

EDIT: Uh, Jorge? I tried going back to one of my older posts to see who voted on it, but everything looks the same. No voters, score only.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:42:41 AM by VladCT »
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 09:59:49 AM »
I'll be honest, I just upvote posts from a lot of people cause I love them...and I love everybody *_*

Seriously though, I don't think this is a great idea. If people can see who downvoted them, it might lead to grudges, bad feelings, and that sort of thing. At least anonymity does something to ward off that bad stuff.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 10:19:33 AM »
+2
To be honest, I'm used to upvote people I like, not in old posts, but in the posts I see every day (provided I like the posts, of course, which is generally the case).
And if they can see now who do it, I will continue to do it anyway. More than once I even publicly expressed "+1" to you. To Lelygax, Laina, Shiroi, Gaawa, and many others...
There's nothing to hide. I think it's a good idea.
Also, this will put a break to some unnecessary downvoting.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 10:30:19 AM »
+1
I downvote people. :P
But I also upvote the same people if they say something good.  :D

This is why this is experimental.
If I see forum strife (one of the things that bug me the most), then I will look into ways of resetting the system (everyone gets Zero) and then change a few options around.

At this point I'm not so sure it's a good idea, which is why I'm only testing it out.

@VladCT - You will only see the dropdown if you're using a Javascript-enabled browser.  If you're viewing on a cellphone it may not work.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 11:32:36 AM »
Well, if they think it's the right thing to do, then they shouldn't be afraid anyway.

People get pluses and minuses in a cumulative manner. Well liked people (mostly those who have been around enough) and the "authority" gets them more than anyone. It's more about the person posting than the post itself - most of the time.. If we'd really want more honest answers that are more about the posts, shouldn't we be getting rid of the "respect" number? That way it won't affect the person's reputation in such a public way.

And if someone wants to vent out by slapping minuses, isn't it better than spamming or whatever? You can always negate their work by upvoting the posts. I mean, I think that's kind of amusing. It's funny if you start getting downvotes and then you can guess who's doing it. If someone cares enough about the posts, it's like a virtual whodunnit. But instead of a murder, your rep number is being attacked. How exciting!  ;D

Not that this affects my life considerably. But IMO, this will lead to more boring results. Just sayin' etc.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 11:33:55 AM »
This sounds like a discussion about REAL voting rights.

How can you see who voted? In your profile?

I'm a member of a small political movement and we take all our voting openly. But that's only because we can allow that, being a small movement and all. In a big organization, secrecy has its benefits.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 11:42:43 AM »
To be honest, I'm used to upvote people I like, not in old posts, but in the posts I see every day (provided I like the posts, of course, which is generally the case).
And if they can see now who do it, I will continue to do it anyway. More than once I even publicly expressed "+1" to you. To Lelygax, Laina, Shiroi, Gaawa, and many others...
There's nothing to hide. I think it's a good idea.
Also, this will put a break to some unnecessary downvoting.

It's true +1 to you this time . I'm kind of the opposite I do minus ones but only when it really matters but then there are other   times.

As for  my rep I kind of keep it like  a high score so it can be fun at times.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 11:59:57 AM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 11:54:43 AM »
Thanks, Jorge.

Now it's payback time.

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 12:27:22 PM »

Agreeing with this ^^^

Imagine you vote down someone who you have had bad discussions with in the past.

That person will most likely make a big deal about "oh, your downvoting me just because you do not like me *insert member title here*".

The person making the vote will then most likely be drawn into a flame war situation.

All this really mostly does is make it more convenient for people to know exactly who to flame at when they get a downvote.

EDIT

Also, mind explaining how you can see this?

So far I haven't noticed a option to check and see who upvoted/downvoted your posts.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:32:28 PM by DarkPrinceAlucard »

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Laina

• F.A.N.G. stands for “fucking awful, not great”, babe - me to UZO on SFV
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. Seeks to keep games/fandoms free of any changes they deem Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 12:38:18 PM »
+1
I can see some good in this-like a previous poster said, maybe people will think twice before down-voting something, or it will curb emotion driven vote bombing. As a whole though, I'm not so sure this is such a good idea.

Not everyone's an open book-we all express opinions in private, it's an emotional well being necessity. Some people will always be apprehensive about voicing their opinions openly for various reasons; the anonymity thing lets people have that freedom without fear of repercussion, lets them "get it out". Of course that has a downside, which we already discussed (vote-bombing, petty vendettas, etc.), but I think the good of anonymity outweighs the bad. As A-Yty said, I feel this will lead to uniform voting, which will lead to resentment/discontent, OR, on the flip-side, possible calling out of "the offender" & then a flame war, and just general not-gonna-end-well-ness for the forum.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:40:39 PM by Laina »
Groove is in the heart.

Tags: chaos 

anything