Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The first sign rises with the full moon.  (Read 1001401 times)

Offline FanOfDracula

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: The first sign rises with the full moon.
« Reply #3330 on: May 25, 2018, 09:32:44 AM »
I agree with piscesdreams, the game has many details

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3331 on: May 25, 2018, 10:03:30 AM »
Welcome back Claimh!

hehehe this portrait
https://i.redditmedia.com/ifWehaYbSoLDd07a1YASrxNNgTKIcbq9MEpQOnod8fY.jpg?s=2fa927fafc51fb1d7016e508ae5b565d

As soon as I came to the first portrait in the game I knew what was going to happen to me...and it did  :P  The second time I was more prepared and used Gebel's Simon-based SCV4 angle attack to stop it. I can agree with piscesdreams about some of the aspects of the game. I did feel unpolished in some areas, like they were in a hurry to get this out into the market. I hope they don't do that with RotN. But overall playing the game was a nice throwback to CV. Something we many never experience again unless Konami get's back on the horse.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #3332 on: May 25, 2018, 11:18:05 AM »
This might as well be Castlevania 5, I love it! Can't believe this was only announced 2 weeks ago too, definitely one of the nicest surprises of the year.

My only complaint is the lack of Boss HP meter during Boss Battles, it would help a ton if I knew how much damage I actually was doing to the bosses.

IGA and Inticreates made a damn fine Classicvania! :D I hope they work on a 16/32 bit sequel....

Offline aensland

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Music Concert 1st Place 2017-02-Music Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #3333 on: May 25, 2018, 11:37:08 AM »
Let Yamane and Yamada do the whole soundtrack, what a mess

Otherwise 9/10 game, sometimes it felt more like ninja gaiden or mega man than castlevania, but this isn't castlevania so whatever.
I wish the bosses weren't that telegraphed, the twin dragons and the library boss are the worst offenders.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3334 on: May 25, 2018, 01:56:34 PM »
Who's the composer? I actually liked stage 5's theme.

Offline aensland

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Music Concert 1st Place 2017-02-Music Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #3335 on: May 25, 2018, 02:20:38 PM »
Who's the composer? I actually liked stage 5's theme.
Stage 5 is Voyage of Promise from Michiru Yamane.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 08:57:10 AM by aensland »

Offline Zuljaras

• Castletoria (Game Project)
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #3336 on: May 26, 2018, 10:40:03 AM »
Guys I thought Castlevania is dead. But it is not. It is just like Dracula. It reincarnated into Bloodstained.

I want more and more games of Bloodstained in the future.

Curse of the Moon is a hit. If Ritual of the Night is as promised then we could get:

Aria of Dissonance
Zangetsu's Quest
Order of the Shardbinders
Stainglass of Ruin

And more titles created from combinations from previous CV titles :D :D :D

Seriously I am still blown away of how such a small game is SO good!
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #3337 on: May 26, 2018, 11:02:32 AM »
I’m going to be probably the unpopular opinion here, but I’m sadly disappointed in Curse of the Moon. It’s level design feels unfinished and unpolished in spots and I didnt find a single bit of music to be at all memorable. There are parts where it felt solid and polished, and then about 70% of the game felt like it was still in testing. The bosses were incredibly repetitive and not at all threatening. Some of the enemy “AI” was just downright lazy too.

I was thinking you will like it, really this was weird to read coming from you XD.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #3338 on: May 26, 2018, 11:36:38 AM »
I finished Nightmare mode last night, that was such a cool final boss! :o

Working on both Zangetsu only runs now, so far it's incredibly difficult.

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3339 on: May 26, 2018, 07:39:30 PM »
How many endings are there? So far I've got:

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 07:41:11 PM by The Puritan »

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #3340 on: May 26, 2018, 09:29:53 PM »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #3341 on: May 26, 2018, 10:19:30 PM »

(click to show/hide)

Uh there's something wrong here. Here's how it went for me:

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 02:07:26 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #3342 on: May 26, 2018, 10:32:48 PM »
My first impressions aren't great, although most of the problems have to do with playing on PC instead of console.  The keyboard controls are awful, although they are configurable.  I don't have a great controller to use with my PC because I never play games on PC.

My only real complaint aside from the platform is the soundtrack.  It's 100% Shovel Knight, and 0% Castlevania.  To be fair, I've only played the first stage, and I have to keep reminding myself this isn't actually Castlevania.  But when Inti Creates's goal was clearly to make a notCV3, would it have killed them to use something similar to the NES's soundchip?

Eh, there's a ton of game left ahead of me.  I'll probably wait til I get my console code before playing more of it, but I'm sure I'll end up enjoying the game overall.

Sorry for quoting myself, but I just wanted to say I've played the game with a proper controller now, and I'm enjoying it.  I played up to level 6 I think, and I'm leaving the rest for later.  I still don't care much for the soundtrack, except the obvious Michiru Yamane BGM for level 5 - and even that is really similar to Michiru's past compositions (the songs from The Pinnacle in Dawn of Sorrow, and the Forest of Doom in Portrait of Ruin, especially).  I actually don't care much for the Lives mechanic, where you don't lose a life until you've lost all four characters.  If you switch to a new character when your life gets low, then you end up with essentially three extra slim chances of survival each time you die.  I'd rather respawn with all four characters at maximum health each time, at the cost of one life point.  This just seems drawn out, although technically it's easier than what I'm suggesting.

What I really wanted to say is that the game is quite good, now that I've played it with proper controls.  I can't hold the keyboard controls and the download code flub against the game itself, after all.  If the soundtrack was as good as that of CV3, I might have to rank this game the higher of the two.  At the very least it would be comparable.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #3343 on: May 27, 2018, 12:03:57 AM »
Does anyone else feel that Stage 6 is just poorly designed? Or is that just me?

EDIT: I really hate the fact that if you lose a character you have to restart an entire boss fight, even if you haven't lost a life. It's especially annoying in the Stage 8 boss. I know it's done to encourage you to switch your character, but in these boss fights where all of my deaths have been due to me getting pushed off the stage, it's literally out of my control to switch my character.

EDIT 2: I should remark that, at the very least, I'd like it if when you have to retry during the same life, it doesn't play the boss introduction cutscenes EVERY SINGLE TIME you repeat the boss. It gets so old after a while.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 02:05:15 AM by Claimh Solais »
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #3344 on: May 27, 2018, 02:05:10 AM »
my best run so far :´v

(click to show/hide)

Tags:

anything