Poll

Which do you prefer, even if only slightly? Expand upon your choice in the comments or remain anonymous.

ClassicVania
20 (33.9%)
MetroidVania
6 (10.2%)
I really enjoy them both equally.
31 (52.5%)
3Dvania
0 (0%)
3Dvania (Specify IGA or Cox era)
2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The Big Question: ClassicVania or MetroidVania  (Read 21387 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
The Big Question: ClassicVania or MetroidVania
« on: July 04, 2012, 02:36:29 PM »
What it says on the tin.

PS- D'Oh, meant the last option to say "Specify N64, IGA or Cox era."
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 02:38:18 PM by Ratty »

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: The Big Question: ClassicVania or MetroidVania
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 03:46:41 PM »
Classic all the way  :) I am kind of full right now so I can't say why right now to much food gotta jog soon and work it off  :-[
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 05:45:17 PM »
While I will enjoy a good metroidvania whenever I get the craving, my mind will always go back to the Classicvanias.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Koutei

• Uboaaa!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • The Japanese People
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 06:42:56 PM »
I Love Classic.
I'm on hiatus now.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 08:45:27 PM »
While I do love the classic games a lot, I have to admit the act of exploring is something I enjoy the most.

I do however feel that the RPG elements could be toned down, and end up ruining any sort of classic challenge the games could have.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 10:36:33 PM »
Hard choices but I went with both.

Offline Lucius J. Belmont

• Bathrobe Werewolf
  • Hunter in Training
  • stronger, more resilient than a spider
    • im mike jones
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 12:09:52 AM »
Depends on the mood, really. Plummeting to your pixellated doom is a different animal from grinding wargs for souls. Do I prefer chocolate meringue pie, or steak? YES.
"Well of course I understand. You live forever because your pure, sinless service is utterly and indomitably unballasted by any weight or dross of mere human weakness. Ah, the advantages of clean living."

Offline CrashDiary27

• Hunter in Training
  • game over
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 06:53:24 AM »
I like them both as long as it keeps the castlevania mood and surroundings.

Offline Johnny Alucard

• Vampire Hunter
  • Shanoa x Monica OTP
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 11:13:09 AM »
Both. They're both great game genres.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 10:08:16 AM »
+1
Both, and even 3D games (N64, IGA, LoS).

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 10:53:33 AM »
+1
I like the branching paths style of classicvania best. I find it to be the most fun and with a few collectables thrown in like in DXC it hella fun.
"Stuff and things."

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 11:30:35 AM »
Classic, easily. The Metroidvania games are fun, and I always replay them, but they don't quite have the lasting appeal of the Classicvania games for me. Also, I like how the storylines  were more concise in the classic games.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 07:07:46 PM »
I love them both, but I have very little time to get invested in lengthy games lately, so right now I prefer the "pick-up-and-play" style of the classics
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 03:29:52 PM »
SOTN belongs up there with the best, but beyond that...the Classicvanias win, hands-down.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Sul_Yong

• Hunter in Training
  • Go ahead and laugh, this world's terrible enough.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 12:59:53 PM »
I really do enjoy both of them equally... There's a reason I enjoying playing Castlevania... it's not because it's centered around hunting Dracula, the most powerful and pimp of all vampires, or that you're playing as a manly man in a leather skirt using a whip, or that it constantly references Tolkien and a lot of religious legends, though these do help... It's because it's so ridiculously fun.
The Classicvanias offer the one thing I want in a video game: a very fun challenge. I haven't beaten a single one yet except Dracula X Chronicles, yet I keep going back and playing them... when I play a classic action game, I want to die a lot, I wish to game over constantly, just so that beating the game actually feels like an accomplishment.
Metroidvanias aren't as challenging, no, but the same extremely fun gameplay is still there. Yet they do something else for me: they add variety to the gameplay... And when you get extremely powerful leveling up, they do something else for me: they make me feel powerful. I enjoy working my butt off to get the most powerful weapon just to use it and feel very accomplished while using it. It pays off. Yeah, you have to grind in Metroidvanias, but to me, destroying undead never gets old. And if I feel I need a challenge out of the game, I can just play as the hidden character or an alternate mode, which in every Metroidvania I played, is always awesome and badass when you're playing it, but you also almost always die in about 5-8 hits, which it then starts to test your very skill at the game, which I enjoy so much.
I've also played Curse of Darkness, which I enjoyed it about as much and for the same reason I enjoy the Metroidvanias, so I won't go on much there.
The other 3Dvania I played was Lords of Shadow, and I couldn't find much fun with the game because the combat system wasn't that good IMO... It just wasn't as fun; My whip's power never got stronger, so it was challeging... but when I'm practically spending a minute or two just to kill one minor enemy, and then they swarm you, the challenge doesn't feel fun... That was really my main problem with that game, and for right now that's all I'll say about it...
Lord of Shadow aside, for every Castlevania game I play, if I'm not haven't fun while playing it, then I must be doing something wrong.

Tags:

anything