Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: So who watched Dreamworks' Voltron on Netflix?  (Read 5046 times)

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
So who watched Dreamworks' Voltron on Netflix?
« on: June 20, 2018, 01:16:12 AM »
I semi-marathoned the series over the course of a week. I watched all of season 6 in one morning before work -- well, all except parts of the last episode when I dozed off. I gotta say, I was disappointed in the last season. The D&D episode was entertaining, but for a series that didn't really have any actual filler episodes (anything that might have been filler usually was pertinent later in the series), it seemed out of place. I was kinda bummed they didn't do more with the alternate realities, but I was so happy that Sloth was there. I loved how they waited all the way until season 6 to reveal Shiro's plot, even though I suspected it all along. The fight scenes were amazing! The soundtrack, although simplistic, gave the whole series a certain feel that I wasn't expecting. I liked a lot of the jokes, even though my fiance thought I was retarded. I loved Lotor, although I felt his divisive rant was a bit awkward -- maybe he just got carried away with the moment, but it felt a wee bit out of character. Speaking of character, I liked how each of the paladins had a very specific character trait and stuck with it throughout the series, with any changes in personality being explained as well.

I just wish it was longer and that the season lengths weren't so uneven. Oh, and in some cases I couldn't tell where a season ended and the next began. One time I was like, "Is this a new season?" and I hit <BACK> only to find out that I was already in episode 3 of that season. In other words, it didn't feel like there was any clear delineation between seasons. That's okay, but it was just something that nagged me about it.

Oh, and it was too cheerily optimistic. A couple on-screen deaths, but most deaths were just implied from ships blowing up or glossed over by cybernetics, so there wasn't really any lasting dramatic emotion in the series.I didn't like that. I'm getting jaded from my anime, I think...  :P
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
Re: So who watched Dreamworks' Voltron on Netflix?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 04:41:18 PM »
I still have to see the episodes that came out recently, but am otherwise caught up.
So far I love it.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 10:12:35 PM »
Haven't watched Voltron since the original series was aired in the US back in the early 80's when I was but a wee lad.

Offline Darkmoon

• ICVD Keeper
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I Have No Idea Where I'm Going
    • Castlevania: The Inverted Dungeon
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 07:06:29 PM »
You really should check out the new run, Blood. I was a fan of the old series back in the day (got the whole run of Beat King Go Lion on my shelf) and the new run holds up well. It's respectful of the old series while finding new twists on the material. A very enjoyable watch.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 01:55:55 AM »
Damn, they have 6 seasons out already? I have some catching up to do.

I really liked the show...I liked it a lot more than I initially thought I would. But I think I'm backwards from most fans when I say that I liked Shiro, but was usually annoyed by Keith. His brash, emotional responses to everything just got tiring.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 03:15:54 PM »
Damn, they have 6 seasons out already? I have some catching up to do.

I really liked the show...I liked it a lot more than I initially thought I would. But I think I'm backwards from most fans when I say that I liked Shiro, but was usually annoyed by Keith. His brash, emotional responses to everything just got tiring.

They rip into Keith about that a lot. It got odd when he lead the team and they ALL just went along with it even when his actions were wrong. But his backstory kinda explains his behavior. Personally I liked Pidge and Sloth the most. But Shiro definitely made the show feel a bit more mature than the other characters did.

Offline Darkmoon

• ICVD Keeper
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 08:24:43 PM »
I didn't mind Keith, but I still don't feel like Lance is much of a character. What does he do, really, besides lust after the Princess?

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 05:06:16 PM »
Um, not much. Even when he "matured" it didn't seem like he changed at all to me.

Offline Darkmoon

• ICVD Keeper
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 08:47:48 PM »
He got a cow. That was his growth. Pffff.

Tags: