Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What game(s) have you been playing lately?  (Read 586556 times)

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: What game(s) have you been playing lately?
« Reply #120 on: June 27, 2012, 09:03:41 PM »
Gargoyle's Quest.
This game is great! I don't know why I never really gave these games a chance. Gargoyle's Quest for the Gameboy is well-balanced, and has a great way of making you feel like you're becoming more powerful as the game progresses without it becoming easier. Especially in the last few levels, where you can hover forever, and are required to use ALL the skills and upgrades you've acquired throughout the game. You really feel accomplished each time you complete a level. It's quite short, but that's to be expected from a Gameboy game. I can beat it in about an hour and 15 minutes now, but the first time through, when you're learning the levels, it can take a while.

I highly recommend it for platforming-heavy action game fans. 3DS owners can get it for about $5 from the eShop.

Darn good game have the sequel for the nes never knew filght was that diverse  :)
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #121 on: June 27, 2012, 11:07:14 PM »
yeah the gameboy one was always one of my fav games from then. I couldnt really get into the nes one and then of course theres Demon Crest on SNES

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2012, 01:58:02 AM »
Just started playing Super Paper Mario. Didn't think I'd like it at first, but it's picking up a bit. Also playing Doom, which I normally do about once a year or so (along with Doom II). Those first 2 Doom games are among my all-time favorites.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2012, 10:58:44 PM »
yeah the gameboy one was always one of my fav games from then. I couldnt really get into the nes one

That's kind of odd because to me the NES game practically feels like an 8-bit remake of the original. Both are fantastic games.

Demon's Crest is one of my top ten favorites.

Been playing the Game Boy Donkey Kong since Club Nintendo had it for "free" (Club Nintendo coins). I ignored it at first because, you know, it's Donkey Kong, and that game only offers up so much entertainment for me...but then on a whim I decided to look into it and found out it's actually its own unique game after you get past the four original stages, and that it was a precursor to Mario vs. Donkey Kong. My mind was blown as I knew nothing about this. To think Mario was doing all those double- and triple-jumps and backflips and stuff before his first N64 outing.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2012, 11:08:48 PM »

Been playing the Game Boy Donkey Kong since Club Nintendo had it for "free" (Club Nintendo coins). I ignored it at first because, you know, it's Donkey Kong, and that game only offers up so much entertainment for me...but then on a whim I decided to look into it and found out it's actually its own unique game after you get past the four original stages, and that it was a precursor to Mario vs. Donkey Kong. My mind was blown as I knew nothing about this. To think Mario was doing all those double- and triple-jumps and backflips and stuff before his first N64 outing.

:) It's the best version in my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 11:00:17 AM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #125 on: June 30, 2012, 09:40:18 AM »
I just beat Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

Think I'm gonna start Revelations soon.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #126 on: June 30, 2012, 11:05:22 AM »
+1
Also playing Doom, which I normally do about once a year or so (along with Doom II). Those first 2 Doom games are among my all-time favorites.
You might enjoy this video, the guy does a nice job of putting into words some of the reasons why Doom is still so good after all these years.
Errant Signal - DOOM

That's kind of odd because to me the NES game practically feels like an 8-bit remake of the original. Both are fantastic games.

Demon's Crest is one of my top ten favorites.

Played quite a bit of Gargoyle's Quest before I lost my cart (found it again months later, haven't started again yet) and it probably is one of the best action games on the GB, along with the latter two CV titles on the system. I've wanted to get that edition of Donkey Kong since I saw the CGR review for it Classic Game Room HD - DONKEY KONG for Game Boy review Kicked myself a little bit for not getting it for like $6 at the flea market years ago, but how was I supposed to know it would be such an awesome expanded version?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 11:18:07 AM by Ratty »

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: June 30, 2012, 11:08:47 AM »
Mark is awesome :)

Was watching some of the final fantasy reviews he did with TJ a day ago.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Nail_Bombed

• Indra's Fire
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Carlsberg
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Metal Ireland
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #128 on: June 30, 2012, 04:18:04 PM »
Played through The Walking Dead point-and-click adventure game from Telltale Games last night. Awesome stuff, good narrative, some heart wrenching moments, and also many literal gut-wrenching ones... there was one choice that had me having to hack through someone's leg to save them, and that was not pretty in the least.
If a man chooses, and a slave obeys, then what are you if you choose to obey?

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2012, 06:00:18 PM »
Since I never really play just one game at a time, I've been juggling all of these:

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure (needs a sequel, dammit)
The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection (looks amazing and runs well)
Game Boy Donkey Kong
Rayman Origins (looking forward to the Wii U sequel)
Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy)
Lollipop Chainsaw (second time through)
Kirby's Return to Dream Land (holy shit I'm in heaven)
Donkey Kong Country Returns (bring me a Wii U sequel where you press Y to roll)
Silent Hill 3 (I haven't actually picked it up in months, but I intend to; was replaying the original four in order)
Last Window: The Secret of Cape West

and since I just picked up Shadows of the Damned on 360 since it doesn't have the poor audio compression that the PS3 release does and it's one of my favorite games of the past decade, I'll likely be playing through that again real soon.

There's also like a million games I got pretty far into but never finished, but they're too numerous to list and it isn't relevant since I haven't touched them in years. But one of them I'd really like to go back to is the current-gen Splatterhouse.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2012, 10:51:47 PM »
I really shot my-self in the foot here. Besides playing vesperia I am also playing final fantasy XIII not good playing two RPGs at the same time  :-X
(click to show/hide)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2012, 11:39:15 PM »
So I've been rocking the 360 Shadows of the Damned for a while and damn does it sound so much better than the PS3 release. Now I'm wondering if I should also score the 360 version of Alice: Madness Returns* since the PS3 version of that suffered the same audio compression issues.

Stupid EA. Couldn't even be bothered to release patches.

*('Course, it may still not come with the free download code for American McGee's Alice, and that would be a drag as I'd hate to hang on to the PS3 disc just to play it, or pay $10 for the game.)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 11:42:39 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #132 on: July 01, 2012, 12:51:07 AM »
*('Course, it may still not come with the free download code for American McGee's Alice, and that would be a drag as I'd hate to hang on to the PS3 disc just to play it, or pay $10 for the game.)

Now don't get your hopes up, but I probably have a 360 code hanging around somewhere.

Probably.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: July 01, 2012, 05:32:06 AM »
S'all good though, I found out the PS3 version is (generally) slightly better in the visual department with better anti-aliasing. I no like no rough, jagged edges. Well, that's not true, but I prefer 'em smooved. And since the Alice games are such visual experiences (and the fact the music in the sequel is nowhere near as good as the original's), I think I'll just stick to my current copy.

Although I don't know why I'm messing about with consoles. I oughta build a nice gaming computer and just have the best of cross-platforming gaming. But despite the advancements, I'm just a console gamer at heart...
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #134 on: July 01, 2012, 06:31:30 AM »
I really wanna play Alice: Madness Returns. I never get around to actually buying it though :(

Right now I'm playing the iPhone port of Shining Force. I finished this game back in the days of the Genesis and I still remember almost every battle (I'm at chapter 5 right now).

I also remember having a lot of problems with some of the battles, such as the one with the Laser Eye canon, and the Marionette boss in the circus tent battle. But now I'm breezing through everything! Back in 1993 this was my very first SRPG so maybe I'm just more skilled at the genre now.

The only thing you ever have to think about is the balance act of keeping the main character out of harms way at all times, while still level him up. Things also gets a little tougher when you promote your characters. I promoted them all as soon as they hit level 10, which I now understand is a bad idea (you're supposed to wait til level 20 to get better and easier level ups later on in the game. Never knew thus back in the day.)

Anyway, this is still a very good game. The item managment is super clunky, worse than I remember it, and the game is very linear and story-driven with no random battles at all (makes leveling a bit cumbersome cause you have to exit battles before you kill the last enemy, and then start over.). But I love it still. I hope the sequel makes it someday. It's arguably a much better game and one of my favourite RPGs of all time.

Tags:

anything